Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so all the shocks were stuffed in the 929, so i embarked on a coilover conversion.

Forked out the $$$ for some Tein HA coilovers to suit an rx7 and spent a good 4 hours putting them in.

Some tips i can suggest.
- The fronts will have to be wound ALL the way up.
- the rears will have to be wound up ~5cm
- you have to use the stock 929 top plates
- have to use the top section of the front top hat only, the old upper spring perch you can ditch

all in all a fairly easy conversion and well worth it.. the car corners like its on rails now! :lol:

will get some pics of ride height soon.

heres a pic of the teins

·
Registered
387 Posts
cool, lots of pics plz

·
Registered
849 Posts
does the shokes bottom out when the front of thecar lifts from a large bump etc??

you cant miss the sound believe me ive had it before..

as the difference between FC and HC shocks tis the travel length which is why Babalouie went to the effort of getting the G4 shocks done. they are based on the FC shock but use longer tube and rod to allow for travel..

the reason you have to wind the springs on the front right up is cause the HC is 200kg heavier than the FC rx7 so a higher spring rate is needed.

a properly adjusted coil over spring has the locking ring half way down the threaded tube..

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
to be honest Sim, no they dont. My old shocks used to but they were stuffed.

The trave isnt the issue, it is really the length of the tube that is the issue here. My shocks are wound pretty much all the way up, there is still plenty of travel although it would be good to have the tubes a bit longer to make use of the travel. The extra 200kg really isnt an issue for the coilovers i have, the suspension is so stiff that really doesnt matter, the car wne down literally 1/2 a cm when i put the jack down.

anyway heres a couple of pics of the ride height. And no i dont really have any scraping issues (except for the tyre at full lock)

Rear

Front

·
Registered
753 Posts
Looks good. How did you deal with the front chamber? did you have custom tops made like Babalouie?

That last pic is with the front all the way up? That's low!!! I'm definatly going to consider KDM coilovers.

What are your plans for the car in the background that's all taken apart? What car is it anyway?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am dealing with the front camber soon, hopefully with a camber kit im getting from the States. No custom tops made up yet, just using the stock ones for now.
Yes the front is all the way up.

The car in the background is a 1979 RX7. got plans to put a 13b monster port in it. it currently has a 4.4 LSD, series 8 brake conversion, series 3 rear brake conversion etc..

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so here is the front coilover installed.

·
Registered
937 Posts
smooth, got a pic of the top of the strut?

S2 in the back ground?

are your guards lipped? I'm sure they are just don't remember if ti was you who was saying it

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah Anton, ill get you a pic of the top of the strut, but its just the stock tops at the momnet. The car in the background is a SA22C Series 1 RX7.
The guards are lipped GhEtTo trolly pole styles.

·
Registered
937 Posts
damn, trolly poll? :D

you got me in tears :)

always loved SAs (not as much as CDs 121/rx5/cosmo though), rear one peace glass hatch its just hot. remember reading about one (yellow in QLD) that is in 300 club and 11l around town.

what are your plans on that one? 12A-T, 13B port, 20B (i don't think that fits) or renesis with Turbs?

·
Registered
623 Posts
that how my car look' swith my spring any way but it bottom's out and hit's my dang fender wall(I need to have my fender wall's shaved)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just a lil pic of my new 9kg HSE springs!!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
are these taller springs or do they just compensate for the extra weight ?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
basically harder to compensate for the heavier weight of the 929.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
put the springs in today. theres a noticeable difference between 8 and 9 kg. i would say for a 929 the 9kg is perfect.

·
Registered
258 Posts
hey nick. i've been readin thru a whole heap of old posts on puttin the FC coilovers in the 929 since im gettin a bit closer to doin this conversion myself. i just wanted to ask you a few questions.
Babalouie said in his thread that he had a few issues when installing his coilovers. theres no point in retypin it all so ill just quote him.

Front: My Teins had a gusset between the lower mounting "ears" on the legs (the gusset isn't on the stock shocks so it's possible that other brands don't have them) and I had to file a 2mm notch in it to clear a section of the upright. Also the top coilover spring hat fouled on the stock HC top hat so I had to use a spacer to sit the spring a little lower. The threaded part of the shock rod is plenty long enough to do this. Also the tab for the brake line is at the wrong angle, so you will have to bend it slightly so that the brake line isn't over-stretched at full lock. The ABS mounting brackets on the FC are a little different too but it's close so you can use zip ties to secure the line.

Rear: Saw off the integral bumpstop on the HC top hat. The FC top hat is 6mm thicker, so you will then have to put a wide spacer at the top of the shock rod to compensate.[/b]
i was pretty much just wondering if you had any of these issues when installing your coilovers? im basically trying to get all my bases covered before i attempt doing this for myself. im also trying to weigh up if its worth gettin second hand coilovers or get some brand newies from ISC coilovers and then get some custom made pillow tops.

cheers man.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
hey nick. i've been readin thru a whole heap of old posts on puttin the FC coilovers in the 929 since im gettin a bit closer to doin this conversion myself. i just wanted to ask you a few questions.
Babalouie said in his thread that he had a few issues when installing his coilovers. theres no point in retypin it all so ill just quote him.
i was pretty much just wondering if you had any of these issues when installing your coilovers? im basically trying to get all my bases covered before i attempt doing this for myself. im also trying to weigh up if its worth gettin second hand coilovers or get some brand newies from ISC coilovers and then get some custom made pillow tops.

cheers man.[/b]
To be honest man, i didnt really have any issues with the Tein's. The rears went straight in no worries. I didnt cut or shut anything. the fronts were a bit harder but still no real problems. The only thing i can suggest is using heavier rate springs. Although my brothers car has the original 8kg springs in it. The brake line thing i also did, but its easy as.

·
Registered
258 Posts
awesome man. thats good news! yeh i think i will go for 9kg springs front and maybe 10kg in the rear for when i have passengers. i reckon i should probably get the pillow ball tops made up too to get rid of the uuber gay positive camber up front.
thanks for that nick.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no worries at all man. glad to help.

When you get your pillow ball tops made can you let me know? im keeeeeeeeen as on a pair.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts