Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered why the performance of my 01 Millenia S car deteriorated under hotter conditions. This concern was addressed when reading a review of the vehicle in Edmunds.com. I quote from the review
"...Acceleration wasn't great, either. The Millenia lumbered along, providing 0-to-60-mph acceleration runs in 9.1 seconds. We had previously clocked another Millenia S at 8.2 seconds, and inquired of our road test coordinator as to the disparity. He replied that many factors affect performance testing and surmised that the supercharged engine was likely affected by weather conditions; the previous run was done on a chilly winter day of 49 degrees, whereas the runs for the comparison test were done on a day with temperatures in the mid to upper 70s. This is one of the shortcomings of a turbocharged or supercharged engine; optimum performance is dependant on cool temperatures. "

Are there any suggestions for keeping the supercharger performing at its peak under hot conditions.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
The information that Edmunds reported is actually very accurate. The 2.3L engine will display increase engine performance (especially torque) when the outside temperature is cooler/cold. Performance is even better, when it's cold and windy outside!

The is a phenomenon that, I have experienced/noticed first hand with my 01' Millenia S too. This is one reason why you also read/hear about import tuners constantly trying to fit a oversized/large intercooler in thier turbocharged/supercharged vehicles............... B)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is it posible to add an oversized/large intercooler in thier turbocharged/supercharged vehicles or even just a reguler intercooler... ;)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sure you can put aftermarket intercoolers on any forced induction car. You just need a place to mount it and some way to connect it. It's pretty simple in theory, but finding mounting points, and routes to run the hard pipes through can be a big PITA, trust me. I considered doing this on the milly, but I figure I'll just save that for my racer and keep the millenia's reliability. But it CAN be done if someone were so inclined. You'd have to cut a nice chunk out of the bumper for it, and who knows what else in order to run piping. The performance gains would be very very high. I would estimate in the neighborhood of 50hp perhaps. And this would allow for you to run more boost, and add more fuel, which could net even higher gains. I just wonder about the tranny though.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by boostownsjoo@Sep 23 2002, 10:38 PM
Sure you can put aftermarket intercoolers on any forced induction car. You just need a place to mount it and some way to connect it. It's pretty simple in theory, but finding mounting points, and routes to run the hard pipes through can be a big PITA, trust me. I considered doing this on the milly, but I figure I'll just save that for my racer and keep the millenia's reliability. But it CAN be done if someone were so inclined. You'd have to cut a nice chunk out of the bumper for it, and who knows what else in order to run piping. The performance gains would be very very high. I would estimate in the neighborhood of 50hp perhaps. And this would allow for you to run more boost, and add more fuel, which could net even higher gains. I just wonder about the tranny though.
An experienced automotive engineer with volumes of experience in forced induction engines, could perform the job on a Millenia S. But cost and reliability will always be a major issue.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've intercoolers on different types of cars. I in know way think that in my 3 years of working with forced induction cars that i'm an "experienced automotive engineer." You just need to do your homework. Look at cars that have this already done. You probably wouldn't find a milly with it, but just take a look at the front mounts on Toyota Supras, Eclipse/Talon turbo's, even your local ricers with their turbocharged honda civics have them occassionally. See how they mount and how they run the piping to get an idea of what kinda area you're looking at etc. It's not rocket science. Spearco builds cores for intercoolers, then all you ahve to do is get a radiator shop to weld up some end-tanks on it and then run some piping. You can buy that from muffler shops or JC-whitney sells a whole lot of different types of mandrel bent piping. As do many performance stores.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by boostownsjoo@Sep 24 2002, 11:57 AM
I've intercoolers on different types of cars.  I in know way think that in my 3 years of working with forced induction cars that i'm an "experienced automotive engineer."  You just  need to do your homework.  Look at cars that have this already done.  You probably wouldn't find a milly with it, but just take a look at the front mounts on Toyota Supras, Eclipse/Talon turbo's, even your local ricers with their turbocharged honda civics have them occassionally.  See how they mount and how they run the piping to get an idea of what kinda area you're looking at etc.  It's not rocket science.  Spearco builds cores for intercoolers, then all you ahve to do is get a radiator shop to weld up some end-tanks on it and then run some piping.  You can buy that from muffler shops or JC-whitney sells a whole lot of different types of mandrel bent piping.  As do many performance stores.

Again, we are not speaking of a run-of-the-mill honda, acura, toyota etc. Which has several compatible parts and in which just about every mechanic / enthusiate has experience tinkering with. The Millenia, is an entirely different animal. Believe me, I regularly deal with local performance shops, mainly because of my previous vehicle (acura) and just about everyone is scared to deal with the Millenia S. When it comes to going beyond the basic bolt-on performance accessories.

Perhaps the term "engineer" through you for a loop. I selected this term, because I am speaking of an individual whom is beyond a ASE Mechanic et cetera . Maintainence and Repair is an entirely different function from Development.

Hence, this is why I decided to use the word, engineer, when speaking of the Millenia and the possibilities of a larger intercooler-being correctly fabricated.

Last edited by seldomseen at Sep 30 2002, 09:48 AM

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, as a Mechanical Engineer Undergrad, I do believe that you used this term a little losely. Four to five years is a long time to spend to just weld up an intercooler. And yes, intercoolers are universal. Your average "performance shop" is nothing more than guys like you and I that decide to start making money by working on cars. The majority of them are not college educated. I don't see what you think is so special and difficult to understand about cooling the air before it goes into the throttle body. You take it, put it through an intercooler, and then feed it back into the throttle body. It would take some fabrication of parts, more than you'll likely find at a local home depot, but it can be done. Just because this is a Millenia S that not too many people fidget with (come on, your average driver of a millenia is not going to give a crap or even know that the car has intercoolers) doesn't mean that it's too difficult to do.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I think boos has a good point... In person, I've never seen anyone besides myself under the age of 40 driving a millenia. Not to say that older people don't car about performance mods, but if they do, they probably stick w/ the real performance cars that they grew up w/ (muscle cars.) There are very few people who want to mod out their Millenia... I think an intercooler is a good idea actually... will it really affect the long term reliability though? I've already had enough problems w/ this engine :angry:

·
Registered
31 Posts
im tired of the S model coming under fire. the S may not have the quickest 0-60 times, but try to pass an S on the road and see what happens....my '99 S drives better than the acura tl, and the TCS and handling is way better then most cars in its class. hey i dont mind ppl dissing the S....that just makes my S all the more potent and unique on the road :p.
when i floor it...dont cry

Last edited by Styles P at Sep 27 2002, 12:49 AM

·
Registered
121 Posts
Styles, I'm not dissing the S at all. But do you all notice, I sure do, that when the car's sat for a good 3 or more hours, you get in there, turn off the TCS, you can light the tires up through all of 1st gear? That's because of the nice cool intake temps. I'm not saying that if you have a FMIC that this would give you all that power on tap all the time, but I'm sure everyone's noticed that after sitting in the hot sun at a stoplight for a few minutes on a hot day that when you accelerate, you don't have the punch you do as when you just start up the vehicle after it's sat a while. All that heat from the engine just sitting in one place has really heated up the temps under the hood where the intercoolers are. Colder air is more dense, it has more O2 per volume than hot air does. More O2 is more for the engine to breathe on, and the cooler it is, the less knock you're likely to get, and (Here comes an assumption and correct me if I'm wrong, i'm not sure about this on the millenia) the less knock you get the less the computer will retard timing, thus giving you more power. I'm not really sure how the computer controls the power on the car, as I've never come across such information. Since I have no mods planned, I haven't really dug for anything either.

Extermin8r... an intercooler could only give benefits. All it will do is provide cooler air to the engine. Nothing more. However, I've never heard of or seen this done, so the gains, although pretty much assured, may not be worth the money it would cost to get it done. Your average FMIC with piping costs between 900 and 1500 dollars for cars that already have kits out. Who knows how much fabrication, etc. would cost for a whole new setup.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Originally posted by extermin8r@Sep 27 2002, 12:33 AM
I think boos has a good point... In person, I've never seen anyone besides myself under the age of 40 driving a millenia.  Not to say that older people don't car about performance mods, but if they do, they probably stick w/ the real performance cars that they grew up w/ (muscle cars.)  There are very few people who want to mod out their Millenia... I think an intercooler is a good idea actually... will it really affect the long term reliability though?  I've already had enough problems w/ this engine  :angry:
I just turned 30 and bought my 2000 Milly S Millenium Ed 2 years ago brand spanking new (w00t)

Last edited by atcskillz at Sep 28 2002, 09:27 AM

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by boostownsjoo@Sep 24 2002, 11:17 PM
Well, as a Mechanical Engineer Undergrad, I do believe that you used this term a little losely. Four to five years is a long time to spend to just weld up an intercooler. And yes, intercoolers are universal. Your average "performance shop" is nothing more than guys like you and I that decide to start making money by working on cars. The majority of them are not college educated. I don't see what you think is so special and difficult to understand about cooling the air before it goes into the throttle body. You take it, put it through an intercooler, and then feed it back into the throttle body. It would take some fabrication of parts, more than you'll likely find at a local home depot, but it can be done. Just because this is a Millenia S that not too many people fidget with (come on, your average driver of a millenia is not going to give a crap or even know that the car has intercoolers) doesn't mean that it's too difficult to do.
Boos, I did not use the term to loosely, you just got lost in the semantics of the word. Understanding the concept of intercoolers doesn't equate to being able to fabricate a mechanical effective/reliable one. (especially on the Millenia S) Just about everyone who is an automotive enthusiate can easily appear to be very knowledgeable about cars. Because, that's what we like, and when one likes something they tend to be somewhat knowledgeable about its subject matter.

By the way, Intercoolers are not universal, it operational concept is.

Regards,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts