Mazda World Forum banner

Fixing my EGR problem...

167K views 48 replies 33 participants last post by  Hagbard Celine 
(new-b) with P0400 on '02

Long-time reader, new member. Thanks to all out there sharing their expertise with those of us who have none.

Short version of long story...bought a '02 millenia about 5 years ago. immaculate records in great shape (little did I know...). Engine light has intermittently plagued me ever since (various durations and codes - sometimes going away on its own).

Most recent - P1521, P0400. swapped the two VRIS solenoids and watched the code change to 1522, so replaced the bad solenoid hoping both codes would go away. Only 1521 did. Based on all the help in this thread and other references, bravely removed and cleaned EGR valve and replaced gasket, cleaned throttle body (was dirty) and fussed with vacuum hoses, replacing a few links where felt like it would help. After reset, P0400 still came back

Based on the milleniatech info posted somewhere, p0400 could be:
Map sensor, map solenoid
EGR valve/gasket, EGR vent solenoid, EGR vacuum solenoid
ECU

Auuuugghhhh!!!
I have limited confidence and limited tools but would sure like to lick this. Is there a likely sequence of failure to the components above or at least a sequence of things a novice could try to isolate the defective part/function?

I have found the Map sensor and solenoid (pretty easy to get to), the EGR vent and vacuum solenoids (less easy to get to). I took the map solenoid off today and applied voltage (9V battery) and got a click, suggesting it works.

My longer term dilemma is if I fix it do I keep it, or sell it before it happens again...

Thanks for enduring the long post. Any insights welcome.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.