Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I saw this car back at the Sydney Auto Show a couple years ago when it was called the Evolve, never thought they were planning on making it though...as with many concept cars. Then I had to be on Mazda's site as I'm looking to get a new car in the next 6 months or so, and saw that it's going into production.

I'm not too familiar with rotary engines. Does anyone have a guess as to what the fuel economy will be on the RX-8? I looked at the RX-7 on CarPoint and it's listed as 17/24. But that's also slightly more HP and a much older engine. Any +/-'s to rotary engines? I hear that they're fine as long as you change the oil regularly.

Also, any idea on options? I see in the high res pic of the cockpit (on this forum) that the stero has a mini-disc player. MD!?! How about an MP3 player like some of the manufacturers are doing now.

What are the chances that this will actually make production in May?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Personally I think the car will be out around June, maybe July.

As per fuel economy, Mazda has already announced that the Renesis engine in this car, which is the successor to the RX-7's rotary, gives 30% more fuel economy. So, 30% more would be 22.1/31.2. Being realistic though, the EPA numbers should be around 21/29, hopefully.

The pluses to rotaries are the same as piston engines... if you take care of them they last a long, long time. However, unlike piston engines, you CAN'T mistreat them... you need to do oil changes at the specified time and no later. When you get the car, do a oil change at 250, 500, and 1500, then 3000 miles, just to get rid of the metals that will float when you first get the car.

The great thing about rotaries is that well.. ya can't feel the engine. If you floor a piston engine in park, you will FEEL the the engine compartment rumble, because the pistons are flying up and down rapidly. Rotors in a rotary engine merely spin faster and faster, but because of spinning, there's little to no vibration. Don't worry about the exhaust note, Mazda has promised something that will be likeable to many people.

What we will get is a definate 6 CD changer, but who knows about the minidisc player, and I doubt we'll get MP3 capabilities. You get thin sport seats with a 5 point design that are engineered to hold your butt in place while cornering, a nice short throw shifter designed by Aisin (they make the Miata shifter), which is one of the best in the business.

And you get a 50:50 weight distribution and a damn cool looking car with 4 seats! It's got more rear seat room than the current 626. It's my next car for sure.

If you have any Qs, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Actually, the MP3 capability might happen. Remember that the Protege (via the MP3 and Mazdaspeed models) has offered an MP3-ready Kenwood stereo since 2001. Add in the fact that more and more aftermarket head units are including MP3 functions, and it's quite possible that a high-end car like the RX-8 could have such a system.

I doubt we'll get an MD player here in the States, though. MD has never really taken off here like it has in Europe.

And to Shayaan - that's great advice on the early oil change regimen. Rotaries are very susceptible to bearing wear problems later on in their life that can be easily prevented at the start.

Duncan :D - I wanna join the Rotary Club

·
Registered
517 Posts
edmunds review states that the EPA mileage will be about 18-19 in the city and 22-23 in the highway

19/23 then for the manual rotary

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3@Nov 15 2002, 05:20 PM
edmunds review states that the EPA mileage will be about 18-19 in the city and 22-23 in the highway

19/23 then for the manual rotary
The old RX-7 was rated at 17/22, and Mazda states a 20% increase in city driving at the least, so hopefully better numbers than that will come about.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Originally posted by Shayaan+Nov 15 2002, 05:42 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shayaan @ Nov 15 2002, 05:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Eternal TL2k3@Nov 15 2002, 05:20 PM

19/23  then for the manual rotary
The old RX-7 was rated at 17/22, and Mazda states a 20% increase in city driving at the least, so hopefully better numbers than that will come about.[/b][/quote]
well with edmunds gettin a hand on the car and already stating the estimated EPA mileage, dont know how its gonna get to 21/29 as youre stating ... thats estimating close to a 50% boost in the highway driving from the old rx7

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Eternal TL2k3,

I understand where you are coming from. I don't know where Shayaan get his numbers from sometimes. :) The last rx-7 had epa fuel economy of 17/25. Here is one source (http://beyondtheredline.fd3s.net/1993.html). Mazda previously mentioned that the renesis will use 40% less fuel at idle than the previous rotary but I'm not sure where the earlier 30% figure came from? I posted the below on the Car&Driver forum but it appears to fit in well here:

Many articles that have come out have been inaccurate. The previous twin-turbo rx-7 had fuel economy of 17/25 and RX-7s since at least 1989 have had at least 17/25 so the estimated fuel economy WILL NOT be 18/24.

Many articles have had incorrect information. Autocar had an article (http://www.mazdarotaryclub.com/forums/forum-photos/autocar_uk_nov-2002/autocar_04.JPG) that stated a COMBINED mileage of 28-30 mpg. I think that that is just as unrealistic as the 18/24 figure from the other article.

The same article that stated the 18/24 figure also said the rx-8 will have 20% better city fuel economy than the rx-7 twin-turbo.

17 + 3.4 = 20.4 mpg city but I'm not sure how much I would trust this figure either.

Another article said that "According to Mazda, the RX-8 is between 10-15% more economical in the real world than the its twin-turbo predecessor"

Taken at face value, the numbers come out to:
18.7 to 19.55 mpg city/27.5 to 28.75 mpg highway

Whatever the numbers come out to be, I will go on record stating that the highway figure for the renesis will not be less than the highway figures of the rotaries from 13 years ago.

Brian

·
Registered
517 Posts
nice to see that for once someone is really agreeing with me... =)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts