Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't like the stock air filter setup so I did a simple mod-

I removed the air box and filter next, then I had to build up the end of the airflow sensor (where the filter goes) - I used some 1/2 inch high density foam, cut into a strip. After putting that on, I slid the filter onto the sensor- good fit. Tightened down the hose clamp, and good to go.

I did have to make a metal "Z" bracket (just a strip cut from an old liscense plate) so that the entire assembly w/n sag or bounce.

Here are a couple of shots-

The only thing I'n not sure of is the one vacunm line that would normally connect to the top of the stock air box. I may drill a small hole in the bottom of the rear filter ring and connect it there. I believe it must work with the airflow sensor or computer-

Anyone have any Ideas?

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
:notworthy: Another one for the guide. Awesome work, bro.

·
Registered
325 Posts
did u have any problems with the sensors or anything?

im getting a CAI made up next week, so it sucks cold air in and isnt a fire hazard.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Duncan- not too hard of a mod, only 3 trips to Home Depot looking at possible adapters/couplers without any luck.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The sensor needs to be there for sure- just wish IT was not so restrictive. Maybe there is another Mazda sensor from another model that might work.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Originally posted by Duncan@Apr 13 2005, 09:20 PM
:notworthy: Another one for the guide. Awesome work, bro.
[snapback]264442[/snapback]​
:huh: this is exactly like the one myself and another member posted a few months ago.

great job though

Also I would suggest changing you fan from belt driven to electronic for better response.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did you notice any increase in power or response?

Btw what did you use to clean your intake manifold? Looks so nice (w00t)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Originally posted by 94 929@Apr 14 2005, 01:54 AM
Did you notice any increase in power or response?

Btw what did you use to clean your intake manifold? Looks so nice  (w00t)
[snapback]264503[/snapback]​
saint polished his, for memory it took like 10 hours?

wait untill ur valve gasket's get screwed then when u take it off get it polished.
Looks very nice.

i have twin thermo fans on mine, from a ford falcon. The auto electrician was sayin that over 60kph the airflow does more cooling than any fans, but will free up the revs. Work pretty well and also helps stop the A/C compressor from blowing up apparently, because thats why we put it on mine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
maybe we could all work together and figure out a way around the mass air flow sensor restriction, im sure we would see some impressive gains in power.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It did seem to rev a little faster, but no giant gains in power yet. Have not checked mileage or highspeed drivability yet.

If we can find a less restrictive airflow sensor I'm sure we'd see a big improvement.

I found an aftermarket one from Granatelli that would work, but they are $200.00 +.

Maybe someone could find s substitute while pokin' around a salvage yard.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I had the same problem with a stock vacuum line so I decided to drill a hole into the intake pipe so it has the same fuction as it did when it ran into the stock air box, heres a pic, you can see the vacuum line -

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You read my mind ! ^^^^^^^

I drilled a hole in the back of the filter housing and epoxied a vacumn coupling in- I figured since the line origionally was on the "clean" side of the air filter, I'd mount it there.

Here's a photo-

I did notice an improvement in acceleration as I got on the highway, along with a more "throaty" sound from the intake.

We have to find a solution to this incredibly restrictive airflow sensor- I think the engine will make considerably more power once we solve this problem.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
i wish there was a lifetime perfomance module :( heres what the SHOs have to offer

"The importance of this function lies in the software that allows us to change numerous operational parameters, like fuel and ignition curves, injectors and engine sizing, idle and secondaries opening rpm points and many, many more. All of performance parts are useless if we can not tune in correct fuel and timing curves. The module plugs into factory computer and reroutes memory access to the LPM. We offer LPM with lifetime software upgrades to compliment your SHOs upgrades."

i can't describe it better in my words, but thats a sweet mod and like they say you can only get sooo mutch power out of bolt-ons untill you have to tune the car to your specific modification.

cool tutorial, its nice to know the fact that there is someone else in michigan that likes to modify/rebuild their 929.I'm probably going to make something like this in may when i get my muffler welded on. OOOOH on may 12 or 13th i should have my whole exhaust finished and properly sealed :D.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dmeetro-

good news on the exhaust- PM me when it's done- I'd like to see your car some time-

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
94 929-

I cleaned the intake manifold and the whole engine with some wheel cleaner I had lying around - and a pressure washer.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
1) don't play with the cone on that VAF... they are sensitive and get thrown off easliy by being played with, dropped, etc...

2) make sure that your clamps are not too tight on the VAF with your filter... after a while, the pressure from the clamps mixed with heat from the engine bay, plus the plastic VAF shell tend to warp the VAF, meaninng that you get air leaks and your performance will suffer greatly...

3) if i might make a suggestion...

I would reattach the VAF to the top half of the intake box and leave the bottom half off (or cut it to where it only supports the top) and put your filter in that to reduce the amount of warm air that you are intaking and increase the amount of cold air... plus you don't have to worry about warping the VAF over time...

·
Registered
325 Posts
the place who is making mine wants to take the whole pipe off from the throttle body and put in some polsihed alloy instead, so how hard is it to mount the sensors in the aftermarket piping?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
unable to make the air sensor and airbox lid (top) work with aftermarket air filter- I wrapped the end ring of the sensor with high density, adhesive backed foam in order to properly spread the clamp load.

I would entertain the idea of a coupling of sorts, maybe cutting up a stock lid.

I still think that where I am at now is only temorary- I really want to find a higher flow sensor, off a larger engine. I think that the computer will adjust accordingly to the higher flow. If it doesn't work, then it will be just a few dollars down the drain.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts