Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently drive a Honda Civic, just like 40 quadrillion other people out there. Thing is, it's beginning to get old (though I love it, it dates to 1989) and I'm probably going to have to upgrade at some point. My first choice, based on the things I like cars to have, would be a Mazda Protege ES (preferably 1995-up).

My question is twofold: first, I'd love to know if anyone has a general idea of what I should be looking out for where mechanicals are concerned; second, I'm curious as to what the going rate is. I know I can check www.kbb.com for basic values, but I'd like to know what other people have paid for theirs.

Any help given would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

hondaboy :D - no, I probably won't change the name (but we'll see)

·
Registered
428 Posts
I saw brand spanking new ES models for $17-18k in the Boston area. Used MP3 is around the same price range. Get the newer ES models if you could. Older ones has less power. 1.8 and 2.0 engines are quite reliable. Just look out for the basic leaks, check brakes, and the history of the vehicle you wanna get. Or get the upcoming 170hp Mazdaspeed Protege! B)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice Skyline, but what does that have to do in the least with the Protege?

Also, is it yours - and if so, can I drive it? ^_^

By the by, I only want an older Protege (and definitely an ES) because they tend to be cheaper - around $9k to $11k in this area for the current 1999-up style, but the ES is tough to find used. Ideally, I'd get a 2000 ES with a five-speed in white or silver, but I'm flexible.

hondaboy :D - still want a Protege

Last edited by hondaboy81 at Sep 17 2002, 04:26 PM

·
Registered
329 Posts
Originally posted by hondaboy81@Sep 17 2002, 05:25 PM
Nice Skyline, but what does that have to do in the least with the Protege?

Also, is it yours - and if so, can I drive it? ^_^

By the by, I only want an older Protege (and definitely an ES) because they tend to be cheaper - around $9k to $11k in this area for the current 1999-up style, but the ES is tough to find used. Ideally, I'd get a 2000 ES with a five-speed in white or silver, but I'm flexible.

hondaboy :D - still want a Protege
lol

Skyline will be mine one day, for now my maxima :wub: is just as good

but hope things work out for you on the Protege, there really a nice looking car... i like them alot

Good Luck
-ChRi§

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Protege is a nice car, its like a mini 626. However, the Protege has alot of aftermarket parts available for it. Its becoming a popular car in autoracing (Speedvision Challenge). Air intakes, turbos, and exhausts are available. There are way too many Civics out there, go with something different. However, I prefer my 626 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I happen to like the fact that the Protege is a little more "mature" than other subcompacts, and that there is a strong and growing aftermarket.

On the 626 note, my other choice (if not the Protege) would have to be a recent MX-6 - that's just a damned beautfiul car. The problem is, it's hard to find a sporty used Mazda for sale in this town - everyone in Colorado Springs seems to prefer the cheaper models.

But I continue to search diligently...

hondaboy :D - oh, for a Mazda

·
Registered
329 Posts
Out the mazda group I do like the Mx6 the best. I think the 626 is really nice too but if your going to get one , get the 2004... they are supose to have a TT motor with 280 hp..

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by MaxSpeedSE@Sep 20 2002, 11:45 PM
Out the mazda group I do like the Mx6 the best. I think the 626 is really nice too but if your going to get one , get the 2004... they are supose to have a TT motor with 280 hp..
That's the MPS Mazda6, and there's no definate release on that car :)

However, following sales of the Mazda6 and hopefully the RX-8, I don't think there will be a problem with that.

·
Registered
329 Posts
oh my bad, i did not know...your right

·
Registered
349 Posts
get the 626 over any mazda. the new ones are really pretty, and probably have the most potential out of all the new mazdas in the lineup, wlel i dont know for sure, but the new 626 will be pretty quick. and its a nice like luxury car, with room, and speed. :D

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
What's your price range? You can slip into a Mazda6 4 Cylinder manual for around 16k.... and it's definately a nice car :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I'm looking in the $9000-$12000 range, mainly because I don't want to pay much more than $200 a month - and no, I will not be leasing (too many people I know have lost bunches of money doing that). Also, I need something practical to haul people and stuff around on occasion - thus, a first-gen Miata (one of my all-time dream cars) is currently out of the running.

Among used Mazdas in that range (since I've pretty much decided on the brand in general), there are a lot of good choices, but there's something about buying habits in Colorado Springs that tends to favor four-cylinder-automatic combos over anything else. Maybe I'll have to take a trip up to Denver and look around. Here's what I'm looking for, though, if anyone has any suggestions.

1995-1998 Protege ES (five-speed) - lots of DX and LX models around, but...
1999-2001 Protege ES (five-speed) - and I suppose I could settle for an LX if I had to
1992-1996 MX-3 LS V6 (five-speed) - these may as well be non-existent
1993-1997 626 ES (five-speed) - I prefer these over the newer models just for being a little sleeker
1993-1997 MX-6 LS V6 (five-speed) - just a damn beautiful car

The other consideration is that insurance would probably be slightly easier for me with a four-door model - though a coupe might not be too exorbitant.

I'm strongly leaning in the direction of the Protege ES or the MX-6, but it would have to be absolutely the right car before I'd go for it.

Thoughts, anyone?

Duncan :D - still looking

·
Registered
428 Posts
I personally go for the Protege. Definitely good amount of aftermarket support for this car. The MX-6 LS is nice lookin', but somehow not too many stuff for this car. My friend used to have a MX-6 and the ride is comfy. The shifter is silky. I hope you don't get a Protege DX or LX. 130hp ES please! Good luck D! :)

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
As to Hondaboys reference to leasing a car......that a lot of times can be the way to go.....Reasons why? 1. Payments are lower 2. Insurance is generally lower because the customer does not have as much liability because the car isn't thiers 3. The car will be worth whatever you havn't paid off the price, even if the automotive market dives.....where as if you finance and about 3 years later want to sell if the market plunges your car is worth jack crap and you end up being upside down in your loan. 4. At the end of the lease you can hand the dealer the keys, refinance the car to finish paying it off, pay cash.....or trade it in on another car. A good intrest rate from a credit union is about 5.25%. However, if your a new buyer and your credit score is under 700 then you will generally have an intrest rate of 8% - 15% depending on the institution. However a BAD intrest rate on a lease is about 2.5% Leasing is done through the manufacturer and many have programs that if at the end of the lease....you lease another one of their cars you get a substantial break!!!!

So lets review.....Lower payment....lower insurance....less liability....discounts on second cars.....and the problem is ???????

Yes you can lose money in a lease, but only if you lease for 48 to 60 months because for that long you should have just finance so you would have had it payed off and owned it. Or if you drive over your mileage limit then you have to pay about .30 to .50 cents per mile over...and if there is any damage on the car then you have to pay for it.

Statistic (Audi USA) 78% of people who finance a car sell the car before the length of their loan is up.

If you have any questions let me know (Certified in Sales & Leasing...Porsche, Audi, VW, and BMW)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by skiusa2001@Sep 26 2002, 04:59 PM
Yes you can lose money in a lease, but only if you lease for 48 to 60 months because for that long you should have just finance so you would have had it payed off and owned it. Or if you drive over your mileage limit then you have to pay about .30 to .50 cents per mile over...and if there is any damage on the car then you have to pay for it.

If you have any questions let me know (Certified in Sales & Leasing...Porsche, Audi, VW, and BMW)
Exactly my point, because I plan to keep the car for a while - and, once I do get a new car, I intend on doing a bit of traveling.

I agree that leasing can be a better way to go sometimes, but just not in my case. And as for the people I know, I'm pretty sure they ought to have just purchased their cars - in two cases I can think of, the dealer lured them into bad lease deals before they knew all the facts. Which is a bad way to do anything, let alone taking possession of a car.

Thanks for the info, though. Will you be serving as our resident expert on auto sales? ;)

Duncan :D - appreciative of people who know their stuff

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd go the MX6 route because it has more spunk :D

...ok yea i'm biased B)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, you're biased... ^_^

But I'm still attracted to the idea of an older V6 for the price of a newer four (in the Protege), so my options are open.

I saw three Proteges in a row today, though - two LX and one ES. Such clean little cars...

Duncan :D - love my Honda, but I'd love a Mazda more

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Get an Mx-3 v6.. it is a GS, not LS... last GS model you can get is 94... but you can get a hell of a price on one ($6,000 or less.) The best would be to get the Limited edition model (plum color) it has leather seats woot woot. You could drop a 2.5L V6 in it and be pushing close to 200 HP in what is still (IMO) one of the best looking coupes out there when done up. go for it man. I owned one and it is fun to drive, even as a 4 cyl. And it will hold 4 people, it's just that the rear passengers will be kind of cramped hehe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Originally posted by extermin8r@Oct 9 2002, 12:23 AM
Get an Mx-3 v6.. it is a GS, not LS... last GS model you can get is 94... but you can get a hell of a price on one ($6,000 or less.) The best would be to get the Limited edition model (plum color) it has leather seats woot woot. You could drop a 2.5L V6 in it and be pushing close to 200 HP in what is still (IMO) one of the best looking coupes out there when done up. go for it man. I owned one and it is fun to drive, even as a 4 cyl. And it will hold 4 people, it's just that the rear passengers will be kind of cramped hehe.
thats exactly what I want to do after I buy my next car and have money for a project car... I just want to see the people's expression after they loose to an all motor MX-3 :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts