Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated in another post I've been contemplating switching from my 2K Acura 3.2TL to a Millenia S.

How many miles do you have? What problems have you had? (S owners only)

Timing Chain/Belt - what is this expensive maintenenace item I've heard others bitch about?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
428 Posts
You crazy! A TL to a Mazda? What you been smoking? :lol:
No offend to my fellow members, but a Acura TL is by far more car then a Millenia. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Uhh.. more car than a milly? Don't think so bud. I took a nice 2 hr ride in the back seat of 1 (it was a 2 door, i think the CL) this past weekend and I can tell you, it has nothing on the Millenia except possibly honda reliability. It wasn't near as large. Or near as comfortable. AS far as looks, I don't think the millenia looks bad at all. I might give the edge to the Acura though. An Acura RL would be more sized like the Millenia.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think people like to knock on the Millenia because it is a Mazda... when in fact if you read the reviews it compares favorably/ better than cars that are way out of its price range. Sure.. you don't carry the name ACURA... but you are still getting a really good car that quite rare.. and the S is a thrill to drive. The earlier S's (like mine) had some reliability issues but the new ones I hear are greatly improved.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by MilleniaFalcon@Sep 22 2002, 01:24 AM
You crazy! A TL to a Mazda? What you been smoking? :lol:
No offend to my fellow members, but a Acura TL is by far more car then a Millenia. :)
The real substantial thing that a TL-S has on the 01-02 Millenia S is the 260hp engine, optional navigation, and HID lights. Build quality and handling quality on the TL is downright mediocore, and as far as its 260 goes - it's nothing to brag about! Yes, the engine has a lot of low-end torque, but that's normal for an engine this size and power. But besides that, like I said, its nothing to brag about.

I owned an Acura, '95 Legend to be exact. Therefore, I don't wet my pants whenever the word Acura pops up. Like the many folks who presently own Acuras. I personally think, that Acura has been skimping on quality of thier vehicle line-up recently. At the moment, Acura can't justify earning my business.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i thought my '99 millenia drives nicer than my friend's 2001 TL, the traction control is a lot better on the millenia as well :ph34r:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted by TommyBoiSxty9@Sep 21 2002, 08:59 PM
As I stated in another post I've been contemplating switching from my 2K Acura 3.2TL to a Millenia S.

How many miles do you have? What problems have you had? (S owners only)

Timing Chain/Belt - what is this expensive maintenenace item I've heard others bitch about?
Thanks!!
To Answer your question. Manufacturer suggests replacing timing belt at 60k service which also recommends changing sparkplugs, tranny service, and coolant service. I just got mine done 2 weeks ago and it cost me just over $1100.

2000 Millenia S Millenium Edition :(

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
I bought my first Millenia 3 years ago.....It was a 95 S. It had around 80K on it when I got it and about 155K when I sold it. (I do a lot of driving) When I got it the previous owner had all the service records and had done all the routine services to it. I had to replace the timing belt again at about 125K I also had all the fluids flushed and refilled, plugs and wires replaced etc......however I didn't go through the dealer and I saved about $200.00.....anyway besides that I never really had any problems with the car. The power tilt stoped working and I had to have the switch replaced but thats all I can think of. I liked the car so well that I sold it and bought a 98S a few months later. And so far have not had problems with it either. I would have liked to get a newer one but when I sold my first millenia I bought a 2002 Audi A4 (awsome car). So I couldn't afford to get a 00-01. Anyway hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Guys the TL type S just came out this past summer. So his TL had the .. I wanna say 220hp V6. It's a lighter car than the Millinia, so the acceleration MIGHT be a little better, I'm not sure. I'm just saying it's not a step down, it's a different car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a 95 Millenia S and although quirky, I have had no major problems and currently have 103,000 miles on it. Minor problems seem to come and go - I think mainly electrically based. I am very pleased with the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
lucky you or lucky me I dont know. i happen to have both cars. Now these are just my oppions so dont everyone get mad. The 3.2 has a nicer looking interior than the millenia although the millenia's interior seems less plasticy and maybe would last longer. Both cars look good but if your planning on dropping your car and throwing some rims on it then forget about the Acura because no matter what you do to it, it wont look as good at the Millenia hooked up. The insurance on both cars is almost exactly the same the acura is $8 more every six months. The brakes on the 3.2 are way stronger than the millenia's. The factory stereo in the Acura is better than the millenia (this doesnt matter to me since I've upgraded it anyways). The seats and seating position suck in the 3.2. They are to hard and dont provide any support and I for one cannot find a position that I can just lean back and chill. Basically you can't sink into the seat. you feel like your sitting in an office chair almost. The Millenia when stock handled way better than the acura and now that its lowered forget about it. Acura's stearing is way to loose(easy to turn) and at high speeds feels unstable. Both cars get about the same gas mileage. Although the 3.2 holds about a gal. more of gas so you could travel further before fill ups. And most importantly atleast to me is the acceleration. Off the line the acura pulls ahead in the beggining but as you pick up speed the millenia catches up and passes. If your going about 10mph then floor it the millenias supercharger is just to much for the acura its left in the dust and you just disappear from there. if your both on the highway and going about 60 both cars are about equal until you hit about 100mph, this is where the millenia supercharger starts to shine and the 3.2 starts to whine and get left behind. The faster I go in the millenia the faster it picks up speed. In the 3.2 the faster I go the slower I pick up speed. As far as top speed goes I've toped out in the acura at about 135-140 or so and it takes a long time to get to that topspeed. The Millenia Im not so sure about because It always indicates just over 140 and I can feel it still pulling ever so slightly but I always run out of room and have to slam on the brakes. Oh yeah and something I almost forgot the transmition in both cars sucks the 3.2 shifts like all hondas(rough and jerky) and the Millenia is annoying as hell it seems to shift way to early if your just crusing at low speeps say 30mph 2nd gears seems to come on way befor it should but this can be fixed by always keeping in the S gear to hold shifts longer, other than that it shifs very smooth sometimes you can barely feel it. The Acuras problem you can go to sleep for 20years and it will still be there, it always has and always will. I let the wife drive the Ak so this should answer your ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts