Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor has an 01 Millenia with the Miller Cycle Engine. Yesterday he noticed a substantial oil leak on the front of the engine.

I found the leak, but I do not know what the part is as I am unfamiliar with these engines. The oil is leaking from here (yellow Arrow).....

The black cover looks like the timing belt cover, but there is a small wing on it that goes to the block, that is where the oil is leaking from.

What is this and does the timing belt cover have to come off to fix it?

Thank You
Ralph

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
what you need is a cam plug. google millenia cam plug, and you will see a bunch of pics. it is in the head, right behind that arrow. not quite as big as a quarter, but larger than a nickel. you just remove some of the cover bolts, and the cover can be pried open enough to easily access the plug. the 2.3 has only 1 plug. however, by now, all the timing components are probably covered in oil. if the tensioner is weak, it will jump time. lucky for your neighbor, the motor is non interference. also, over time, the plastic covers will warp from the oil and the heat. there are 3 covers, and they are pricey. the cam plug is generally done with the timing belt. most of the time, the plug can be removed, cleaned, then reinstalled with some good sealant. clean the hole really good, too(that's what SHE said). if your neighbor is going to keep the car, i would change the timing belt and all associated components, and probably at least the plastic cover on that side. if not, change or reseal the plug, clean the front with lotsa brake cleaner, and sell the car. to someone you dont know. that lives far away

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks keninn for the response. I looked at again this morning and realized it was just a plug, as you mentioned.
I took of the engine lifting bracket, took off the 2 small bolts on the timing belt cover, cleaned it, put some silicone
around the plug and reinserted it.

Just as a precaution, Instead of putting the lifting bracket back on, I took a piece of 1/8"X1" steel stock drilled a hole
in it and attached it from the place the lifting bracket goes over to the part of the timing cover that covers the plug.
This will prevent the plug from coming out in the future.

My friend is selling the car, so as long as the car doesn't leak anymore, he's happy.

Ian

1 - 3 of 3 Posts