Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm totally rewriting this post because I just realized my truck only has RABS.

Question #1 Can a malfunctioning RABS valve cause the front brakes to not fully release?

Symptoms:

#1 The front brakes drag badly quite often but not always. Sometimes I can stop on my driveway, like the one seen in the photo, and the truck stays in place without applying the brakes at all.
#2 The right rear tire always locks up under anything more then light braking.

Info:

I've replaced the front brake hoses (the problem was much worse before I replaced the hoses and had the system flushed) and kept up with all the brake maintenance.

The retaining pins (the two peices of metal glued to either side of a rubber piece that you hammer in to hold the front caliper on /rolleyes) have been replaced and were coated with Chevron severe duty high temp grease. The metal was cleaned with a wire wheel.

When the brakes drag bad enough to make the truck pull to one side, a very quick and hard stomp on the brake pedal will get them to release.

This thing is driving me nuts. Mechanically, the brakes are all in good shape at the wheels, everything is assembled and lubed correctly. The only thing I haven't pulled out, cleaned, and reinstalled or replaced if needed is that RABS valve.

1994 B2300 Base Model.

Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
1992 Mazda, B2200 ext cab
12 Posts
I vote for doing it.
Over the years as all my vehicles 'special functions' failed (smog crap mostly) I disconnected them and drive along most happily.
I dont plan to sell anything I own and when I am done with them. They might be part out able. or donated to a museum.
As long as you have done your home work and know how the non-ABS system is supposed to operate. have fun.
Bobmo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I vote for doing it.
Over the years as all my vehicles 'special functions' failed (smog crap mostly) I disconnected them and drive along most happily.
I dont plan to sell anything I own and when I am done with them. They might be part out able. or donated to a museum.
As long as you have done your home work and know how the non-ABS system is supposed to operate. have fun.
Bobmo
Oh I love tech. We also have a new Accord with all kinds of "special functions" and I love all that stuff.

If I could find a rebuild kit I'd go that route but I can't and I just don't want to pay $500 for a small part on a 28 year old vehicle that in all honestly, never worked very well to begin with. Putting a single sensor on the ring gear instead of one on each rear wheel pretty much defeats the purpose as locking one rear wheel always makes the vehicle go sideways.

I've been around much longer than ABS so no "homework" needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts