Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I'm new here and I have a question. I've had a look around but can't see anything that helps with my problem.

My car stereo has a space for a MD/Tape, including and empty space, a button to switch to it, and a 16 pin port on the back to plug it in.

The stereo looks like the one shown here:
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/s...2/1e972011.jpg

I've purchased a 16-pin to AUX cable and plugged it into the port.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=879712893

I was hoping that this would mean switching to the MD/Tape channel would just work but the button is unresponsive.

My question is; is there something I need to do to hook up the MD/Tape button, some way to activate it?

I don't know very much about cars, but I know a little bit about electronics. I can solder something in if need be.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
Seeing the renewed interest in this topic, I can share how I recently managed to connect a bluetooth module to my mazda entertainment unit. After a lot of searching, I found all my answers here, MazdaSpoof - A Tape Deck Emulator - nikosapi.org wiki. All the difficult details are already figured out and can be found in the above page. All we have to do is connect everything up.

To summarize the steps:
1. You need to have a micro-controller, like shown in the nikosapi page or an Arduino. I have minor modification of the above code to work on an Arduino board. The microcontroller would effectively talk to the main unit and emulate that the tape unit is present.
2. Solder wires to the tape/md connector below the unit (not the connector behind the unit).
3. Power the bluetooth unit using a mosfet driven by arduino. The mosfet switches on the power from battery (always on) to the bluetooth unit when Auxiliary power is present.
4. Connect the audio signal from step-2 to the bluetooth board.

20200802_115245.jpg
20200802_115335.jpg

20200802_194119.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Fabulous how you cracked it!
I am afraid however that the level of complexity is above my limited skill. Unfortunately, because it would have been lovely to be able to fix it since my daughter is learning how to drive, and I will giver her the little car once she has her license...

Thank you very much for replying. I was very surprised as I was convinced nobody would care no mpore anbout such an old item...
But there you go.

Kind regards, Kurt

·
Registered
5 Posts
But you do not seem overeagerly enthousiastic... 😟
Pity... But understandable. If you change your mind however, let me know...😏

Greets, Kurt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
My sincere apologies. The notifications from this thread went somewhere deep in my inbox and I was not looking for them. Accidently I bumped into an email when I was searching for Mazda. Again sorry for that.

If you can build me one, I'd be happy to pay for it and travel to UK to pick it up...
You are kidding right? :)

I think the cost-effective way would be that If I share all the details with you and I am sure someone near you can build this? Please let me know what you think.

Also I can share a few more details as I have been using the system for a couple of months now.
  • There is a small hum when you run bluetooth, USB etc. I suspect this is some switching noise from the bluetooth module that I use. I am not very concerned with that as it is not very loud.
  • There is no sync between the mazda playback, forward buttons on the module. The module would continue to play from where it left off as soon as it is powered. The right way would be to switch on the power to the bluetooth module, only when you receive signal from the mazda in-car unit to play the 'tape'. Again this is not a big problem for me. This could be possibly fixed using the arduino, didnt get time for it.

Otherwise, the module works fine and I am happy with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts