Mazda World Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
heres a couple of pics of the new mags i got. i also have a new bumper and rear tail lights. :thumbsup:

sorry about the quality, they were taken on a camera phone.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·

·
Registered
790 Posts
also the auto tailshaft is 1259mm and the manual is a little longer at 1341mm[/b]
:angry:

·
Registered
15 Posts
what manual transmission is needed for the auto-to-manual swap? Ive been wanting to swap, but im not sure what transmission would bolt up. I was thinking maybe a T5 from a mustang gt or something similiar. Ive read something mentioning the MTX but isnt it a front wheel drive trans? Ive done exstensive electrical repairs on this car(was a lemon) so im familiar with alot of the electronics. I enjoy the car, but my heart is in 5 speed cars. So this swap would be very exciting. What all do i need for this particular swap?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
your really going to need a proper conversion kit to do this job. You will have to find another luce or 929 that to can get all the annoying bits from like the pedal box and the hand brake. you may be able to use a T5 but you will need a custom bellhousing and tailshaft as well as a custom gearbox mount. it would be easier finding a bellhousing and getting an FC RX7 box on there rather than a T5 i would think..

·
Registered
130 Posts
ok please, really please, for the love of baby jesus what bellhousing can i use? it is the only damn thing holding me back. seriously i can't take it anymore.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
well as far as i know you are fairly limited in what sort of bellhousing you can use. you will probably have to find a Luce one or maybe get a custom version from somewhere like Dellows or something.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Although I find this thread very resourceful. I think that a new thread with all of the info in the first post should be made.

It seems that there are alot of contradicting posts in here and it makes it hard to know what will actually work and what will not.

Also, what if I were to use a fc3s manual gear box with a spacer on the bell? Would i be able to use the same clutch and it work out ok?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Although I find this thread very resourceful. I think that a new thread with all of the info in the first post should be made.

It seems that there are alot of contradicting posts in here and it makes it hard to know what will actually work and what will not.[/b]
Yea deferentially. I feel the same way. A new thread with the only the correct info should be made, for sure.

HINT, HINT, nitros13

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
ok ill try to do it this weekend. :p

·
Registered
180 Posts
What this all means is that you could source the MPV flywheel, bellhousing, clutch plates etc and solve the motor to gearbox area, then get an RX-7 box and shorten the shifter to solve the biggest problems under the car. The driveshaft can then be made up to suit. Possibly the MPV crossmember could also be used and maybe it could all be done without using any undercar parts actually from a 929????

Hope this is of benefit to other HC owners out there! ****.[/b]
Has anyone checked this info? I plan to go to the wreckers this weekend or next to grab all of these parts. I hope it works so it isnt money wasted.

I have an rx7 trans already(not sure if its s4 or s5, or tii vs n/a) Is there any tell tale signs that would let me know?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Ok heres some info:
the auto and manual tailshaft splines are the same.
the auto and manual tailshaft lengths are different You will need the tailshaft lengthened about 2 inches.
the engine crank where the flywheel bolts too is the same for the DOHC, SOHC and the Turbo 2.0 Not the 13BT
the input shaft on the manual gearbox is shorter than the rx7 one. you CANNOT use an RX7 box unless you get the luce INPUT shaft.
The bellhousing on the Luce box is VERY DIFFERENT to the RX7 box.
the manual gearbox is the same as a RX7 series 5 turbo with a different bellhousing and shorter input shaft.
929s are already wired for the clutch and manual brake pedal
the manual 929 and manual rx7 both have the same input splines albeit the rx7 with a longer input shaft
You need the manual gussets (bottom gearbox mounts) off of the donor motor. you CANNOT use the auto ones.
The manual shifter comes up in the same position as the auto shifter.
To convert the computer to manual all you have to do is earth Pin 3D on the computer and it tells it that there is no auto box there.
So again NO YOU CANT USE AN RX7 BOX unless you have a luce box to pull apart and use the bellhousing and input shaft.
You CAN use a RX7 clutch slave and master.
You CAN use an RX7 Clutch
You will have to source a manual pedal box from a Luce (have been told B3000 ute and rx7 ones look SIMILAR)

ill add things in as i remember.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I wonder if the rx8 6 speed is similar to the rx7? :hmmm:

·
Registered
180 Posts
^ the rx8 gear box = garbage..

·
Registered
790 Posts
well if you have to do custom parts to make the rx7 5 speed fit, wouldn't a custom 6 speed be more viable?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Remember you can get the bellhousing, input shaft, mounts, pedal box and tailshaft from the dealer. The other things (clutch slave and master for a manual 929) can be ordered at a parts store. The trans can be found anywhere, it's a good idea to get any trans upgrades done before you put the 5spd in.

You may be able to get a custom light weight tailshaft made for less the the price of the stock dealer one.

Remember there were USDM 5spd 929's.

·
Registered
180 Posts
^ I didnt even think about that. Although it will cost a fortune from the dealer.

Has anyone checked the MPV parts theory yet? I do have a Fc3s trans, but I cant seem to find any manual 88-89 MPVs to source a bellhousing flywheel and clutch from. If no1 else is going to attempt it, I may. Just for that fact that if it works, it will help the fellow 929'ers out in their search for manual transmissions.

-Mike

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, I called my local mazda STEALERship.

They want
349.98 for the front bellhousing for a 88-89 929
328.99 for the input shaft for a 88-89 929

And I cant even find a MPV bellhousing to try and test fit!

121 - 140 of 174 Posts