Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyway to disable the gas cap sensor which triggers the check engine light on the dash? Is it connected with the gas gauge in anyway.?When the light comes on I have to go to gas cap and retighten the gas cap and the light goes out. I even bought a new cap from the dealer. The dealer here refuses to sell me a service manual and Chilton sucks. Any ideals?

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's not the only thing that will trigger the check engine light. The O2 sensor also triggers the light. Are you sure it is the gas cap that is causing the light to come on?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm fairly sure, reseating the cap is what usually turns it off. It didn't work yesterday or Monday so I'm going to check out that O2 sensor

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a problem with my check engine light coming on. I would disconnect the battery (to reset the computer) and it would be gone for a little while but would return. I took it to the dealer since it was under warranty (2000 Millennium Edition) and they replaced a O2 sensor. I got my car back from the dealer and was driving and it came on again. I took it back again and they said it was another O2 sensor that was bad (there may be 3 sensors?). I haven't had the check engine light come on since.

Last edited by robokam at Sep 14 2002, 08:05 AM

·
Registered
72 Posts
My check engine light will sometimes come on but it has always turned itself off after a while (sometimes weeks, and sometimes days). I wonder if its just bad gas. If the car continues to run good, why worry?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I called the dealer today and they claimed there a total of 4 O2 sensors at $237 on a 97 Millenia and all 4 are different. Their OBD II reports no codes I guess it is time to go under car and take look. Is there a way to test the sensor before replacing them. Thanks for the assistance guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts