Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my my 2016 CX-5 in to Autozone to replace the battery. The 'tech' plugged in their device to preserve the setting on the car and replaced the battery. However, none of my settings were saved and the check engine light came on. The tech said I should take it a mechanic to get it cleared. Most places here charge $45-$65 to plug in their OBD scanners so I bought my own. Three to be exact. Two were blue tooth and the final was hardwired. There is no power getting to the scanner. I cannot find any fuses associated with the OBD port.
I have read and searched older posts without a resolution.
Any suggestions? Do I take it to a dealer?
Many thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
My guess is the gizmo the Autozone tech plugged in was a 12 volt backup battery to hold the memory while he changed the battery. Apparently there was a flaw in the connection causing you to loose power and therefore memory.

Not all OBD readers will reset for a new battery.

I can't answer why you have no power to the readers you have. I start with the simple things first. Car in the mode it needs to be in to power it. Properly seated in socket. Bluetooth set up. I'm just guessing at this point.

I don't believe it's an issue to simply take off the + battery terminal and put it back on again. This resets the computer and will sometimes clear a code. Hopefully the code was only registering as a result of temporary voltage loss.

If it is confirmed you don't have any power to the OBD port, I would take it to a dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is the gizmo the Autozone tech plugged in was a 12 volt backup battery to hold the memory while he changed the battery. Apparently there was a flaw in the connection causing you to loose power and therefore memory.

Not all OBD readers will reset for a new battery.
-------- [trimmed]
If it is confirmed you don't have any power to the OBD port, I would take it to a dealer.
Ended up being a blown fuse under the hood. Thank you for your encouragement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts