Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't start my truck conventionally. I have to push start it. I have replaced the starter, ignition coil, ignition control module, sparkplugs and sparkplug wires. It is getting fuel to the carb. It turns over fine but won't start. What could be causing it?

p.s. 1990 B2200 is the model

·
Registered
82 Posts
As I seem to understand your issue, you can push-start the truck but cannot get the engine to spin using the starter.

What's the voltage across the battery WHILE you're trying to use the starter? Are your cables good and tight/clean? Have you tried a jump start from another vehicle, or tested your battery UNDER LOAD????

If above all OK - Get the new starter checked, and also TEST the electrical part of your ignition switch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've done all that except the ignition switch. I kinda don't want to because a new one is around $100.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If above all OK - Get the new starter checked, and also TEST the electrical part of your ignition switch.
I've done all that except the ignition switch. I kinda don't want to because a new one is around $100.
You don't simply buy/install a new electrical part of your ignition switch - YOU TEST FIRST !!!!

YOU NEED TO FIND IF 12 VOLTS POSITIVE IS GETTING TO THE SMALL TERMINAL ON THE STARTER WHEN THE KEY IS HELD IN THE "START" POSITION !!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can possibly take your electrical portion of your ignition switch apart, clean it, lube it, and re-install it.......instead of buying a new one.

I have done this on multiple occasions and the switch would work as designed afterward. I think what may be happening with your ignition switch is that the coil is loosing it's 12v. power when the ignition switch is in the START position......it's worth a try, and doesn't cost anything to do it......just be careful when separating the pieces as there are several small springs inside of it.

They can get pretty nasty inside!

After cleaning, and before putting some grease on the copper contact points.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've also done similar to repair the AC push-in switch on the dashboard. At one point I had 6 used ones from the parts yard, and 5 were bad, and I got them all working (Arizona).

Wonder how many folks were told they need new compressors when it was really a bad switch.....and junked their B-trucks....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Too many I'm sure! Exactly why I take things apart and "learn" how they actually work......it teaches you a lot, most of the time.......occasionally, it teaches you to not take that particular part, apart! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts