Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 96 626 problem that I know somebody can solve. Recently I was turning up the volume on my stereo when my dash and tail lights went dead. I checked the owner's manual, and the appropriate fuse controlling these things was located in the engine compartment, and was just one of those little 15A plastic fuses. That fuse looked fine, but I replaced it anyway. Didn't work!
Anyway, I had an aquaintance who said he had replaced his stock stereo with an aftermarket one, and when he installed it himself, he had the same problem. He then had to pull out the deck and fiddle with the ground wires. (I guess one of them wasn't correctly in)
My question, is this worth looking at? I am not sure how to take out the stock stereo? Any help there? None of the bulbs appear to be burned out. It must be some short in the line somewhere?! If you have any input, I would really appreciate it, cuz I don't have the $$ to take this in to get fixed. I am not a mechanic, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but there should be a fuse box inside of the cabin as well. It should be in or under the dash board. Check the fuses there as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 96 626 as well, there is another fuse compartment on the lower side panel of the driver side, under the hood release lever, check the fuse there as well, and are you sure you pulled the 15amp fuse from under the hood? I don't recal seeing any 15amp fuses there, but I might be wrong but I do know that the fuse for electrical and radio are INSIDE the car, the location where I just mentioned... and the ground for the radio has NOTHING to do with the tail lights or anything for that matter except for the radio :) I've installed 3 different radios myself and I've never had any problems.. well, ecept for the fuse one time :) and that was a 15amp located inside the cabin where I mentioned... good luck... let me know if you find it...

[email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I probably wasn't really clear....My stereo hasn't gone dead, just the dash lights, and the tail lights. It happened when I turned on my stereo one day. I checked all the fuses in under the hood lever, and they all look fine. The fuse that maps to the lights is supposedly under the hood, but it looked fine also. I might just take it to the stealer or find some other mechanic who will do electrical work for cheap. It's starting to get dark early, and with no tail lights, someone is going to rear-end me.
Matt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Did you put in an aftermarket radio, or is did you have this one in the car for a while? If it was a new installation, I'd tend to believe it was the wiring. This has happened to a few people I know. If the radio has been it the car for a while then it should be checked by an electrician......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oddly enough I got this working again. I kept pulling and replacing the fuse associated with the problem, and it magically started working. There must be a short that is very touchy. It will probably go out at any moment again.
Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts