Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stereo is stock, its already 6 years old and its about time to replace

I have an after market CD player that is about 3 years old.

I want to get some Bad Ace Speakers.. I want something that really kicks. Ones that hit hard, so i don't have to get sub's, I hate the Intall on subwoofers, and I really want to stay light weight

Where do you guys usually go to get speakers? Internet? Where? Im thinking Best Buy would be ok? But if im looking to go all out on speakers, with the sound quality of subs, what would yall recommend?

Get back to me
Thanks
ChRi§ :blush:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Check www.crutchfield.com to start with. They have a fitment guide that can tell you exactly what brands and models will fit in your car. But they tend to be a touch expensive, so I'd find the speakers that interest you at their site and then shop around.

I recently got a set of Pioneer replacements (at Circuit City) for the stock speakers that were in my Civic - they sound a lot better at high volume, but now my stock head unit is losing the right channel entirely. Yet that's okay, because I was planning on getting a CD player soon anyway... :)

And by the way...

I really want to stay light weight
...that is exactly the way I feel. It's nice to have a quality system, but only if I can maintain the car's performance at the same time.

Duncan :D - good luck!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, I totally forgot about CrutchField , I have a bunch of there mags lying around. I already know my cars speaker size, I use to be in he whole audio thing, ive installed the speakers in there, my CD unit, and even some friends subs, I just don't want subs, I want speaks that hit like subs =) I know high quality speakers are going to be pricey, but i feel it will be worth it, I will have AWESOME sound while cruzen or racing, and stay light weight, and I feel, the money i pay for REALLY good speakers wont be near as much as if I got Subs, box, Amps, ect......so to me they will be worth it.

Thanks for the tip ;)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hey Max,

Make sure that you get something to power your speakers(amp), and youll like it. You can get a nice 4 channel amp for cheap. The thing when you add an amp your head unit doesn't have to work very hard(duncans is going out). I had a kenwood deck, and anytime I turned up the volume....the reciver got hot and distorted badly(about 1/3 as loud). I don't know if they have soundtrack where your from...but thats the best electronics store out there as far as i'm concerned(excellent installs). Everyone there is MECP certified, and has the knowhow to work on complicated cars with hard electronics(the milly). Just my $.02

Bryan

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by bryanj@Oct 30 2002, 07:37 PM
Hey Max,

Make sure that you get something to power your speakers(amp), and youll like it. You can get a nice 4 channel amp for cheap. The thing when you add an amp your head unit doesn't have to work very hard(duncans is going out). I had a kenwood deck, and anytime I turned up the volume....the reciver got hot and distorted badly(about 1/3 as loud). I don't know if they have soundtrack where your from...but thats the best electronics store out there as far as i'm concerned(excellent installs). Everyone there is MECP certified, and has the knowhow to work on complicated cars with hard electronics(the milly). Just my $.02

Bryan
ummm.... :shifty:

You have a very good point, if my head unit only has 45 watts like it does, and I get awesome 80 watt speakers, they I wont get the full potential out of my speakers...thanks for reminding me on that, I think I still have a 4 way amp lying in the garage some where too! B)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I'll add my two cents worth of praise for SoundTrack as well. Though I haven't bought any car audio stuff from them, they're very knowledgeable about electronics in general. They're a bit on the pricey side, but they carry everything and they'll occasionally have great clearance deals if you pay attention.

As for my head unit, apparently it was going out anyway - the intermittent nature of the right channel was the reason I picked up new speakers in the first place. The tech at Circuit City mentioned that the wiring tested okay, so the only cause had to be the stock head unit. Obviously, any current CD player upgrade will have considerably more power than my 1989-vintage Honda cassette deck, so I'll just stick it out a little longer.

Duncan :D - ain't got the hookup...yet

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never herd of soundtrack, we must not have them here

we have places like Rollen sound, Best buy ....ummmm thats about it for really good products.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Chris,

Definitely go internet with your purchases dude. You will save mass amounts of cash and if you are installing it yourself you will save even more. There are several trustworthy sites where you can get great deals. Here I will paste my suggestions from an older topic: I have bought pretty much all my stereo stuff off of the internet and have had no problems. My deck, a Panasonic CQ-DF802U, I got for like $265 shipped ($400 in crutchfield and at car toys, etc) I got it off of Ebay from a company called hookedontronics... they have fast shipping and really good feedback.. good company. You could also try Woofersetc I heard they are good and they have my deck for a comparable price. I bought my front Infinity door speakers from Carmedia1 for a really good price and know people who have bought stuff from them with no problems. I bought my rear Kenwood speakers and JBL amplifier from scala1 off of ebay who also has a website Ikesound he has some neg feedback but I had no problem and people off of Caraudioforum swear by him... All in all, I have had really good experiences and have saved my broke 19 year old ass a lot of dough. I pretty much buy all of my electronics stuff online. You just have to shop around for reliable and trustworthy sites. The places I mentioned have some of the lowest prices on the net (from my experience)... if you find any lower be warned because it could be too good to be true. But yea as long as you know what you want I'd say go online... when you walk into a best buy or circuit city you are paying not just for the product but for the people who work there + middleman. Not so online. Also, electronics chains have a limited selection of products, and consequently, they will tell you that an MTX thunder 4000 sub will hit harder than an Audiobahn... :rolleyes:

Oh, and as far as speakers that will "hit"... it's going to be hard to replicate a subwoofer, obviously, but some speakers can put out good bass. In my experience, upper priced kenwood's put out good bass, so do pioneers. Lower priced infinity's (reference series) do not put out much bass but higher priced (kappa, etc) put out some pretty good bass. Boston acoustics put out clean bass... not real hard though. I think Rockford's high end component sets might hit, just hearsay though. Oh yea, another bit of hearsay, a friend claimed his polk components hit like little subs... never really heard them, but he's into car audio quite a bit... One more thing though, have you ever considered Aura Bass Shakers? They aren't speakers, but they replicate the vibrations and resonances caused by larger subwoofers. They are little discs that you put under your seat and power with a small amp... they vibrate the sh*t out of stuff and make it feel like you have 15's or something. It is basically like having big time subs without the weight or headaches/dizziness/nauseum :x etc (lol) If you are really interested I have a pair that I have never used because I don't have an amp or a need for them really. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I love my Infinities :D

I have the Kappa's though, front and back with Polk Audio Subs.. The Infinties don't give you much bass, so instead I turned my subs down to -3 to get a nice crisp hit in the car instead of just a thump thump that gives me a headache :)

I prefer the quality of the music with the loudness, so I opted for what I did. In hindsite I wish I had gotten a single 12" Infinty Perfect sub... but can't do much about it now :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by extermin8r@Nov 1 2002, 02:48 AM
Chris,

Definitely go internet with your purchases dude. You will save mass amounts of cash and if you are installing it yourself you will save even more. There are several trustworthy sites where you can get great deals. Here I will paste my suggestions from an older topic: I have bought pretty much all my stereo stuff off of the internet and have had no problems. My deck, a Panasonic CQ-DF802U, I got for like $265 shipped ($400 in crutchfield and at car toys, etc) I got it off of Ebay from a company called hookedontronics... they have fast shipping and really good feedback.. good company. You could also try Woofersetc I heard they are good and they have my deck for a comparable price. I bought my front Infinity door speakers from Carmedia1 for a really good price and know people who have bought stuff from them with no problems. I bought my rear Kenwood speakers and JBL amplifier from scala1 off of ebay who also has a website Ikesound he has some neg feedback but I had no problem and people off of Caraudioforum swear by him... All in all, I have had really good experiences and have saved my broke 19 year old ass a lot of dough. I pretty much buy all of my electronics stuff online. You just have to shop around for reliable and trustworthy sites. The places I mentioned have some of the lowest prices on the net (from my experience)... if you find any lower be warned because it could be too good to be true. But yea as long as you know what you want I'd say go online... when you walk into a best buy or circuit city you are paying not just for the product but for the people who work there + middleman. Not so online. Also, electronics chains have a limited selection of products, and consequently, they will tell you that an MTX thunder 4000 sub will hit harder than an Audiobahn... :rolleyes:

Awsome Right up man,

I will defiantly check all those places out.. I will E-mail you if I have any questions, but im going to study some of those places...never herd of any of them, hope i find some good shhiiiiiizz :rolleyes:

Chris

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Shayaan@Nov 1 2002, 02:58 AM
I love my Infinities :D

My car just came with , i guess you can call it base...its a 96 and Boss wasent really standord yet, my moms 2001 max has a boss system and my god its awsome, i just want somthing thats like that, AWSOME sound, and it dosent really have to HIT hard, just some base =)

·
Registered
428 Posts
http://www.mmxpress.com/

The best discounted car stereo online store. Hands down. B)

For a 96 Maxima I would get a Alpine HU with V-Drive, component set speakers (6.75 inch) for the front stage, I would also go with Boston Acoustics. They have a very nice natural sound to them. Toss in a 6.75 inch Pioneer coaxial in the rear deck. Lightweight is the name of the game? Infinity Basslink? Just having a single 10" subwoofer in a small box will make you sound good cruising and still light. A 12" is deeper though, but heavier box. I feel a subwoofer completes the whole process. 1 or 2 amps plus one sub in a small box doesn't affect a car's performance that much. I used to have a 96 Mustang Cobra and had a 12" Kicker sub/box in the trunk. I never felt any performance losses. :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by MilleniaFalcon@Nov 6 2002, 02:44 AM
http://www.mmxpress.com/

The best discounted car stereo online store. Hands down. B)

For a 96 Maxima I would get a Alpine HU with V-Drive, component set speakers (6.75 inch) for the front stage, I would also go with Boston Acoustics. They have a very nice natural sound to them. Toss in a 6.75 inch Pioneer coaxial in the rear deck. Lightweight is the name of the game? Infinity Basslink? Just having a single 10" subwoofer in a small box will make you sound good cruising and still light. A 12" is deeper though, but heavier box. I feel a subwoofer completes the whole process. 1 or 2 amps plus one sub in a small box doesn't affect a car's performance that much. I used to have a 96 Mustang Cobra and had a 12" Kicker sub/box in the trunk. I never felt any performance losses. :)
Awsome write up! Thanks for the site, im checking out right now!

·
Registered
428 Posts
mmxpress easily blows away crutchfield. :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
oh yea forgot to mention mmxpress... they have really good customer service. they don't have as good of prices as woofersetc or carmedia1 though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Wow! :eek: You're right extermin8er! I saw the Clarion DVD player with screen on Carmedia for $1500. mmwpress has it for $1700. Just put Carmedia on my favorite list. Crutchfield has that listed at $2k. You just saved me $500! Thanks, dude! :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
hey man no problem.. don't forget to check out those other sites too though... they also have really good prices. I've noticed that some places will have a certain HU cheaper than another place but the other place might have a pair of speakers for less... you have to shop around.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah Awsome sites guys, thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
428 Posts
mmxpress just edged out carmedia on the Clarion DVD player/screen!! mmxpress was $1700, now it's $1400!! A hundred less then carmedia!! (w00t)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Pretty soon, they'll be blowing 'em out the door for about a hundred bucks if this keeps up. Good to know they'll compete... :)

Duncan ;D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts