Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

SORRY THIS POST IS SUPPOSE TO SAY OIL LIGHT FLICKERING, NOT LICK LOL. I CANT EDIT IT. IF SOMEONE CAN PLEASE DO.

Well I was driving yesterday and pulled to a stop at the traffic light, I noticed my oil light started to flicker. Then when I pulled off it turned off. Went to the next traffic light and it did it again, I made it home and the car is fine. I checked the oil level and its between the half way mark and full. The car is due for an oil change soon but I havent gone over the recommended mileage for the oil change. Any ideas what this could be, or maybe the light is shorting somewhere?

Regards

BWIA330

·
Registered
158 Posts
i am going to venture and say it is relating to your oil pressure not the level itself look into that but i could be wrong. first thing i would check is your belts and for s.n.g. check for any codes. not all codes will cause the cel to come on.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Its not your oil pressure.

Next to your oil filter is your oil pressure sensor. It is mounted on the block and is 17mm IIRC. There is a single connector on it. You need to pull it off and sand down the single tab prong on it. Your experiencing an intermittent connection problem due to corrosion.
Clean up both ends and your good to go.

If that doesn't fix it, order a new oil pressure sensor for $16 from the dealer and that should fix your problem.
Been there... done that. :D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts

Next to your oil filter is your oil pressure sensor. It is mounted on the block and is 17mm IIRC. There is a single connector on it. You need to pull it off and sand down the single tab prong on it. Your experiencing an intermittent connection problem due to corrosion.

If that doesn't fix it, order a new oil pressure sensor for $16 from the dealer and that should fix your problem.
Been there... done that. :D[/b]
what he ^ said. i would just replace the switch. they are about 8 bucks aftermarket. i sold tons of them for bmw. same basic type, they leak, and they die.

·
4,952 Posts

Been there... done that. :D[/b]
Wow I would say it might be the sensor or connection but you guys are so sure about it. Definitely if yellow and ken say something they know what they are talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Nobody can know for sure it's not the oilpressure, but to say it is 99% certain is ok, at least in this case. But in general a flickering oil light may very well be caused by a really worn engine or oilpump. Been there done that. I once drove an old Volvo 144 where the oillamp came on if going sub 30 mph in top gear when the engine was warm.
Not my car obviously. No fan.

·
4,952 Posts
Nobody can know for sure it's not the oilpressure, but to say it is 99% certain is ok, at least in this case. But in general a flickering oil light may very well be caused by a really worn engine or oilpump. Been there done that. I once drove an old Volvo 144 where the oillamp came on if going sub 30 mph in top gear when the engine was warm.
Not my car obviously. No fan.[/b]
No fan? i remember old VWs didnt have fan. They didnt even have coolant. Thanks god they realize air is not enough to cool it down.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Lol. I'm no fan. Of Volvo ;)

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I'd be willing to bet its the oil pressure sensor. 99.99% sure. Why they even have it on the engine is just retarded. It's set at such a low threshold that you can run the engine dry of oil and it will not even turn on! Its not even a proportional type of sensor. Its binary; either it is on or its off. My brother threw a rod through the block after I rebuilt and freshen up and engine for him (KLDE). The day prior to failure I checked the oil and it had ZERO oil in it and he was driving around with it like that for months. NO oil light what-so-ever. I can't blame him because he's the "lawyer" type and could care less about checking vital engine fluids.

I've replace mine with a digital transducer one. I get readings through-out the rpm band. The OEM was just pure junk. No wonder they are only $8-16.

Either way... the oil pressure sensor on the KL engine is just pointless. Doesn't do shit.

BWIA please keep us updated on this one.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
It will be on if the engine is bone dry. Even lawyers will have trouble running an engine bone dry of oil unless the drainplug falls off. It will still be devastating for the engine to run on extremely low level, even though the lamp is still dark. Now I guess some lawyers are likely to continue driving even if the lamp comes on, so the car is likely to suffer anyway.

After an oilchange it takes a while before the filter is filled with oil, and at least on all the cars I've had the oil light have stayed on untill the pressure has built up while engine idles. Like 3-5 seconds. Even during really cold startups with dino oil it can take a while untill it goes off. I agree it is not an accurate piece of equipment but it works for me. Funny how they can't design a pressure switch that lasts the car out though, leakwise. Obviously it is positioned perfect to recieve all kinds of salt and grid from the road, to make a bad connection too. Not happened to me though, yet.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
I have never had my oil light go on for any of my Millienias after an oil change. I could see why and how it should though.... do you think that was just another part that got "dumbed" down for us in the USA market?

·
4,952 Posts
Fanny :D

Mine stayed on longer after oil change too. But I fill the filter with oil as much as I can to avoid starving.

One thing I know is the easier a part to change the more rust and harder to remove it on my car :(

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
I dunno Yel-low, is your oil light on when you turn on the ignition? If not the bulb is dead. With my first post in this thread in mind I should add probably ;)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I dunno Yel-low, is your oil light on when you turn on the ignition? If not the bulb is dead. With my first post in this thread in mind I should add probably ;)[/b]
My oil light works and it is never on when starting the car even after an oil change. That is with both the old and replacement oil pressure switch

·
4,952 Posts
My oil light works and it is never on when starting the car even after an oil change. That is with both the old and replacement oil pressure switch[/b]
It is never on? I think mine turns off after engine completely started.

Analog light makes more sense IMO. Analog battery light is definitely more useful. I imagine it turns on, though dim, by the end of the battery life.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
My oil light works and it is never on when starting the car even after an oil change. That is with both the old and replacement oil pressure switch[/b]
Ditto... exactly why I never saw a use for the factory one. Perhaps I just had a string of bad luck.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'd be willing to bet its the oil pressure sensor. 99.99% sure. Why they even have it on the engine is just retarded. It's set at such a low threshold that you can run the engine dry of oil and it will not even turn on! Its not even a proportional type of sensor. Its binary; either it is on or its off. My brother threw a rod through the block after I rebuilt and freshen up and engine for him (KLDE). The day prior to failure I checked the oil and it had ZERO oil in it and he was driving around with it like that for months. NO oil light what-so-ever. I can't blame him because he's the "lawyer" type and could care less about checking vital engine fluids.

I've replace mine with a digital transducer one. I get readings through-out the rpm band. The OEM was just pure junk. No wonder they are only $8-16.

Either way... the oil pressure sensor on the KL engine is just pointless. Doesn't do shit.

BWIA please keep us updated on this one.[/b]

Where did you get the digital transducer one and how do you get its readings?

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Ditto... exactly why I never saw a use for the factory one. Perhaps I just had a string of bad luck.[/b]
Umm, you guys don't rev the engine while pressure builds up do you? That is NOT a wise thing to do, the engine should be warm enough to just idle after startup. I find it very odd that your oil lamps aren't on after and oilchange, obviously with filter. Like I said, all my engines and that is since 1982...

·
Banned by Goliat6288
3,833 Posts
here neither... no oil lamp after oil change.... thats a nother light ive never seen on the milly.

sorry if this is offensive to anyone.... but... HELL NO I DONT REV MY ENGINE WHILE WARMING UP..... IM NOT STUPID.... i look at people that do that like retards... ive had a good 5 arguments at work about that. one guy with a 05 envoy, another guy that has an oldsmobile aurora and others that are gone... reving up their engines so their cars can "heat up faster"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts