Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
195 Posts
Yes.....as Bobmo has said, do yourself a favor and replace the factory carb with a RedLine Weber 32/36 electric choke carb.
If you have emission testing in your area, then you may need to buy a rebuilt factory carb.
The trouble with the factory carb is that it is a "feedback" carb and it requires input from the many other sensors and devices throughout the engine bay......if a previous Owner has messed with and or broken any of those sensors/devices......then your task of replacing the carb with a factory carb, could be daunting! It only takes one sensor or device to throw the factory carb into "limp mode" or just cause the carb to not work properly.
I have tried many times to repair or rebuild the factory carbs......with about a 50% success rate......and I am a very competent "home" mechanic. I have even given up on a few (years ago now) and ordered a rebuilt factory carb from Carbs Unlimited, Inc......one ran good, the other not so good......
Now-a-days, I always buy a Weber when I have to rebuild a B-series engine that was still using a factory carb. The Weber (RedLine Weber's are the best) is cheaper, and totally adjustable/tunable......unlike the factory carb.

· Registered
195 Posts
You use the factory throttle linkage.

Now, the bracket to hold the linkage is.......in the KIT. So, if you didn't get a Weber & kit......you'll need to make one to use temporarily so you can get up and running, then install a Weber one later if you like.

Bracket looks like this......

Beak Bird Toy Wood Waterfowl

I will typically "open" the smaller hole in the bracket where the cable goes, with a multi-stepped drill bit to around 5/8" so I can install the rubber isolation washer in that opened up hole, and have the nut & washer on each side of the rubber washer......just like the factory had it setup on a stock carb throttle bracket.

Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Auto part Automotive super charger part

Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Gas Auto part

Motor vehicle Vehicle Gas Automotive fuel system Auto part

In these pics, I was setting it all up and did not have the rubber washer, and larger hole drilled yet......I will see if I can find a pic where it was done later.

· Registered
195 Posts
I hear ya......I always have an extra vehicle (or 3....tagged & insured...LOL) hanging around. I hate having to be held to a timeline, when I consider my automotive work as my hobby. Currently I have 3 Mazda trucks, a 2002 2500HD Silverado Crew Cab truck, a 2009 Hyundai Sonata, and a 1969 GTO convertible.......waiting for me to jump in them and drive them! This does not count my wife's and daughter's daily transportation! It also does not count the vehicles I have that are not tagged and insured........the Sonata is basically sold to a friend, but I need to get paid first! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts