i have a 2.0 99 mazda 626 im loooking for an inatke
several people have told me that a inatke of a older 626 93-96 or
a protage should fit,
Does any one now if thats the truth

here is the link to the intake i want to install

http://www.streetbeatonline.com/tucsfm9396b.html

http://www.streetbeatonline.com/tucsf1011.html

Please tell me if u know, asap, thanx
OK this is what you do... When my g/f got here 626 and I started looking up info to help her start moding her own car... I found out that all the motors are the same... If you want look at web pages under Mx6 since its more of a performance car and they make things for it...but if my theory is right they should all fit on the newer engines because there all the same size....have the same engine code... the only reason they have more HP is because they beefed the motor... that's means 2 things one it can fit since its the same motor...or 2 it wont fit because they made the motor more powerful and changed things like the intake manifold.

Sorry that's all long but personally this is what i would do ...the car is new.. so just wait. Intake doesn't do anything anyway, u wont see a difference unless u start putting some number of mods on your car. but if you want it and have to have it and like the sound make it your self... just take out your stock intake box...and put a cone filter to your stock tubing, and you have a intake... atleast untill they make one for your car.

ChRi§

·
Registered
74 Posts
In your post you had two links, an intake for the 626 & one for the Protege. Why put in an intake made for a Protege, it will require modification. The price for that 626 intake is pretty low, they usually sell for over $150. I know PRM, Hotshot and Weapon R make intakes for the 626, but like I said over $150. The 626 shares the same engine with the MX6 and the Ford Probe, the engines are the same for the 2.0 and 2.5, the MX6 and Ford Probe do not have more H.P. Hope this helps. :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by zuke626@Sep 18 2002, 12:36 PM
In your post you had two links, an intake for the 626 & one for the Protege. Why put in an intake made for a Protege, it will require modification. The price for that 626 intake is pretty low, they usually sell for over $150. I know PRM, Hotshot and Weapon R make intakes for the 626, but like I said over $150. The 626 shares the same engine with the MX6 and the Ford Probe, the engines are the same for the 2.0 and 2.5, the MX6 and Ford Probe do not have more H.P. Hope this helps. :D
Thats what i was telling him, that his motor should be the same as the Mx6

But since he has a 99.. is it all the same, did the change the intake manafold for that year? becuase they do have it for 97 and below, i havent seen it for 98 and up...

but i'll check it out :ph34r:

-Chri§

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hey man i checked it out , and they sell the intake for 98 and below....not 99 and up yet

pluse to everyone

DONT BUY WEAPON R INTAKES!

avoid any SPONGE-type air filter/cones. They don't filtrate the air as well as the K & N filters, and some serious damage might occur if dust or crap gets into the engine.

If you want one becuz of the nice tubing then buy that and get you a APC1 or K&N filter from a local car store ( pep boys, discount auto ...ect )

-ChRi§

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are the same engine. The Mazda and Ford engines have a slight difference, however, an intake made for the Ford would also fit the Mazda. To be a 100% sure, could call Mazda for info or stop by a dealer and pop the hood of a 96.
I heard Negative things about the Weopon R intake also, but people say its bad because its not a true cold air intake. They say it sucks up hot air from the engine. That link for the intake would probably suck up alot of hot air also, unless you put a heat shield on the filter.
If you dont want to spend alot I would get that intake and see if it fits, if not send it back.
Heres a good site to pick up performance parts for the 626:
http://www.corksport.com/

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah i guess i gota i wait, but yeah im about to just go to pep boys take the stock filter box out, and put a k&n filter head.

Thanks for the help tho

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by zoom 626@Sep 18 2002, 08:02 PM
Yeah i guess i gota i wait, but yeah im about to just go to pep boys take the stock filter box out, and put a k&n filter head.

Thanks for the help tho
No problem man, yeah make your own and save the money... but man dont look at things in a bad way...

Your car is new... so save your money. Keep saving. You know eventuly they will make stuff for it...then the second it comes out u can always have it. I know its hard to wait for them to start making things for your car...but i feel its better to stay ahead of the game, then to gave a car they make EVERY thing for, and your like uuuugggghhhh... even after buying somthing its never enough

Well good luck

-Chri§

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to say I have heard mix things about the Weapon R intakes also, but those Ractive you have picked out are awsome. I had one of just the filters before, and now I switched to a Tenzo R and I can personally tell a difference. The Ractive sucked in twice as much air. Go with that. And if you wanted you can just replace the filter for now, because pretty much that is where you will get the main difference in sound and pick up. B)

·
Registered
2 Posts
sup, forum..

im looking at a new intake for my mazda 323 N/A 1.6L, same thing as protoge/tracer/etc..

ive already found an extra-cheap intake adapter, and ive already looked at the weaon-r open-cell foam filter, but im hearing bad things about it here. where do you get your information from? why is it bad? if theres no such thing as a straight airflow path thru the filter, how could it not filter better than a piece of paper with some oil on it? consider how thick the foam is compared to a paper element in a K&N cone.

but dont get me wrong, if the K&N or Ractive filter is better, then ill go with that. my non-turbo POS can use all the help it can get.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts