Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a while ago, i tried changing the valve cover gaskets on the white car. i had just done them on the black car, and while it took a while, it was ok. i acquired all the parts, but when i got to the 4 allen head bolts holding on the intake plenum, i could not get them to budge. i even tried a hand impact, and a bf hammer, but no go. well, now i have a misfire on #6 . changed the coil and the plug, but it is still there. so, i am changing out the fuel injectors. since i was going in that area, i decided to go after the allen bolts again. this time, i bought a 6mm allen impact, a set of dremel carbide bits, and a left hand drill bit, 8mm. the inside of the first allen i went after was all messed up, and the second came out with the threads, so i will have to helicoil it. these were already fubar'd. so i get to the other 2, i put the allen impact in, and hit it with my impact. i have 2 impacts, cordless. the first is a craftsman 300 ft/lbs, and i have used it on every bolt on the millenia, and it has easily gotten them off. this time, it just rattled, that sucker didnt budge. wtf? they are only on there with 14-18 ft/lbs. ok, so now i get my big gun, ingersoll rand cordless, 780 ft/lbs. no problemo. suckers came right off. using the lh drill bit, i drill out the last allen, hit the head with a cold chisel, and off it comes. what a relief. i was also hoping the threads werent frozen, like the one that came out with the threads, but i easily removed the rest of the bolt with just my fingers. if you look at all the nuts and bolts on the millenia, they all have a "shoulder", kinda looks like a washer/nut/bolt combo. dunno the correct name, but this spreads out the load, but it also makes them really hard to remove the first time. 780 ft/lbs to break them loose is unheard of.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sometimes it just feels great to make progress when working on older vehicles, it is the little things but in your case brute strength. Sounds like a win to me. Small question for you Ken, are the shift keys broken on your keyboard?
TomK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts