Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody,
while im on restration my 929 Mazda - my Brother started a parallel Project.

He owns a Mazda 323 BG (Hatchback) - Buildyear i think its arround ~ 93.
Original Engine was: B6 1.6 SOHC - 88HP
Swaped In Engine is the 2.2 Turbo Engine from Ford Probe 1 GT (Mazda Engine).
Has somebody done this swap? Or does somebody have the Pinout of the 2x White Plugs next to the ECU

Have to "fusion" the 2 white chassisconnectors from the ford probe gt1 wiring harness into the mazda 323 bg chassis harness (i asume that in those 2 plugs, are for eg. revsignal, ignition signal and so on ?

Best Regards
Sascha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not seen anyone do that swap but that car is going to be very quick when it is done.
Hello CJ :)
hopefully it will :).

There are few guys on youtube, that has done this swap - and he was "the mental initiator" for my brother to try it too - thats why I AM searching now for electrical diagrams of both cars haha.
I told him, a better prep for engine swap would be great, instead of mounting it , so it just has to be in the engine bay "and the swap is done" LOL.

those are the mazda 323 BF´s with this engine installed:

On this Saturday i will give it a try to find those wires and connect them to the "body plugs".

Will post photos of it - the engine, and gearbox mount has also to be done correctly. Yesterday i got an idea - one of my "old hobbys" was 3d printing and i have an 3d Handscanner (it was a prototype from a company) - will try to scan the "engine bay" sides - so in hope i can create with autocad a straight fit mounting bracket for both sides.

Progress will be shown by photos here :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, i had yesterday a talk with my brother - those from the videos are all "BF´s". And as you already said @C J , it seems that his could be one of the first 323 BG´s with this swap -.-.
Not amused about that. Yesterday i got from a 323 BF Swapper, the "Workshop" Manual for the Ford Probe GT Engine Harness. After few hours of work (started at 2 PM Vienna GMT+1, worked till 4AM) - we didnt managed to get sparks on the sparkplugs.

But here is a Visual Guide of the "Possible Fitment" of this Engine in the 323 BG

The Air Intake Manifold may be "too close" to the hood when closed - will see that later

Here you can see the "Holes and Position" of the Original Engine Mounts From the B6 Engine, and where the Ford Probe GT 2.2 will "sitt".
The Engine Mount has to be reconstructioned for the "original Fitment" for the "old Holes" xD

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here is part 2 - Passenger Side Mount Bracket (old fit position, and where the 2.2 GT Engine will sit.

Gearbox Side - Upside (currently just welded for "temporary holding"

The 2 Holes "at the bottom of the picture on the sideframe with the "grey spray"" - this are the "old positions", and where it is now with the GT 2.2 Gearbox

Important - Clearence Check - its not "that bad"

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So current Steps:
- Engine is "temporarly inside"

Upcoming -> Gettin the ECU Working in Order
1. Get Spark on Sparkplugs
2. Check AirFlowM Connections
3. Fuel Pump

Then it should start (its already cranking)

Building "if possible" - correct engine Mounts (Tig Welded, or CNC Machined)

Made 2 Scans of the current position of the mounts, and the old ones - so i can build up a 3D Model of the Engine Mounts.

Have to clean em up, so there are only just needed vectors for construction.

Its a year ago since i worked with my 3d scanner, and a 3d printer - have to "learn the basics" again xD

Here is the Passenger Side - Engine Mount (current pos. , and the "old holes")

Here is the driverside mount (gearbox side) with current pos. and old holes.

·
Administrator
76 Posts
Wow the underside of that car is SO clean! Looks like a great car to swap into.

Small car, big engine, that car is going to be a screamer!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jep the 323 bg rust condition is pretty good (better than my 929 hehe). Thats why my brother want to do the swap. Currently im the only one screaming haha. Ordered a original workshop manual today ~ 1500 sites included with electrical diagrams 🙈

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today was the second try, to connect the ecu and firing up the engine. Invested ~ 2 days before in, gettin a clue about the electric plans and connections to the parts. And todays work was - connect and check time - .Without Wiring diagrams from the engine transplant (Ford Probe GT 2.2) its nearly impossible to accomplish this part. Spent 90€ on Total for all Workshopmanuals and Wiring Diagrams for the Ford Probe GT (via Ebay Seller).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts