Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lookin' to get a old compact car. Most likely a Honda hatch. Also gotta keep in mind other compacts. Toyotas, Nissans, Mitsu, Acuras, and even domestics if I think they're worth hooking up. Don't wanna spend over $2k buying a car so I'm limited to certain choices. Best bet is a Honda hatch since engine swaps are so interchangable. We'll see. How bout you guys? You guys into project cars? B)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Look for a Honda civic hatch or CRX. You could make either one into a great autocross car. Also....motor swaps are not too uncommon. Keep in mind that civics have one of the largest aftermarkets in the world...just barely behind the Fox body Mustangs and any Chevy 350 based vehicle.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I have an '89 Civic sedan (no, not the car in the avatar) and have looked into this a bit. From what I hear, there are several good engine swaps available for 1988-1991 Civics like mine.

Easiest is the ZC16 (as used in the early Integra and Civic Si models), which bolts right into the stock mounts - however, there's very little performance aftermarket for that engine.

On the other hand, HASport sells a retrofit kit enabling you to fit the mighty B-series engines (newer Integras and the 1999-00 Civic Si) as well. This is a little more complicated and requires minor body modifications under the hood, but the possibilities are endless with all the available B-series parts out there.

HASport's website

By the way, it's nice to see that the group here is open to other brands as well - and as Hondas go, I tend to gravitate towards the older models.

hondaboy :D - good luck!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Honda is not a bad choice... especially if you are going to do it right w/ an engine swap. Read "Civic keeps up w/ Millenia S" under driving experiences to see why I fully respect someone who knows what they are doing w/ a Honda. Another car you might consider though, I'm not sure if you can get it at 2 grand but if you look around enough maybe... is the Mazda MX-3 RS... you can drop a BPT motor in it that will put it at over 200 HP... and it is definitely not a run of the mill car... I used to own one and I loved it.... check out Corksport.com click under J-Spec engines and look at 210 HP from GTR, also check out MX-3.com for more info.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys think a 1988 VW Scirocco or a 1990 Nissan 240SX(blown head gasket) would be good project cars? The VW is $600 with 120k mi and the 240SX has 175k mi and only $200.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Well let me know on that project car... we can follow your progress on the site, if you're willing to take pictures constantly :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
One of my buddies did up a 85 1/2 Scirocco. He had a lot of troubles finding parts for it due to the fact that it was made in 86, but had a lot of 85 parts on it. Kinda seemed like VW threw it together with extra parts from the 85 build to save money?? You should be fine with an 88. He made it pretty fast and I like the look of those cars when they're done up. If you want to see any pictures of what he did to it let me know and I can send some you're way. He did it from scratch too so if you need any advice I can ask him for ya.
Hope this helps,

Mike

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
The 240SX sounds like a fabulous deal for $200. There are two paths where mods are concerned: you can stick with the KA24 (the stock 2.4-liter) and add a turbo kit, or swap for an SR20DET (a 2.0-liter turbo motor used in the Silvia, the SX's Japanese counterpart).

The trade-off is that with the KA you get good torque and less overall horsepower (despite minimal aftermarket support), while the SR gives you more horsepower and less overall torque (along with huge aftermarket support). Depends on what you want to do. The nice thing is that the Nissan S13 platform is very easy to work on, being rear-drive and all.

Of course, you can do fun things with the Scirocco, too - for instance, swap in the 16V GTI motor or the supercharged G60 (Corrado) engine. But don't expect a 1980s VW to last as long as a Honda or Nissan, and don't be surprised if parts cost an arm and a leg. (In fairness, SX parts aren't cheap either, but they do tend to last longer.)

I'd go with the $200 Nissan. A car for one week's paycheck (mine, anyway) is pretty reasonable, especially if it's just going to be a toy anyway.

Duncan :D - keep us posted

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks dudes! I'm gonna give the owners a call and check out their rides on sale. B)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Old, OLD!

Moving to General Auto, though. :)

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Originally posted by ///BHRpowered@Apr 5 2003, 12:26 PM
id get an rx-7 as a toy car
my g/f has a 10th anniversary RX-7... one (one of 1500) for sale...

anything with honda in the name will be good...

and I would stay away from the 240sx's... unless you plan to just go straight into it and tear out the ka engine and go straight to a SR or RB swap...

i want a nice RX-7 shell to find to swap a LS1 into it... motor swaps are cool haha

·
Registered
0 Posts
iv decided to add 2 F1 race cars to my toy list. a ferrari GSTR423 or whatever it is, and that wicked sick brand new mclaran-mercedes they unveiled for the great britan grand prix

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Originally posted by ///BHRpowered@Jul 11 2004, 05:30 PM
I think you misplaced it
Huh - so I did. Force of habit, I guess. :blush:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Originally posted by the_saint@Jul 14 2004, 06:35 PM
I've got the pefect project car for you
It's certainly compact - and it's based on an import, too. :lol: