Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Just wondering if you can help. I have a 2000 LX Protege with a 5 speed manual tranmission. I have had no problems so far, but at 46000 Kilos, the damn thing has started to slip out of 5th gear! The problem is intermittent, but when it does happen, every time I put the car back into 5th, it slips out of gear back to neutral after 30 sec to a minute. It is brutal when it happens, because it grinds, jerks, etc. It seems to be on both acceleration and decceleration. I have taken it to two separate dealers, and because they can't replicate the problem, I end up taking it back only to have the problem re-occur after a week or so of trouble free driving.

I am at my wits end! I don't drive the crap out of my car, and I have had nothing but good things to say about Mazda untill now! Needless to say I am super peeved!

Can anyone suggest what the problem may be so that I can steer the dealer in the right direction?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP IN ADVANCE!

DUNK1

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thats pretty weird it only does it in 5th gear!
I looked at my Haynes repair manual and it came up with 6 possible problems, when the transmission slips out of gear. 1. worn or improperly adjusted linkage 2. Transaxle loose on engine. 3. Shift linkage does not work freely, binds 4. Input gear bearing retainer broken or loose 5. Dirt between clutch cover and engine block 6. Worn shift fork. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zuke626,

I have only had it slip out of 4th once, the rest of the time it is always slipping out of 5th. It took the dealer three days of trying to finally make the car slip out of gear. That is how intermittent the problem is. They kept wanting me to pick it up, but I insisted they drive it till' it slipped.

Needless to say, I am concerned. I only have 46000 on the damn car! I don't drive it hard, so I am not sure how this happened. It is covered under warranty now, but I am afraid this is a sign of things to come.

Thanks a ton for your help. I guess I need to get out and buy the Haynes Repair manual!

Again, I really appreciate the help. This board is really cool.

Thanks MazdaWorld.org

DUNK1

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update on my situation:

Still having a fight with Mazda over a courtesy car, but that is another story....

Dealer finally acknowledged (replicated) the problem on Wednesday, but did not know the root cause. Started to take the transmission apart on Wednesday.

Thursday - identified the root cause as premature wear on the synchro ring and d pin on shaft. Parts are now on backorder I am still without a vehicle.

Called Mazda Canada but to no avail...

Mazda customer service stinks...

DUNK1
:angry:

Last edited by DUNK1 at Sep 27 2002, 09:01 AM

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Originally posted by DUNK1@Sep 27 2002, 08:00 AM
Still having a fight with Mazda over a courtesy car, but that is another story....
You're still under warranty, correct? Or maybe you're not, and that's why they're balking?

Regardless, a loaner car should be the very least they could do - a busted transmission within the first three years of ownership pretty much requires that sort of courtesy, as far as I'm concerned.

Duncan :D - I hate unprofessional service

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update # 2 -

Dealearship has had the car a week and a half and still no parts! I harassed them again for a loner, but they came back with the 'Mazda Canada policy is to only provide a loner after 5 business days of awaiting parts has elapsed'. Based on this crap, they wouldn't provide me one till' Thursday morning (parts went on order last Thursday).

Well, I called Mazda Canada again and asked for a supervisor. Based on my voice mail, guy called back , 'pulled some strings with the regional sales rep', and got my dealer to provide me a car tomorrow. Still no idea when I get my car back.

Total lack of professionalism on the part of Mazda as far as I am concerned, from the dealers up to head office.

Again, I like the car, but it isn't worth this hassel.

My advice to anyone that is having problem with the dealer is to call up Mazda Canada and ask for the supervisor. Don't waste your time with the first Customer Service agent you get.... they didn't even bother to follow up on my first call!

Later,

DUNK1 :angry:

Last edited by DUNK1 at Oct 1 2002, 04:54 PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts