Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i finally found an 01-03 instrument cluster on ebay for $58 shipped, so i bought it. they're backlit like alot of new luxury cars are, and have a better gauge layout. since their dashboards are almost identical to 95-00, i figured i'd give it a try.

came in the mail today... here are pics vs. a 95-96 cluster:

The basic shape is almost identical...im 100% sure i can mount it without any modification needed...but as you can see, the electrical parts are entirely different, as i suspected. the 01-03 has 56 pins, and the 95-96 has 50, so i need to figure out what goes where and how. Anyone got any wiring diagrams? I also will probably have to solder wires to the pins simply because i'll never in a million years find those electrical clips, ive only seen a couple millenia's at the junkyard, and all were 95-96.
Anyone know if the entire dashboard wiring harness will swap? if thats the case, i might just buy the dash harness from mazda(priced @$108) since i have to put a new dash in my 95 due to airbag damage... any help would greatly be appreciated!

-Eric

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
so the top one's an 01/02 millenia cluster?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by DoN_BLaZe34@Feb 25 2005, 04:25 PM
so the top one's an 01/02 millenia cluster?
[snapback]250890[/snapback]​
in the first pic yes, in the second pic, no.

-Eric

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
i was wondering when someone would do this...good luck with the mod

there was a junkyard somewhere near BHR a few months ago with at least 1-2 01/02 millenias - if he'd go to one of them you might make out better...no promises since i'm not him...

next time i go down there i do wanna go to this place if they still have them tho...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd pay $60 or so for a used dash harness... or $20 for the clips with some feet of wire. Anyone know if the sensors for the spedo or tach are different? i think they changed the distributors so it might take a different signal... I'm going to try this no matter what... :)

I just got done test fitting it and it fits just fine... the shape is slightly different but not enough to make a ruckus about.

-Eric

·
Registered
37,395 Posts
I have indeed thought about doing this for a very long time with putting some into the 2000. My biggest concern was that the 01-02 are digital odometers, and 94-00 are not....so either no mileage will be recorded at all, or it would be way off...either way it may cause odometer "fraud" issue's with a title.

if you suceed at this I will follow, I love the newer gauges.

btw, yes there was, and still is a 2002 black millenia at a junkyard near me, the gauges were alreayd claimed though

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Originally posted by MazdaMiester@Feb 25 2005, 02:40 PM
Well i finally found an 01-03 instrument cluster on ebay for $58 shipped, so i bought it. they're backlit like alot of new luxury cars are, and have a better gauge layout. since their dashboards are almost identical to 95-00, i figured i'd give it a try.
-Eric
[snapback]250839[/snapback]​
2 tips:
1) u see the top black "papers" that contain the numbering. I went to the hobby lobby and got sum stiff colored tissue paper and put behind there.The lighting shines through. It looks real nice. I tried blue first, then switched to a lighter purple color. pics below

2) If i recall correctly the older millys dont have gear indicators in them. Some pins could be for those. Also the newer ones lights r on all the time.They are controlled by a photo-diode. They get brighter when it gets darker out. Not sure if the older ones had this either, but they would also account for the extra pins...

·
Registered
305 Posts
Tip #3) since the top one is the one u want to use change the needles over from the bottom one, since they are white it will much better :thumbsup:

·
Registered
37,395 Posts
damn...I really do like that purple. I do NOT like that they get brighter when it gets darker, at dusk I hate that crap.

97-00 did not have the gear shifter, I have to assume that the extra pins could again be more mileage, since there is no cable it would need an extra signal from the ecu.

updates on this are required

mazda - where are you located?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Originally posted by ///BHRpowered@Feb 25 2005, 11:30 PM
damn...I really do like that purple. I do NOT like that they get brighter when it gets darker, at dusk I hate that crap.

97-00 did not have the gear shifter, I have to assume that the extra pins could again be more mileage, since there is no cable it would need an extra signal from the ecu.

updates on this are required

mazda - where are you located?
[snapback]250992[/snapback]​
u can set the max brightness (with the thumb-dial) and it varies under that puiont. also the pics dont really show it as good purp. as brighten the dial it goes more to white. u have a set of 01/02's dont u. if u get the wiring figured out, this is a cheap mod to look into; the paper is only like a few cents....

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
hmmm

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by max626@Feb 25 2005, 11:08 PM
Tip #3) since the top one is the one u want to use change the needles over from the bottom one, since they are white it will much better :thumbsup:
[snapback]250982[/snapback]​
Problem with that, is it will throw the calibration of the gauges way off. The needle's weight is how its calibrated, if you change that(which im sure the needles weight is different) then the gauge wont read correctly, i also kinda dig the orange :)

BHR, i'm in st.louis, Missouri... can you get me the electrical connectors for the gauges? I've got $ in paypal designated for some :) like i said, i'd pay good money for the entire dash harness.

Here are my concerns with this project:
1> igntion systems... i think the distributors are different, arent they coilpacks in 01-02? and because of that the strength of the tach signal could be vastly different... this could easily be fixed with an MSD tach adapter, i also might be putting a jacobs on the car so that wouldnt hurt

2> temperature and gas level sensors could be different, im headed to the dealership monday to figure that out.

3>now brought up, the autodimming feature of the gauges... i can fix this easy, those photoelectric diodes are $5 at the most at local electric shops, all i have to do is build a plastic box, and mount the sensor inside of it, the box would be about an inchXinchXinch and totally sealed. that way it'd be 100% dark and the sensor would tell the gauges to be on maximum brightness all the time, which is what i'd want, and still be adjustable from the dimmer switch

4>spedometer....did they change the spedometer gear? there isnt a cable in any millenia, they stopped that after the 1g 929. my concern is that they for whatever dumb reason changed the ratio of diff ring gear to vehicle speed sensor and my spedometer may never read correctly

5> dash harness is different where it meets the car harness, im sure it is...at least i think it is, i still want to get a full 01+ dash harness to find out.

thats pretty much it, the rest im not too worried about :)

-Eric

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
good luck with that..keep us posted

·
Registered
37,395 Posts
possible, in 95-00 the tach is smaller then the speedo, as oppose to 01-02.

the deal with the coil packs is that the L's never used them, and the S's always did, however I don't see how that makes a difference.

I have not seen any wiring harness's, but again I don't quite know what to look for. I may be able to find some junk millenia's and see whats attached?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.