Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
The drivers door will not open from inside or outside, there is no resistance when pulling either lever like all other doors, I am looking for help to get the drivers door open to gain access to latch mechanism. I have partially removed interior panel (with seat still in place) & cut away plastic sheet on secondary panel so I can get my hand into the cavity. I can manually pull the rod that goes into the latch & feel the cable but nothing gets the door open!
any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all,
The drivers door will not open from inside or outside, there is no resistance when pulling either lever like all other doors, I am looking for help to get the drivers door open to gain access to latch mechanism. I have partially removed interior panel (with seat still in place) & cut away plastic sheet on secondary panel so I can get my hand into the cavity. I can manually pull the rod that goes into the latch & feel the cable but nothing gets the door open!
any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh No! I realize this is an older post but what has likely happened is the return mechanism spring has broken.
The lock assembly needs to be taken out to fix it but you cant access the T-30 Torx bit screws without opening the door.
You will need to pull the door panel off from inside with the door closed. The door lock mechanism inside the door cannot be accessed from the outside by removing the window channel. The panel will take some damage by the side mirror speaker. You will also brake a few plastic door rivets.
Once you have access to the inner door (be sure to tape the window in place closed) you will have to reach inside the door to bend the black plastic cover back to gain touch access only to the lever that the spring would normally hold in place. This will allow the door lock to be moved.

The picture below shows what the mechanism orientation looks like when you see it mounted inside the door. It is marked in red where you have to put your finger (or tool) to access the release mechanism.
2004 Mazda 6 Drivers Door Lock Mechanism 06 directions.jpg

The picture below shows the mechanism in the "home position" if it had a full functional spring attached.
2004 Mazda 6 Drivers Door Lock Mechanism 08 directions.jpg

The picture below shows the lock mechanism with the cover removed and the spring that fails highlighted.
2004 Mazda 6 Drivers Door Lock Mechanism 05 directions.jpg

The spring can be re-bent into a hook to be re-attached and restore function.

Hope this helps someone.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts