Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, i'm thinking about upgrading (again) my system. right now i have the stock bose system with a cd changer added and an alpine amp running a jl audio 10" sub. i'm kinda new to all this, so any suggestions on brands, etc for head unit, speakers and amp. my understanding for the bose is if you change out the headunit or the speakers, then you need to change out everything. also cost range?
thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are a dapters that allow you to change out your head unit. If you want to upgrade your system, you will be better off changing everything. Simply because the impedence of the bose speakers are lower than regular speakers. Plus you wont be limited to how loud you want it to be.

My system: av8132 eclipse screen jl300/4 amp, Z6 boston acoutsic components Rm9 6 x 9 Boston rears and 2 10"w6 subs pushed by JL1000/1
Caps and battery to supply juice to my amps :shifty: B)

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks im still trying to find out how to post pictures on the website so as soon as i post them and have all the accessories I will have the pics up.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For me, I'm going all out. I may have sold all my equipment, but this time around, I'm getting the best of the best. HU will be a DVD player with screen. Clarion, Kenwood, Pioneer, or Panasonic. I like the touch screen on the Clarion and Kenwood, but I love the looks on the Panasonic. We'll see. Added on will be a changer of course. Dolby decoder. Satelite. AudioControl eq. TV tuner. Monitors for the headrests. Boston Acoustic ProSeries 5.25 inch components in the front. ProSeries sounds the best for my tastes and natural with no tweeter harshness. Rear deck, I don't really care what brand 6x9 as long it has good bass notes. I like Pioneer speakers though. They sound very bassy. Moving onto amps. I'll get the JL Audio 300/4 and 1000/1. Jl Audio has great amps. Very clean. 300 to power the 4 main speakers at 75 watts each. The 1000 will power 2 JL Audio W7 12 inch subs. Maybe just one W7. One W7 sounds like 3 10s in a box. I'll get the HU though Carmedia.com and the rest from my friend who works at Tweeters Etc at employee prices! B)

I f you're not going crazy like me, I suggest a Alpine head unit with Bass Engine or V-Drive. I think Alpine has the best head units on the market. User friendly. Kenwood comes second to me coz they use good quality circuitry in their gear like Alpine, but lookwise, Kenwood always scares me off. Pioneer head units is too complicated with all their functions packed into the buttons. Sony is alright.
Speakers, that's a whole new ballgame. It really depends on one's tastes. I can say I think these speakers sound awesome to me, but it may not sound awesome to you. Get my drift? Go out to stores who has car speakers and give them all a listen. Same for subwoofers. But I would suggest JL Audio subs. W3, W6, W7, and even W0. JL has a reputation for strong, deep, loud subs. I heard them all and I believe it. You may find other brand names just as good. Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, etc. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
who ever told you that 2 12 w7 subs will sound good on a jl 1000/1 is crazy. the 12 w7 needs at least 750 rms power and to make it sound good at least 1000 watts. so sorry to say that you need more than that to get that setup to work.

·
Registered
0 Posts
first off, NEVER get an adaptor with a stock bose system, there are pre-amps and out-put amps, its 2 much and will f with everything, and either cause a fire or your stereo to die, in my 2000 i put in a pioneer deh-p940, it is unmatched, its truly the kingpin of headunits, it gives you completle control over your music, things you wouldn't even have thought of, but do not connect any speaker wires though adaptors, you have to go in and phyical splice open the DIRECT LEAD speaker wires, then put an adaptor on the SPEAKERS no where eles, for ohm control and power, otherwise you'll blow the speakers in a week or fry the internal headunit amp, i personally just thought it better to replace the entire system, but im an audio nut, if you wanna keep it cheap and simple, go to like best buy, get a simple deh-6400 or 7400, have them install it with like pioneer systems, bass blockers, and get a small sub, i.e jl 10w3 or something

1 - 7 of 7 Posts