Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing some help from the Mazda enthusiast world and need some help.

I made a mistake when trying to replace pads and rotors on my CX-5 and messed up when bleeding the brake lines. In error, I pushed the caliper piston out of the housing. When I attempted to put the caliper back together it was more than a job due to the EPB (Electronic Parking Brake) system. My issue is that the parking brake doesn't work correctly after putting the brake caliper back on.

Can this caliper be rebuilt? or am I screwed and have to buy the whole caliper? The caliper part in question that the Mazda dealership advised me is KAY0-26-71XA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am trying to picture how the caliper would have been useless if the piston comes out? If this a separate assembly from the main brake calipers I am unfamiliar with it. Unless additional parts fell out when the piston came off, I would see no reason to replace it .
I know this sounds very simplified, but find out the EXACT sequence of operation in the hydraulics/mechanicals/electronics to see what isn't happening when you engage the parking brake.Is the right thing happening on some wheels and not others? Most parking brakes simply release pressure on the piston which in turn releases pressure on the brake pads. Since the CX-5 has an electronic parking brake engage system, it's probably more complicated than that and somehow involved solenoids.
The computer might have thrown out a fault code that needs a reset, but I suspect also something mechanical. If your main brakes are not affected, this would not indicate directly a brake issue to me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts