Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SIM_RX3's a good mate of mine, and put me onto this awesome site, so here's my current project, she's a work in progress so is a leeetle bit rough :)

She's a 1986 HC Luce Royal Classic, 13B turbo, and mine's a very similar spec to Sim's car except I've got the fridge.

In terms of mods, the engine's rebuilt and the turbo hi-flowed with a T04 compressor and a 3in exhaust. So far I'm just running stock boost and she gets 185rwhp. The tranny is stock but with an external cooler and 2200 stall convertor. Next mod are adapting a set of FC RX7 Teins, which I hope to have installed over the weekend.

Great 929 community you got here :D

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
WOW thats areally great car, Its nearly spotless as if it just came of the dealership lot. I'm loving the steering wheel and the tach. The thing that i like the most tho is the turbo 13b. Did you run on a dyno to get the whp #rs?
The car is nearly perfect accept for a couple scraches on the pass rear quarter panel. Those scraches look white in the pic and from what I remember white means its only on through clearcoat and can be buffed out.

I'm really glad that we are gaining members for AUS welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

-Dima

·
Registered
937 Posts
Electric rear bench...... LOVEN IT

that is very nice S1 HC and fully featured too

i love jap bumpers.... nice and skinny

good, work and welcome, good to see that we are getting more and more members and hopefully will build on our knowlage base

:ninja:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW thats areally great car, Its nearly spotless as if it just came of the dealership lot. I'm loving the steering wheel and the tach. The thing that i like the most tho is the turbo 13b. Did you run on a dyno to get the whp #rs?
The car is nearly perfect accept for a couple scraches on the pass rear quarter panel. Those scraches look white in the pic and from what I remember white means its only on through clearcoat and can be buffed out.
I'm really glad that we are gaining members for AUS welcome to the forum :thumbsup:
-Dima
[/b]
Oh no, the pics are a little flattering but the bodywork needs a lot of TLC and a full respray and dent-ectomy is on the cards as the next mod after the Teins. The interior is mint though, but the car was manhandled on its was to Australia so it was rather brutally shoved into a container full of engines and there are lots of little dents and scrapes as a result.

Yup, that power figure is from a dyno pull, I was worried that I might be running out of injector or something so wanted to check out the fuelling after the big turbo and the exhaust went on.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
good to hear, keep us updated on the teins i'm sure a lot of HC owners are curious how to low their cars. Its good to hear that suc ha beautiful car is in good hands.

Also what have you done to the headlights to keep them so clean?

OOOH and are the shocks you are putting in coilovers or just lowering springs/shocks?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also what have you done to the headlights to keep them so clean?[/b]
Nuthin special, just wipe it with a soapy sponge? :D
OOOH and are the shocks you are putting in coilovers or just lowering springs/shocks?
[/b]
They're Tein Super Street coilovers, so yeah, shocks and springs. They're actually for FC, so I'm going to try to adapt them to the HC strut tops and shock mounts.

Thanks for the warm welcome guys :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
First off, its good to see another Luce tuner from south of the Equator. Its good to have you on this site adding more to the 929/Luce data base. Ive seen some pics of your series I on Ausrotary. I like the gun-metal color & raingaurds.

The car is in pretty good shape for an 86. I thought 87 was the earliest they were produced ?

Im loving the lines of the hardtop & it looks good on those Advans. What are the wheel specs and do you have any pics showing fitament from the side ?

The woodgrain Mazdaspeed wheel is nice, it even compliments the 'faux' dash panel trim. Is that a Greddy boost gauge ? Are any of the buttons on the dash for the folding mirrors ? Nice demostration of the reclining rear seats, one option i wish was available for the sedan version. Do you have pics of the mini fridge in the rear & in trunk ? On the sedan model you can really tell how it is set up for these options, as i discovered from ripping the interior apart many times.

185 RWHP is still pretty good numbers for what you've done. Looks the intake box is stock too so theres more easy HP. Do you have any pics of the exhuast set up from underneath ?

With the suspension are you swapping HC top hats on to a set off FC Tein coilovers ? I assume you're getting custom springs made from what I was told on Ausrotary. Or are you canning it to the ground without custom springs ? How much are you planning to drop it f/r ?

The 929 has stock postive front camber, so does the Luce as I've seen in many pics. Do you plan on fitting a camber kit along side the coilover swap ?

I'd really don't really know too much about the Luce & I'd like to understand more. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is in pretty good shape for an 86. I thought 87 was the earliest they were produced ? [/b]
I'm pretty sure the owners handbook says it hit the road in Saitama, Japan in 1986. I'll check it again.

Im loving the lines of the hardtop & it looks good on those Advans. What are the wheel specs and do you have any pics showing fitament from the side ?[/b]
Wheels are 17x8 +33 in the front, and 17x9 +38 at the back. If you mean pics of the car from the side, I think this is the closest I got to tha angle:

Is that a Greddy boost gauge ? Are any of the buttons on the dash for the folding mirrors ? Nice demostration of the reclining rear seats, one option i wish was available for the sedan version. Do you have pics of the mini fridge in the rear & in trunk ? On the sedan model you can really tell how it is set up for these options, as i discovered from ripping the interior apart many times.[/b]
The boost gauge is a Blitz AC, and yup that switch to the right of the cruise control is for folding the mirrors back.

It's not a super clear pic but here's the panel which hides the fridge. On the left is the lid for the fridge on the right is the "air purifier", which sucks in air and breathes it out thru an air filter in the boot.

185 RWHP is still pretty good numbers for what you've done. Looks the intake box is stock too so theres more easy HP. Do you have any pics of the exhuast set up from underneath ?[/b]
I did have a pod at one point, but one of the quirks of the S4 turbo engine is that it doesn't have good boost control when you open up the exhaust a lot. So with the pod it was overboosting to 13psi which I wasn't comfortable with on the stock ecu. Refitting the more restrictive stock airbox capped this tendency and I get a nice stable 7psi. I might refit the pod one day when I've got an upgraded fuel system and standalone ecu so that I can get it mapped to 13psi and still stay safe. It theoretically should be making about 320hp at 13psi so that's way, way beyond what the stock ecu and injectors can handle. Sorry I haven't got any pics of the exhaust but it's a custom 3in system from the turbo, to a 3in custom cat then a muffler and resonator and then a baffled muffler. As it stands it's version 3.0, the first two versions were deafeningly loud, which I've discovered is sorta unavoidable with rotaries if you want to make lots of power. But it's a nice paradox...looks like a 929, sounds like an RX7 :D

With the suspension are you swapping HC top hats on to a set off FC Tein coilovers ? I assume you're getting custom springs made from what I was told on Ausrotary. Or are you canning it to the ground without custom springs ? How much are you planning to drop it f/r ?[/b]
Yup, I've got Teins without the pillowtop mounts, so I'm going to adapt them to the stock strut hats. No, I'm just using the springs that come with the Teins, and that's 275/225 which I think should be a nice compromise without being too harsh. As for the drop I dunno...at the moment my exhaust hangs quite low in the middle, so dropping it more than 1inch might be a little impractical until I get the exhaust redone, but we'll see. Since the FC shocks are shorter than the HC ones I might not have much choice but to run quite low but we'll see.

The 929 has stock postive front camber, so does the Luce as I've seen in many pics. Do you plan on fitting a camber kit along side the coilover swap ?[/b]
Maybe....my suspension shop prefers a different method though, they bolt a rig onto the hub and then use a hydraulic ram to bend the lower knuckle. I've had this done to many cars and it works well. Problem is that on the HC the inside of the wheel is quite close to the strut, so I might not have enough room to do a decent camber job. We'll see, there might be tons more room without the stock spring pan in there. It's on the cards, I think it looks a little silly with that positive camber and it's more of a VIP look to have negative camber so it's one of the things I'd like to do if possible.

I'd really don't really know too much about the Luce & I'd like to understand more. Thanks for the help.
[/b]
I'll post up my mods as we go along :) Feel free to ask any questions :D

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Thanks for the reply and for the pics again.

I really like how the hardtop has fog lights on the inner light cluster, its real classy.

For the fitament shot the 2nd pic is close, could be a tighter angle still it can give people an idea on HC fitament. 8" & 9" wide wheels fill up the fenders pretty good, lower offset even better IMO.

Interesting about the air purifier, i didnt really know too much about that.

Maybe when youre swapping the coils on you can take some pics because im sure there gonna be a members doing this mod in the near future, much appreciated.

Im not sure if I read right but even if FC coilovers are jacked up all the way in a Luce, the ride height is still slammed esp. up front. Interesting way of making camber, maybe it will work if you had lower offsets which would give some more clearance between the shock/rim. I heard from a member on here who ordered some camber kit from Aus. I forgot the name of the company but id be damn interested in getting a set.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the reply and for the pics again.

I really like how the hardtop has fog lights on the inner light cluster, its real classy.

For the fitament shot the 2nd pic is close, could be a tighter angle still it can give people an idea on HC fitament. 8" & 9" wide wheels fill up the fenders pretty good, lower offset even better IMO.

Interesting about the air purifier, i didnt really know too much about that.

Maybe when youre swapping the coils on you can take some pics because im sure there gonna be a members doing this mod in the near future, much appreciated.

Im not sure if I read right but even if FC coilovers are jacked up all the way in a Luce, the ride height is still slammed esp. up front. Interesting way of making camber, maybe it will work if you had lower offsets which would give some more clearance between the shock/rim. I heard from a member on here who ordered some camber kit from Aus. I forgot the name of the company but id be damn interested in getting a set.
[/b]
Sure, I'll take some pics during the coilover install and post them up. I'll also take some pics of the air purifier too from the boot.

The prob with the front wheels are that there really isn't much room on either the inside or outside, on hard cornering the tyres lightly rub the guards (which have been rolled) so running lower offset or wider wheels than 8in is going to be difficult without pulling the fender lips out a bit. On the rear I have undersized the tyre a little for a bit of stretch and I think I could go another 8mm or so before rubbing. But on the front, 8in +33 offset is about the limit unless I can achieve some decent camber to tuck in the top of the tyre.

Yeah I hear ya about the ride height, so I guess we'll see. Typically the Tein Super Street kits don't lower the ride height that much, so if I can achieve a FC std ride height setting, then that should be an inch lowered or so on the HC. Well, thats the theory anyway :)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
What sized tires are you running ? a 205 or 215 should give you more clearance up front. Its deffinetly gonna take camber to get the front fitting better, it a problem for these cars.

I heard the theory is 1" drop out back and 4" up front.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What sized tires are you running ? a 205 or 215 should give you more clearance up front. Its deffinetly gonna take camber to get the front fitting better, it a problem for these cars.
[/b]
I'm running 215/45-17 up front and 235/45-17 out back. I used to have the 235s at the front but they rubbed on the strut, the 215s don't rub.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I got some news. I've done 3 of the corners with just the right front to go.

In terms of fitment, the FC Teins fit 95% I would say. The FC strut mounts must be quite a bit thicker, and with the HC mounts I had to use a 6mm spacer on the rears to take up the vertical slack at the spring top hat. Also the rear top mount has an integral bumpstop which had to be sawed off.

At the front, the HC mounts are a smaller diameter than the FCs where it counts, so the coilover top hat was fouling the edges of the HC rubber. So I had to use a 25mm conical spacer between the bearing and the spring hat, otherwise the spring hat would have some vertical freeplay and foul the stock top mount.

Also on the flange where the strut bolts to the upright, the Tein items have a gusset which fouls the upright in one particular spot. I just had to file away 2mm or so and it was ok. As for other little things, the tabs on the Teins for the ABS sensor wire are in a different spot, so used cable ties to secure the wire to the tabs. The tab for the brake line looks pretty close, but I'll check it again at full lock to see if it's ok.

The Teins are 10cm shorter than the HC shocks, which surprised me, and once installed with the coilovers would all the way up, the ride height settled at a 40mm drop at the back and a 50mm drop at the front. It looks gangster, but I'm not convinced that it's a practical ride height, because it'll be way too low with a full load of ppl on board. From the wheel centre to the wheelarch lip it's 31cm front and rear now. There's about 45mm of bump travel and 40mm of droop travel and I'm not sure if that's enough.

I'll finish the last corner tomorrow and see, but I think I'll be getting some 15mm spacers made up for the strut tops, to raise it that amount all round.

Pics to come when I'm done and can get my camera back.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
WOW, I didnt know you were doing this now ! This is great I hope to fully understand when the pics are up.

Cant say for the Luce but the 929 rides about 1" higher up front. With 40mm in the rear and 50mm gone up front, doesnt it help balance the look of the car ? Most 929/Luce's I see which are lowered tend to have the off balanced look, being slammed more in the rear.

I have a 16x8 +30 in the back with a 40mm drop & theres only 10mm clearance before it hits the fender which inst rolled yet. A 245 width tire doenst help though. There doesnt seem to be much room for wide rims on this car unless you dial out alot more camber.

·
Registered
849 Posts
bout time ya got on here big fella!!

cant wait to get my bitch back on the road and be cruising with ya!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bout time ya got on here big fella!!

cant wait to get my bitch back on the road and be cruising with ya!
[/b]
Well here's how the suspension install turned out...

Boy is it low:

VIP flava y0

I even get the VIP-mandatory rear camber that only juuuust tucks the tyre in the guard:

Looks tough!

W00t

Hang on...maybe that's TOO low? *scratches head*

Oh crap...maybe I haven't thought this thru...

Maybe if I go really slow I'll be able to get it out of the driveway? Er...nope.

So...I guess this leaves me in a quandary :D :D

I think part of the problem is that my custom exhaust has a muffler that hangs down (2 inches past the chassis rails) at the wrong spot (right in the middle). If the exhaust was no lower than the chassis rails, I would have 10cm of clearance at that mid point, which wouldn't be so bad.

Nevertheless, 2 solutions come to mind. One is that the softer 275/225 Super Street springs allow the suspensiont o sag too much, and maybe I should replace them with the 440/330 Tein springs I have lying around. And/or I can try to get some spacers to sit between the strut hat and the tower (the front will take 15mm the rear 8mm). A combination of both might raise the car enough, and then I'll get the mid section of the exhaust redone to relocate that muffler somewhere else to free up another inch.....will report back soon.

Let it never be said that I don't think these things thru....oh wait...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
That truly looks great. Its amoung the lowest Luce's Ive seen on the net. Theres that ride height I was talking about. Our ride height is pretty similar. I guess i should have asked in the first place. Are you tryin to go VIP style ?

The muffler is deffinetly not helping you out. Get it bent up or sumthin. Its waaay lower than mine, mind you im not using 3" but I do have a large resonator located where the stock one was. If done you could keep the height like this.

Would you ever consider getting more aggresive fitament rims ? stretched tires/rolled fenders, slight camber, more drop - good stance and man you are SET. Although I do recomend you also find the series II chrome front lip.

Either way yo, the ride is nice, id like it with or without the Advans.

oh yeah how does it handle ?

·
Registered
849 Posts
getthat muffler moved to be under the back seat dude. that will solve the clearance issue..

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Congrats on a sucessfull suspension install. I'm really glad to see things working out when modifying suspension sysems. :thumbsup:

You ride hegiht issue might be solved with helper springs, i dont know if tein makes these but for my coilovers i can get a set of helper springs to raise the car a littlebit.

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct.aspx?ProductID=73

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
getthat muffler moved to be under the back seat dude. that will solve the clearance issue..
[/b]
Will do....the stock front shocks are going to go back on, and that should be ebough of a lift to get it out of the driveway and to Castle Hill Exhausts...

I'm a member on the AUSVIP forums and another member said "bah, that's not low....this is my car"

Holy crap!

1 - 20 of 189 Posts