Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this forum. I recently obtained a Mazda 323 1.6i, not really sure what the exact year is, just know its in the 80's. Anyways I am making this post becuase it has about a full tank of gas that has gone bad, and from what I can tell that is one of the only reasons it is not currently running. I am hoping there someone can tell me how to drain the tank. Thanks, have a great day!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
i did this on an old bmw 2002tii. it had sat for more than 10 years with fuel in the tank. the only way to do a good job is to remove the tank. if it is metal, it will be all rusted inside, and plenty of varnish. the fuel sending units were just crusted with varnish. they can be cleaned quite easily, but the tank was another matter. if it is rusted inside, your only options is to get a new one, or clean and coat the old one. if you decide to clean it, the best way is to get it dipped. what i did was put a whole bunch of old nuts and bolts inside, tape up the openings, then shake the crap out of the tank. you have to shake it violently for quite a while. remove the nuts and bolts, and all the rust, wash it will a lot of solvent. then, i poured in a quart of fuel tank sealer. you can get this sealer at places that sell old car parts, check hemmings classic car, if they are still around. cover the openings with some really good tape, then slosh the sealant all around inside the tank. that stuff is toxic. after a bit, remove the tape, and drain out what is left, then let it dry. i think a couple of days. i dont think a 323 1.6 of that vintage is worth all this. a 73 bmw 2002tii is worth a lot more, and they keep increasing in value.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts