Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I've inherited a 1995 Millenia S with over 226,000 miles on it. The car was my mom's, and she bought it new in late 1994.

This car has lived a hard life and I'm fighting an uphill battle trying to keep it out of the yard. I've done quite a bit thanks to all the posts on here. Now I'm working on replacing the supercharger. I've been following along with the guides on here but I've found a problem that isn't covered anywhere and I can't seem to search with the correct keywords to find where it might have been discussed before.

I've attached a picture. This is looking down on the timing belt are just after the original supercharger has been pulled. I never expected to see a cutout in the timing cover and to be able to see the belt like this. It kind of looks like there might have been something forming a tight seal to the bottom of the supercharger, but it's deformed now.

My first question has to be, is this large opening normal? The cover definitely looks to me like it needs to be replaced. I don't really want to tackle that at the same time as I'm replacing the supercharger but I'm guessing the extra room I have right now would make the job easier.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
what is all that black goop? It is all over the timing belt and to me looks like wet RTV silicone or something. To close of a pic for me to tell what I am looking at.
TomK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Kutcht1 thanks for the fast reply.

I've taken a new picture farther out. I believe the black goop is a mix of dirt/dust and oil but I really don't know. I believe some of it got knocked on the belt when I pulled the supercharger off or when I was poking my finger around trying to figure out what it was.

Attachments

·
Registered
775 Posts
As I do not know the 2.3L engine well, I am sure Ken will be around soon to get you some help. It does look as if the timing cover has been cut. If it were me I would continue tearing down and removing stuff to get a better look at what I would need to take care of to get the car up to date with pulleys and belts/hoses and clean along the way and try and find the culprit of the mess. There are two cam plugs that do leak oil over time and they are one either sides of the heads about the size of a silver dollar. They can be reused after cleaning and putting RTV sealant on them as they just push in. Was the SC bad?
TomK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the car was doing the typical smoke and leaking oil into the intake. It would always smoke a little bit but it got to the point where on startup it would produce a huge cloud of white smoke. Occasionally it would make the fluttering sound associated with trying to compress oil shortly after startup.

I know this car's history since it's been in the family. It never had a timely oil change, never had synthetic, and has on at least one occasion had a vacuum leak for an extended period of time. The vacuum leak was the one that causes the car to stutter around 2500 rpm.

All that is to say I don't know for sure that the supercharger is bad, but it seems the signs point in that direction. I will feel really dumb if I do all this and it still smokes because the problem was really rings or something else.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just changed the charger on my car and that all looks normal (besides the black goo). The charger hase a black metal frame around the bottom of the pulley that completes the timing belt cover and so covers the void your describing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts