Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's my first post. Thanks to "hondaboy" I found out about this site over at C&D forum. But anyways... like most older cars with 160K, the good ol' Protege sometimes puffs a little smoke in the morning, and consumes extra oil. I just bought a couple quarts of Valvoline's MAXLIFE high mileage oil. Just wondering if anyone else has tried that here. Personally, I think I can tell a difference already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey ...349,

If you're out there lurking... What do you think of the MAXLIFE engine oil now, after 6 months? I'm considering the MAXLIFE ATF for a '91 Protege LX manual tranny, if I can use ATF at all! Still not sure about that. Let us know what you think about the MAXLIFE oil. Thanks.

Pete
'90 Honda VFR750F, race modified
'83 Honda Turbo-LX "project"

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Maxlife is a decent oil. It provides additives that many do not have. However.....I seriously discourage the use of ATF in you manual......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ski,

The '91 Protege owner's manual says to use ATF (M-III or Dexron II) in the manual transaxle for DOHC/2WD versions, and GL-4 (75W-90) for SOHC/2WD. :wacko: I've got the LX/DOHC engine. The hood sticker says ATF (M-III or Dexron II) or SAE 75W-80; above 0 F. use 80W-90. What do you use..., and why not use ATF?

Pete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts