Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got a 2010 Mazda 3 GT. Yesterday when I started my car I noticed the engine light on, and when I was driving on the the highway I noticed the digital gas gauge gradually dropped from a almost full tank shown to empty within half hour. While the gauge reads totally empty I kept on driving and drove all the way home without issues. The car runs normal despite the wrong empty gauge reading.

Does anyone know what is wrong? Is it the fuel sending unit, gauge, or wiring problem?

If the whole fuel pump needs to be remove/replace do I need to drop the tank down or can I remove it from the rear seat cushion?

Any HOW-TO or video would be appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I got a 2010 Mazda 3 GT. Yesterday when I started my car I noticed the engine light on, and when I was driving on the the highway I noticed the digital gas gauge gradually dropped from a almost full tank shown to empty within half hour. While the gauge reads totally empty I kept on driving and drove all the way home without issues. The car runs normal despite the wrong empty gauge reading.

Does anyone know what is wrong? Is it the fuel sending unit, gauge, or wiring problem?

If the whole fuel pump needs to be remove/replace do I need to drop the tank down or can I remove it from the rear seat cushion?

Any HOW-TO or video would be appreciated.

Thank you!
I have exact same issue. I replaced the entire fuel pump ass'y and still have the same problem. I put a meter on the two center pins of the fuel ass'y and see resistance increase/decrease as I moved the float up and down. My fuel pump was OK so now I'm stuck. How was your issue resolved?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would hook up an OBDII scanner and see if there are any codes. Also, any medium-tier scanner or better should be able to read the fuel values coming from the sensor. If the fuel level is the same as what's showing on the instrument cluster, then there's an issue in the car (fuse, relay, wiring, sensor). If it's different, chances are it could be the cluster itself. The process of elimination really helps when chasing electrical gremlins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts