Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put on the front coilovers I got from Dima. They went in fine only about a 2-3hr job (I streched it out to five because I bullshit and take too many beer breaks)
When I took it off the stands, just kept going lower and lower, till my fkn jack got stuck under the car.
Im going to put the struts back on after I finish this post, need to drive tommorow. looks like I'm going to need some helper springs. Looks good though, to bad I cant keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
lol i had no idea they went that low on the highest setting. Its ridiculously low, but i gotta admit it looks nice, the rear sit a bit too stock tho ;)

How did you lock the spring perch?
Did you drive the car at all with them?

Looks like helper springs is the way to go, or maybe oder a longer spring. Maybe Its possible to fabricate a rubber or delrin spacer that would sit on top of the aluminum CO mount and put in longer bolts.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Glad to see those JIC's get put to use. Aw man that height is perfect ! Ya need all of them on there to get the full perspective, looking forward to pics/progress.

Is it rubbing/sraping at that height ? Now ya just need some low offest 18/19's and thats VIP.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe second time is easy or just not having the friends over drinking my beer and talking more than working... Took about an hour to put the old struts back in.

How did you lock the spring perch?
Did you drive the car at all with them?

Looks like helper springs is the way to go, or maybe oder a longer spring. Maybe Its possible to fabricate a rubber or delrin spacer that would sit on top of the aluminum CO mount and put in longer bolts.[/b]
JIC actually wants $70 for a tool that is basically a pipe wrench. I cut one end off pipe wench and used a vice grip for the bigger nut.

yea I drove it, verrrry carefully.
Its not a height issue:

The spring was compressed with the weight of the car. It went in perfectly, even the speed sensor cable and brake line fitted in place. The only thing I can think is the previous owner did not include an additional spring or perhaps swapped springs, wanting to keep the higher tension spring. Easy fix, just not today.

Glad to see those JIC's get put to use. Aw man that height is perfect ! Ya need all of them on there to get the full perspective, looking forward to pics/progress.

Is it rubbing/sraping at that height ? Now ya just need some low offest 18/19's and thats VIP.[/b]
No rubbing, close though, of course I didn’t drive it hard, and the bump stop was almost touching the base of the dampener. I think helper spring (waiting on a reply from JIC) and Ill be good. Yea it looks good but I need another inch.
Noticed a tear in my right inner cv boot so Im waiting for the new boots to be delivered before I play with the rear.

Front view, the wheels are all up in the fender

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Im findin it weird seein a USDM HD slammed on here, some nice camber up front too.

·
Registered
258 Posts
looks great in the front man. are these coilovers from a different car or are they made specifically for the HD 929? i didnt think you could get coilovers for them.

james.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
How do you think all those VIP Sentias are so low, besides air, alot run coils. Shit theres even 2 or 3 coilover kits availible for the HC...

I bet theres only a couple sets of HD coils in the states.

·
Registered
231 Posts
How do you think all those VIP Sentias are so low, besides air, alot run coils. Shit theres even 2 or 3 coilover kits availible for the HC...

I bet theres only a couple sets of HD coils in the states.[/b]
thats prolly ture but them again you can get custom or universal. i talked to a place the could do completely custom springs(stock,lowered, lifted) what ever you wanted. they gave me a quote for about US$249 a pair.

·
Registered
115 Posts
thats prolly ture but them again you can get custom or universal. i talked to a place the could do completely custom springs(stock,lowered, lifted) what ever you wanted. they gave me a quote for about US$249 a pair.[/b]

WHERE was this?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You can get custom springs made anywhere. They are not hard to get but I was talking about coilovers, since thats what we were talking about here...

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Ron i think the height is almost perfect it would be nice to have two extra inches just so you can unwind the locks down a bit. I think the best way to gain that height is to just use one spring thats longer. Maybe its possible to use coilover springs from other cars that are longer. The other thing to keep in mind is the camber, if you drive with is out of balance the tire will wear out quickly.

As to what was said about "custom springs" well thats a whole different cut o tea. There is sooo mutch more involved in a dampening system then just a spring and a shock. The jics have really professionally built pivot ball mounts, exteremly stiff shocks, and anodized alluminum spring perches. Each CO weighs in at 15lb and thats the best part about it. I dont know how mutch a stock shock weights but i'm sure its around 20-25 lb. Ooh and on top of all that the springs and shocks are powdercoated i believe.

-Dima

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
JIC = Quality.

An extra 40+ lbs gone that you didnt need, sweet.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got super spring smart since yesterday. That shit blows you away at first, had to take my own advice and slam my head against the wall a few times (slaps didn’t work). Then it became clear and obvious.

Helper spring don’t do shit but help w/max travel. They will deaden out after veh weight. And a longer spring = less rate = lower drop

The front spring is 8k, 200mm so ether I get a 10k or extend that extra 30mm (didn’t max them out, was trying to get a good drop w/o severe stiffness). I’m not going to spend money for 10k when I can preload the 8’s and get the same results. Refitted the frnt stoppers an hour ago to give addition 10mm of travel

I’m going to max them (all four) this weekend and see what happens. I think the stock rear may have made the front lower. After I replace that cv boot, hope that goes well (don’t need to order another part)

·
Registered
231 Posts
You can get custom springs made anywhere. They are not hard to get but I was talking about coilovers, since thats what we were talking about here...[/b]
cant you change the springs on coil overs? i thought the hd had coil over muli-tlink independant suspension?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Finished both front and rear.
Now need just a little more offset on the rims. I could try selling these rims and getting new ones or going with 10-15mm spacers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts