Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is just the replacement K&N filter. Good price though. I put a K&N replacement in mine and it seemed to add a little bit. I also took out the CAI tubing because it does nothing. That silencer in the end and the 2" opening are not exactly helping the car any. After taking out that first silencer, I noticed increased throttle response. And it only took me about 10 min to take all that crap out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
can you describe how you removed the silencers? go to the nopi webiste and search for the 2002 milly model, im sure its there

·
Registered
399 Posts
Actually I've found a company called FXTeknology which makes a filter for the 2.5/2.3 (called Ram FX). It's foam instead of cotton, which allows for more air to flow through. I've found the difference between the Ram FX and stock quite remarkable. The Ram FX gave a quicker response while adding more torque to the power level. And best of all, it's only $15.

To tell you the truth, the Millenia air filter is the same one as the Toyota Corolla, which is why they happen to have an application for the Millenia.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I just bought a fram filter, and that thing ran me ~18 bucks!! Also...is the ramFX reusable??? Any intake noise(throaty growl) or not?

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can find info about the Ram FX on e-bay. They usually have the filters there. It is reusable. There is a cleaning solution and a dirt retention polymer that is used with the filter. I bought mine from the guy who sells them on e-bay but I bought it from him directly since he was located locally, Pasadena, CA. I got the filter and the 2 solutions for about $25. He said it was used on the Neuspeed Accord. You won't notice any intake noise if you just change the filter. I plan on removing some of the piping and resonator later on (check the forums on how to do this).

He said that they sell it through retailers but I don't know who and I've never seen it anywhere else except e-bay. I actually first heard about it from this forum. I did notice an improvement in some of the flat spots when you acceralate but now that I've had it on for a while I don't really notice it anymore.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
If sound and or minor performance gains is your scope. Just fabricate a ram air intake for your Millenia. The K&N filters are simply garbage. In respect to adding horsepower. Motor Trend and et cetra has done several before and after performance testings in the past using the K&N filters and have stated that no added performance had been gained using the K&N filters.

Other owners in this forum can attest to this as well. Fabricating a ram air kit for the Millenia is relatively simple and cheap too!

From the onset of fabricating my ram air intake, I have noticed a difference in torque from a standstill. However, torque in excess of 70mph is a lot more measurable, especially in the 2.3 Millenia.

Engine sound is also a lot more aggessive with this fabrication too (2.3). I just thought, you'll may appreciate this bit of information. I just hate seeing people get mislead into purchasing the K&N filters for added horsepower. However, there is a good possibility that the K&N filters are more technologically refined than the OEM and other aftermarket air filters available for the Millenia though.

:zorro:

Regards,

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yea, i'm actually looking for the quiet. I love having a machine that can be idling and stand 5 feet away and not know if it is running or not. Same way with on road performance, the quiter the better as far as I am concerned :D .

Back in the day(1995) I was that guy who had the loud 5 speed car and everybody wondered why(because it was a beast pontiac of course :huh: )not! I got sick of that in a matter of months. A year or 2 later, everybody and their mom has loud intake, and loud exaust. Now its otta control :rofl:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by bryanj@Nov 27 2002, 04:44 PM
Yea, i'm actually looking for the quiet. I love having a machine that can be idling and stand 5 feet away and not know if it is running or not. Same way with on road performance, the quiter the better as far as I am concerned :D .

Back in the day(1995) I was that guy who had the loud 5 speed car and everybody wondered why(because it was a beast pontiac of course :huh: )not! I got sick of that in a matter of months. A year or 2 later, everybody and their mom has loud intake, and loud exaust. Now its otta control :rofl:
He, He.......... I hear yeah man! :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
Heh-heh, I hear ya too. I want a bit of noise when I gun it, but not during idle. Which is why I'll probably get a Remus exhaust in the near future. But it puzzles me on why people spend thousands of bucks on a sound system for the car, and also have a deafening exhaust system as well. It's as if the 2 were competing against one another to see which part can be the loudest.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey seldome seen, could you explain how or post pics of your ram air ducting?

Speaking of ram air.. the ram air setup on the intercoolers is kind of nice on these cars for highway speeds... but what sucks is when you come to a stop for over say 30 seconds and they get all heatsoaked and the car takes off like a turd. Oh well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts