Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I ordered some new 6x9's for the rear deck (does anyone else's stock bose's sound like crap?) and I can't seem to get to them. I managed to take out the storage compartment and unscrew the 4 black screws underneath it. But there seems to be these 4 little snap things that you can get to from the trunk that I think are holding it in... but I don't know how to unsnap it. Can anyone help me here? I don't want to spend 50 bux to get them installed like I did on my last car. Thanks.

·
0 Posts
what kind of speakers are you getting? my bose system doesnt sound all that bad, but i know what you mean...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
You gotta take out the back seat and lift off the rear deck entirely... At least that's what I remember :)

If you have pictures, I'd appreciate it. Trying to put some guides together, and getting those pictures would be great.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well sh*t! so do you have to unscrew it from the trunk cuz I noticed there were screws back there for what I believe were the seats. Or do you just have to pop them out somehow. I'm beginning to wonder if this is more trouble than it's worth... I work 7 days a week and barely find time to even wash my car :(

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm glad i'm not the only one, my 95' rear speakers gotta be the worst out there, first of all the bass cannot go beyond 3, and the volume above 20 or i will get the worst popping noise from these speakers you would ever want to hear, i literally cannot have the bass on when i crank the volume all the way up, it's on like -2, and everyone knows that you need a little bass knockin. I'm assuming it's because the speakers have been in use for 7 years. I know the screws you're referring too, i can't do anything with them either, but i hate to have to pay someone else to do this!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
well sh*t! so do you have to unscrew it from the trunk cuz I noticed there were screws back there for what I believe were the seats. Or do you just have to pop them out somehow. I'm beginning to wonder if this is more trouble than it's worth... I work 7 days a week and barely find time to even wash my car :(
You gotta take out the screws for the back seat, and take the entire back of it off. Then there are screws to undo the trunk lid, to get at your speakers.

It's a pain in the ass, I just paid people and they put my system in :roll:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I bit the bullet and paid $25 to have them installed. The guy told me that I did most the work and all he had to do was pop the top plastic part off (grrr.) Anyways that popping noise you refer to is because the speakers tear apart. I was looking at my old ones, they look like pieces of cardboard crap. The small oval part on the inside of the speaker that would be a tweeter in an aftermarket speaker actually detaches through the years and the popping noise is (I believe) from that piece hitting the woofer. You will see if you get them replaced what I mean. So was it worth it? Well I got a killer deal on the replacements (Kenwood KFC-6908 4-way $59 shipped, check out Scala1 on ebay, always gets me good deals) and they do sound better. A LOT clearer, you can actually hear things besides bass out of them. They almost are a bit too harsh w/ all the tweeters, but you can turn treble down. They don't really have much more bass than the stock speakers, but I'm sure that will change w/ a new deck and some bass boost. They can definitely handle more power though, an external amp wouldn't be out of the question. Later

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh, Dude. I'm so sorry I didn't read your question earlier. I could have saved you some money. Once you've removed the compartment, you'll see four screws holding it to the bulkhead. Once you've removed those, you go into the trunk and push through about six retention clamps that hold the speaker covers in place. You could probably get them out from the inside of the car but I wouldn't risk breaking the plastic frame. It's really easy. I've become an expert since I've had to go and rewire my speakers to my sub and amp. By the way, it's better to just by new speakers if you've recently purchase an older Milly because by now they would've rotted out. I'm looking at doing that myself but I'm trying to find this website that listed them for about 40.00 bucs a piece. Sounded like a real bargain to me since I'm sure bose speakers can run you alot more. If anyone knows of this website, please give me a hollar cause I'm a lookin. Peace peeps.

95_S_Class :ninja: :clap:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts