Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2012 Mazda3 2.5L. Specifically (2.5L I4 EFI Engine) I got the P2243 OBD code (with the associated engine light). Indicating an issue with O2 sensor Bank1 Sensor 1 (upstream O2 sensor). I ordered the replacement part and decided to get to work. My issue is I can't readily find where the sensor is installed. I watched various YouTubes with the 2010 engines (upstream O2 sensor looks pretty easy to access). Looking in the same general area in my car - around the firewall backside of the engine and I don't see anything like an O2 sensor in my 2.5L. I would love to see a picture of where this thing is. Alternatively, a good description would be great. I am starting to guess that the sensor is in a really hard place to get to. Any help to clue me in is much appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Have you tried Google?
Yes, I have tried google and YouTube. I keep finding solutions on other engines and models. Often that is close enough but in my case I think the sensor is really in a different place than earlier models. I even bought and downloaded the "Craigs Service Manual". As best I can tell right now, the O2 sensor is on the ride side of the engine (looking from the front of the car) underneath the Air Intake / Air Filter assembly. The manual while giving me a clue is not very descriptive. I am hoping for some first-hand experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have tried google and YouTube. I keep finding solutions on other engines and models. Often that is close enough but in my case I think the sensor is really in a different place than earlier models. I even bought and downloaded the "Craigs Service Manual". As best I can tell right now, the O2 sensor is on the ride side of the engine (looking from the front of the car) underneath the Air Intake / Air Filter assembly. The manual while giving me a clue is not very descriptive. I am hoping for some first-hand experience.
After searching, I found it. To see the upstream O2 sensor you must look from the driver's side of the car (I am in the US - right side of the engine as seen from the front of the car). Stand on the side of the car, look over the battery toward the exhaust manifold near the firewall. It is about 10 inches down. To remove the sensor, I had to stand on the passenger side of the car, reach over with the wrench and O2 socket and feel my way. Some Liquid Wrench and I got it out. The cable connector is accessible underneath the air filter and that whole assembly must be removed to get to the connector. Hope this helps someone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts