Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove a Mazda CX5 and loved it. Quiet, smooth, goes faster faster and luxury comforts. I drove it after I put $500 down on a Crosstrek. I know they are two different categories, but the CX30 is too small. Here are the issues that will help me decide. I live in MN and gravitated towards the Crosstrek due to driving in the snow and getting out of a driveway with 8 inches of freshly fallen snow. How does the Mazda fare in snow. Also, the visibility in the Crosstrek seems bigger wider than the Mazda. I'm "older", think Medicare so good visibility is important. For those of you who own and drive CX5, please tell me what you love. How is it in winter, is it a good resale value? Are you happy.....It would be my first Mazda...I appreciate any guidance.
What would you get for your mother for safety? I am aware this is a Mazda site but I look forward to hearing what you love and don't love about the car. I'm ready to take the leap into a 2022!

·
Administrator
305 Posts
I test drove a Mazda CX5 and loved it. Quiet, smooth, goes faster faster and luxury comforts. I drove it after I put $500 down on a Crosstrek. I know they are two different categories, but the CX30 is too small. Here are the issues that will help me decide. I live in MN and gravitated towards the Crosstrek due to driving in the snow and getting out of a driveway with 8 inches of freshly fallen snow. How does the Mazda fare in snow. Also, the visibility in the Crosstrek seems bigger wider than the Mazda. I'm "older", think Medicare so good visibility is important. For those of you who own and drive CX5, please tell me what you love. How is it in winter, is it a good resale value? Are you happy.....It would be my first Mazda...I appreciate any guidance.
What would you get for your mother for safety? I am aware this is a Mazda site but I look forward to hearing what you love and don't love about the car. I'm ready to take the leap into a 2022!
You have more cold than I do but I get more snow (Central NY). I was a Subaru guy for my last 6 cars, I have owned just about every model of Subaru. People think that Subaru AWD is some magical thing, it isn't. My wife got her Outback stuck in our driveway. Are Subaru's better in the snow than other cars? I seriously feel tires are more important than the AWD system. My CX5 has done very good in the snow this season, I have a new set of all season tires on it and it has been great.

Why did I go from Subarus to Mazda? There was a time when Subaru was a small company that made dependable cars. Subaru has lost its way in my opinion. My last Subaru (2017 Impreza Sport) had all kinds of little fitment problems with plastic bits actually falling off. I feel that Mazdas are built better than Subarus plain and simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your helpful response. I've had Subarus in the past and have been happy. I'm almost feeling "Subaru guilt" as I lean toward the CX5 Mazda. There seems to be recent problems with Subaru. My real estate friend could never get the electronic system to work with her phone and that was crucial to her business and the dealer offered no help. How do the two cars compare to holding their value? The Crosstrek is sweet, but feels a lot smaller and AWD levels the playing field.

·
Administrator
305 Posts
Thank you for your helpful response. I've had Subarus in the past and have been happy. I'm almost feeling "Subaru guilt" as I lean toward the CX5 Mazda. There seems to be recent problems with Subaru. My real estate friend could never get the electronic system to work with her phone and that was crucial to her business and the dealer offered no help. How do the two cars compare to holding their value? The Crosstrek is sweet, but feels a lot smaller and AWD levels the playing field.
Sadly I would say that Mazdas do not hold their value quite as high as Subaru does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a 22 Cx5 in January in the Mountains! I was nervous but was pleasantly surprised by how well it handled! Even with the "regular" tires it came with, it handled several inches of unplowed snow with NO problem. The in laws were at ease the 2 hrs we were in almost white out conditions and I LOVE the Projector LEDs. They are PERFECT in providing the confidence needed when an elk can pop out any minute! LOL Good luck. Cheers.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have had 6 Mazdas over the last 40 years. I had both a GLC (I think that was what it was called in 1982) and later a 626GT turbo from 1985 to 1990 when I lived in New England. Both FWD with manual trans. I skiied almost every weekend in winter. I NEVER had an issue in snow, even deep stuff, I hit black ice a few times and did a 360 on the highway in NH and once in VT and was lucky both times. Even in deep stuff, it was never an issue. I dont have that issue now in Hawaii but I have to believe the FWD cars handle even better and I know the AWD do cuz I rented one last year in DE and it was great. I own an MX5 now which is RWD and my guess is it would not work but it doesnt apply here. BTW, my wife drove a Honda Prelude which was also decent in snow. Lots of friends had Subarus which were known to be snow cars but I helped pull at least one out of a ditch so I have never owned a Subaru.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts