Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm debating wether to spend $130 for the low and high beam sets of PIAA extreme white bulbs...i've read that they're the best...but the price seems rather steep compared to other high density bulbs that are out there..could someone tell me if there are any other manufacturers that produce good quality high density bulbs for millenias...or should i just buy the PIAA bulbs, if they are in fact the best...

thanks

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Stay away from all those 9006 style High Intensity Bulbs, they suck!

·
0 Posts
piaa's are good stick with them, the cheaper ones will just burn your headlight sockets out. you must get ones b/t 51-65w, piaa is expensive bc they make high output with little wattage. dont really worry about the highbeams then if you're concerned with money.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seldomseen,
i went ot piaa.com and for low beam they had the 9006 for the millenia...why do you say they suck? can SOMEONE give me a definitive answer here!!! LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Only the PIAA bulbs (9006) are worth a damn. I will get them myself later. As the previous poster said-their bulbs are rated at the wattage of the stock headlight harness-ALL THE CHEAP ONES SOLD ON EBAY AND AUTO STORES FRY YOUR WIRING. I kept wondering why only one bulb was burning out, but it was sporadic. I used the cheap blue lens in the 98 I had and they caused me headaches-so in this 99 only the best. Ponie up the extra fetti and get the PIAAs.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
oh shit...well i just bought these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...1852031359&rd=1, can someone take a look and tell me if these will fry my shit..i hope not...they seem like the brightest bulbs out there..even though they're not PIAAs.

thanks
The best bulbs for your car are PIAA Plasma (you won't find them in stores, only on eBay or online somewhere) bulbs. They are the brightest and throw the most light.

Last edited by Shayaan at Aug 29 2002, 08:29 PM

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i know PIAA are the best...but what about the brand i bought...check out the link..tell me if they're good..

thanks

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
i know PIAA are the best...but what about the brand i bought...check out the link..tell me if they're good..

thanks
I checked it out. All bulbs other than PIAA have a bit of Xenon gas in them to say they are "Xenon bulbs", but are really yellow bulbs with a blue tint. They are terrible in adverse weather, but on regular days are fine.

Last edited by Shayaan at Aug 29 2002, 08:29 PM

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have '02 Mill (new body style), new headlights are projector like. Anyone knows whether PIAA bulbs would still be the best choice for this type of headlights?

thanks

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
PIAA bulbs are the best by far. I've tried the cheaper brands and they all burn out after a month or so. I've used PIAA Plasma bulbs in both my Millenia's and have never had a problem.

Having projector lamps and PIAA bulbs will look almost identical to a BMW HID or Audi HID light.

What determins the brightness is the material the filiment is made of. The (true) blueness is determined by the tempeture the bulb burns at. True HID burn at 6000 Kelvin. Piaa burn at 5000 kelvin. Most cheap bulbs burn at 3000-4000 K. The only reason they look blue is because the lense is tinted that way.

Last edited by skiusa2001 at Aug 31 2002, 02:57 PM

·
Registered
2 Posts
THE PLASMA 9006 FROM PIAA WERE VERY GOOD. NICE COLOR AND OUTPUT. THOUGH PRICEY, THEY WERE WORTH THE MONEY. FOR THOSE WITH THE $$$, JUST UPGRADE TO A "REAL" HID KIT!

·
Registered
399 Posts
The 9006 bulb doesn't leave as much room as the H4 to fit in a lot of Xenon gas, so they will never be as white as advertised. So when companies/people declare how great a bulb is, be wary of what sort of bulb they are using.

As for cheap aftermarket bulbs, I highly recommend Eaglite. Sure, they run at 80-watt and may burn out your wires, but they are, by far, the whitest (with a tint of blue/purple) light output I've ever seen. All other brands for the 9006 series fail by comparison. I've found, after buying a whole mess of various bulb brands, the bluer the glass tint, the whiter the light output will be. Eaglite have the darkest blue out of all of them, yet still has a good output for illumination. Check out http://www.midnightmoose.com to order for cheap.

As for Piaa, I haven't tried the SuperPlasma series yet, but I would probably recommend those over the regular SuperWhites. I bought the SuperWhite and they weren't anything special to talk about. I'm a bit hesitant to buy the SuperPlasma's, but looking at the pictures they seem to have that mirror/clear tint, so I guess they rely more on the gases inside rather than the glass to change the color. Should be a better.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
It's true, the blue'r the glass, the blue'r the light........BUT, the blue'r the glass the worse the visiblilty. I've tried 3 different bulbs before the piaa's and they all sucked in the winter. I live in central oregon and get a lot of snow, and other adverse weather conditions. I've tried Plasma Industries, Xenon Krypton (not sure who made it), and sylvania. The only one that even gives near the visibility that real HID gives are the PIAA. True, the others give you the look, so if thats all you car about than it doesn't matter. (Can you tell I'm biast :) )

·
Registered
399 Posts
Cool beans! I was a bit hesitant before in plunking down that much money for a set of Piaa's, because I had purchased their super whites before and wasn't too impressed. However since the new plasma line has everyone's seal of approval, I think I might get them.

Those of you looking for another online site that sells them, check out:

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/piaa/bodymainpiaa.html

They offer the Super Plasma and Plasma Fx for the 9006 at $89.50 a pair. But the great thing is they accept credit cards and PayPal.

Anyone know the difference between the Super Plasma and Plasma Fx?

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Image_800@Sep 6 2002, 09:55 AM
Cool beans! I was a bit hesitant before in plunking down that much money for a set of Piaa's, because I had purchased their super whites before and wasn't too impressed. However since the new plasma line has everyone's seal of approval, I think I might get them.

Those of you looking for another online site that sells them, check out:

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/piaa/bodymainpiaa.html

They offer the Super Plasma and Plasma Fx for the 9006 at $89.50 a pair. But the great thing is they accept credit cards and PayPal.

Anyone know the difference between the Super Plasma and Plasma Fx?
The super plasma's are better, and the best bulb that will work in your car.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just bought a pair of Platinum Super Whites(9006) and Ion Crystal(H3). Can't wait to put them in! Super Whites are a "tried and true" bulbs so I went with a well respected company, PIAA. The store had Extreme Whites, but they all were high wattage. If they had Extremes at 51 watts I would've got those instead. I should be happy with the Supers. The Ion Crystals project a amber color. I wanted something different then matching set of headlights and foglights. ^_^

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hmm, I just sprung for a set of 9006 Super Plasma bulbs. Do these come in more than 1 color? Because they seem a bit purple/pink to me. I thought they would be a bit more bluer/white. Is this true for others of you running the Super Plasma's as well? Just curious.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts