Mazda World Forum banner

Help please

3K views 17 replies 2 participants last post by  Axel Breaker Earl 
#1 ·
Ute 1998 b2600i g6 engine. Replacing head gasket . Just about to bolt in distributor drive gear but noticed yellow mark on camshaft pulley 90 degree to left not right as manual says. So what do I do to turn to right position. Where does pin need to be. And then once head on before I run where should all marks be. Manual isn't very good and I'm a beginner

#2 ·
Hello Danbravo,

Here are a few pictures of a G6 that I rebuilt a while back......

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive wheel system Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive wheel system

I do have a few questions though......did you replace the timing chain with a new one? Or reuse the original timing chain? The reason I ask is that there are some manufacturers that send/sell you a "Nissan" timing chain since the chain is exactly the same except that the gold/yellow chain links that are supposed to align to a certain timing gear tooth, are off when used in a Mazda G6 engine! Happened to me, and after talking with a company representative, I was made aware of the mix up. I used that "Nissan" chain in my Mazda G6 engine and it is still going strong today.......I just had to make sure everything else was properly aligned, with the exception of the one gold/yellow link.

Attachments

#4 ·
i didn't replace timing chain and bought ute cheap as was a blown head gasket. The ute had head off when bought and cam was in position it's in now when bought so the drive gear was removed before I got. Cos I'm just beginning I did the new gasket with new head bolts all correctly torqued to find out I hadn't put in drive gear. I've learnt now. So have to take head off again. Do I need yet another new gasket and bolts or as it's not been run yet are they ok? Can't believe what an idiot I am. So cam pulley was wired up with yellow mark 90 degree to left and I'm presuming the previous guy removed the drive gear with it like that but manual says got to be 90 degree to right?

#6 ·
I must come across as a complete idiot which I am as I've never done any of this before. My manual is telling me to put the distributor drive gear in centre of cam pulley but that's impossible. I'm thinking this manual isntbfir the g6 engine. Havevu got a reliable manual for a b2600i 1998. Rear wheel drive ute. With g6. Photos of yours great wish I knew as much as u

#7 ·
The distributor drive gear turns the distributor once it is inserted into the cylinder head.
It really doesn't matter where the gold/yellow timing chain link is positioned.......the main thing is that you want the crankshaft position to be at top dead center first.......then you need to have the timing chain tensioner locked in place so that it is not pushing on (and therefore removing slack in the chain) the timing chain......then position the camshaft at top dead center (the alignment pin will be at the 12:00 o'clock position)......then slip the camshaft gear onto the camshaft (with the alignment mark at the 3:00 o'clock position) and align and install the distributor drive gear on top of the camshaft gear, and install the bolt and tighten it down.
Once that is done, you can release the timing chain tensioner so that it pushes against the timing chain, and removes any slack in the chain.

I would then rotate the engine (with the spark plugs removed so there is no compression while turning the engine) at least 3 to 4 full rotations to make sure there is NO INTERFERENCE between the valves opening, and hitting the pistons! Then rotate the crank to top dead center again and make sure the cam gear alignment mark is still at the 3:00 o'clock position.

If all checks out good, you have the cam/crank timing set as it should be.

#8 ·
So I can see where distributor drive gear goes now and why I couldn't before is cam pulley and chain have dropped down. So I fig I need to take chain cover off and get chain back on bottom sprocket. So here's where I'm muddled if dist gear is out what order does everything go back together. Is it take chain off find tdc of compression stroke install dist gear and cam pulley with cam pin at 12 etc then put chain on.

#10 ·
You have to remove the oil pan in order to remove the front cover!
If you can fish the timing chain up and above the timing cover, then you should be able to reconnect everything just fine. The timing chain should stay in place down on the crankshaft sprocket, as there is a roll pin installed below the sprocket to keep it from coming off. Here are some more pictures of the front timing chain & sprockets, and the balance shafts chain & sprockets to see what you have behind that front timing cover.

Wood Gas Engineering Motor vehicle Machine

Automotive tire Bicycle part Crankset Rim Automotive wheel system

White Automotive tire Bicycle part Gear Rim

Tire Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Hood

Attachments

#13 ·
Feel bad keeping on asking u but this iswhere I'm at at. The cam pulley is lower than should be andchain tight so I can't lift It up. This is how the car came to me. I only noticed as I was trying to put dist gear in. Tried so hard to fig out. If I could loosen the chain and then raise cam pulley up??? Like back the chain adjuster off but don't think I can. Got the manual now thanks from internet.

#14 · (Edited)
No problem on asking questions, that's why we're here! :)
Your chain is bound up around the crankshaft area, more than likely. You need to make sure all of your spark plugs are removed, so your not fighting any compression, and it will be easy to tell which direction you need to spin the crank (by hand only!) in order to loosen the chain up. As you try and hand spin the crank, pull upward slightly on the cam gear & chain to pull the chain slack back out of the lower areas of the timing cover.
You also need to make sure that your timing chain tensioner is fully closed, or seated, in it's bore in order to create as much slack in the timing chain, so the camshaft gear can be positioned onto the camshaft. Give that a try and see if you have some success, and let me know!
Yeah, the factory service manual is a must have tool in order to work on these trucks.....it will help you a bunch!

#16 ·
You shouldn't have to replace the tensioner......if it is still intact, you should be able to rotate the release lever, push the pin back into the bore and then lock it in/closed with the release lever......read up in the manual on that tensioner.......hopefully, the pin, and spring behind the pin, didn't fully exit the tensioner body and fall down into the timing cover!

#17 ·
Here is a picture showing the top of the tensioner.....you can see the teeth on the pin that engage with a pawl that is rotated via that small lever.......there's a spring behind the pin that constantly pushes the pin out of it's bore......the lever is there to allow you to temporarily "lock" the pin in the closed position in order to install the timing chain & cam sprocket.

Automotive tire Gear Motor vehicle Rim Jet engine

White Light Automotive design Rim Auto part

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.