Mazda World Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
look on the probe boards... i do not think that they have figured a really good way around that VAF yet.. its a tricky sensor... not like a MAF...

as far as mounting the sensors into a piece of polished alloy... i'd see about getting a plastic / rubberized intake pipe instead... metal just soaks up so much heat which reduces your HP anyway...

that is the primary reason i switched from a heat-soaking SRI (like what you are describing) to my comptech icebox with a high-flowing filter ( see: http://www.comptechusa.com/store/330130rsx.html for the Icebox)... and it is 100X better than that SRI that I had... I will never go back to anything like that!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I think that the 929 sensor can be substituted, just going to take some effort to find the right one. If I can figure out where the leads go, I'm sure I can match them up with another MAF sensor, like from a GM or Ford V8.

Just like overclocking my computer.....

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Originally posted by hondo@Apr 14 2005, 10:32 PM
I think that the 929 sensor can be substituted, just going to take some effort to find the right one. If I can figure out where the leads go, I'm sure I can match them up with another MAF sensor, like from a GM or Ford V8.

Just like overclocking my computer.....
[snapback]264654[/snapback]​
you dont have a MAF... you have a VAF...

trust me... the probe / mx6 guys have been at this a lot longer than you have... you're not going to get the stock computer to play nice with any other non-stock VAF... you're gonna have to start thinking stand-alone to do what you want to do...

that VAF is the root of a lot of problems in power-generation for them... it would have been gone if they could get rid of it... but the VAF woln't adapt to a MAF without a new computer...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
You're right Shadow, I did some research and found this explanation concerning VAF ( Vane - Air - Flow) sensors -

VAF

I guess I'm stuck with what I have. I think I'm going to get another sensor from a junkyard to play with, get the dremel out and see what I can see.....

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Originally posted by hondo@Apr 14 2005, 08:58 PM
You're right Shadow, I did some research and found this explanation concerning VAF ( Vane  - Air - Flow)  sensors -

VAF

I guess I'm stuck with what I have. I think I'm going to get another sensor from a junkyard to play with, get the dremel out and see what I can see.....
[snapback]264666[/snapback]​
If I'm correct, VAF = VRIS, right? (VRIS is just Mazda's fancy name. :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Originally posted by Duncan@Apr 15 2005, 02:49 AM
If I'm correct, VAF = VRIS, right? (VRIS is just Mazda's fancy name. :rolleyes: )
[snapback]264686[/snapback]​

no, VAF is the air flow meter in these cars

VRIS is the system of butterfly plates in the intake tract that are controlled by the ECU to change the intake harmonics to create a better powerband

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Originally posted by ShadowSE@Apr 15 2005, 12:52 AM
no, VAF is the air flow meter in these cars
VRIS is the system of butterfly plates in the intake tract that are controlled by the ECU to change the intake harmonics to create a better powerband
[snapback]264688[/snapback]​
Knew I was confusing those two - thank you, sir. :blush:

·
Registered
325 Posts
can you take the sensor out and put it in a new peice of HPC coated steel pipe?

i want mine to look like this, but it will be sealed off with an intake underneath the box

·
Registered
325 Posts
ok, can i take out the section with the sensor in it and put it in a new piece of pipe?

how much would it cost to remove it and use a stand alone system? will it piss off the ECU? 929's seen to have alot of tricky little pain in the ass things dont they.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
big929-

I guess you could replace the tube btween the VAF and the intake flange, though it probably won't help much.

I am looking into a replacement EFI computer that allows you to run without the VAF. Check that thread out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
my air tube cracked and the mounting peace broke off the end of the air tube

i called every junkyard around here were can i find that online

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I'm not sure what it's called, maybe the air intake tube between the airflow sensor and the throttle body.

No way to fix it?

And not one salvage yard with one car, 92-95? I'd call ALL the locals first.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i did the exact same thing. cool didnt know anyone else knew how. and i got passed the vac line and every other line to and it works perect know i just need to adjust exhaust a little now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
can anyone post all the pics again, they were deleted and i was looking to do this but i wonder how it was on the first pics! :'(

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
unfortunatly lee(hondo) has moved away(used to live by me) and sold his 929. I guess i could try calling him if you really need the pix but its pretty straight forward. Basically if you can't figure out how to do without pics you should really leave the job up to a mechanic/fabricator.

·
Registered
10 Posts
well it is not like i cant do it but you know when you see pictures its a lot better to have an idea how to be careful on your steps like i did when i saw the pisctures how to remove the skin on the doors i know it was easy but to be sure i made a research and that helped me a lot just to DO IT

21 - 40 of 43 Posts