Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the following tires on my '02 Milly S: Dunlop SP Sport 5000 M 215/50R17 91V M+S

I am pretty happy with these tires, very nice ride, hold the road very well. But the only problem I’ve seen is hydroplaning. 50-60 mph + 1” of water and I am looking for place to land :blink:, I haven’t even tried 70mph, might not land at all (w00t)

I checked Tirerack.com and it has very nice reviews, scary price though $188!
Does anyone know anything about this tire? How is it in snow? I bought this car in May so I haven’t had a chance to try it on winter roads yet.

Last edited by MilleniaSS-02 at Sep 23 2002, 11:10 AM

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 00 Milly S that was on Goodyear RSA's 215/50/17 and almost killed myself due to hydroplaning in Dallas, TX. :eek: I was doing about 70 and went across 4 lanes of traffic on I30 luckily missing all the traffic and ending up on the shoulder..cracking a rim and messing up the alignment. I have since put Sumitoyo's on there and they are a whole lot better. I also have some Bridgestone Potenza's on my 00 Maxima and I love those as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I used to have the same problem with the stock tires that came with my 626. (Michelin Energy) :x . I purchased a rim & tire package from the tire rack & fitted the rims with Bridgestone Potenza RE950, which are great in the rain. I also purchased Michelin Alpine snow tires which I fitted on the stock rims, my cars like a 4X4 in the snow.
I'm surprised your having problems with those tires, I read the reviews at the rack. But if your dissatisfied with them in the rain I'm sure it wont be any better in the snow. Goodluck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
yea...sometimes in panic brake situations when its wet, my brake pedal just hit the floor and i hold on, must be the abs system. but other than those situations, my milly (with TCS) grips the wet roads like a beast

Last edited by Styles P at Sep 27 2002, 12:53 AM

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's all the tires guys. The millenia is not exactly a light car that would tend to hydroplane any more than any other car. It just your tires. They're either too worn out or just don't shed water good enough. Now all tires have limits. If you're going through standing water at a high speed, anything will hydroplane. Just be careful. I've had my share of hydroplaning adventures too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, my tires are kinda new (3 month old) and it happened twice, and I was not going that fast, really. Even though these tires have pretty good reviews, perhaps they are just not be the best choice for Millennia. By the way, they perform great on dry road!

·
Registered
31 Posts
yep its definitly not the millenia's fault, the millenia is one of the best handling 4 doors out there. ive only had small hydroplanes even when it was totally my fault (short distance fast accerlation in a parking lot, just rained, and declined slope right in front of a stop sign) well long story short i hydro'd, but i was still able to cut right and avoid hitting a car. dont know if it was the tires, TCS, or what but my milly aint scared of water. i live in S florida and it rains a f* lot here.

even with abs, panic braking on a really slick surface will make u hold onto your rabbit foot.

Last edited by Styles P at Oct 1 2002, 09:27 PM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts