Mazda World Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, maybe this isn't exactly a 'performance' mod, but....

Like most cars, the Protege5 has an intake silencer. The good part is that it is easier to take off than most cars.

Just look under the hood at the air filter box. The long black plastic piece that attaches to that and stretches across the front of the engine bay can be removed by just taking off a few screws.

After this, you gain a little bit of "intake growl" at WOT.

-lucas-

(wishing I could afford the INJEN)

·
Registered
2 Posts
no guide necessary, it takes 30 seconds. theres a long black piece of hollow plastic.. it has flattened areas which keep it from being called a 'tube' and its bolted on at either end so that its suspended over your radiator. unscrew the two small bolts at either side and take it off, thats it. theres a small tube that leads up to it from the airbox, may as well get rid of that as well, then you have more air going into your airbox.

if youre concerned with airflow in general, get an adapter off ebay and then get a K&N or weapon-r cone filter. anybody wants links to some of the stuff i found, you know where to find me. so far, doesnt look like much protoge/323 activity here, so i wont bother spamming with urls. :shifty:

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Give me until this spring (or so) and I'll be beating down your door for info on Protege mods. :)

If I don't decide to hold out for a Mazda6, that is... :wacko:

Duncan :D - oh, I still want a Protege

·
Registered
0 Posts
if you wanted to go ultra ghetto go get some pvc pipe, duct take, a cheap kn filter, make it all fit some how and your good to go. don't ever let anyone see.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by Duncan@Nov 1 2002, 04:53 AM
Give me until this spring (or so) and I'll be beating down your door for info on Protege mods. :)

If I don't decide to hold out for a Mazda6, that is... :wacko:

Duncan :D - oh, I still want a Protege
Be sure to only get the Mazdaspeed Protege' :)

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by ///BHRpowered@Mar 7 2003, 03:58 PM
if you wanted to go ultra ghetto go get some pvc pipe, duct take, a cheap kn filter, make it all fit some how and your good to go. don't ever let anyone see.
If you want to be extremely makeshift, just use the "exhaust" hose that runs from the dryer to the wall.

I actually seen a kidd that worked at Grease Monkey in Alex, do that to his car!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Ok Guys heres the real scoop. Instead of a filter at the end, get a 12 volt converter and hook up a huge Hair dryer at the end of the pipe. The air will filter thru the hair dryer and will work just like a turbo. Kinda look like one too. See what can happen when great minds feed off of one another. :wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blink:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Originally posted by MarksMillenia@Mar 8 2003, 10:40 AM
Ok Guys heres the real scoop. Instead of a filter at the end, get a 12 volt converter and hook up a huge Hair dryer at the end of the pipe. The air will filter thru the hair dryer and will work just like a turbo. Kinda look like one too. See what can happen when great minds feed off of one another. :wacko: :wacko: :blink: :blink:
There are plently of SRI and CAI intakes available for Prots............

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nice. I bought a P5 one month ago, and I'll try the silencer stuff
this week-end. If you have other stuff in the kind, I'd be interested.
Like an easy trick to be able to turn the fog lights on without
having to turn the headlights, or a trick to remove the "chime"
when the door opens while the contact is on.

Also, do you know what a cold air intake REALLY adds as far as HP?
What would be the difference between AEM and Injen (noise, perf, install...)

Thanks a lot.

A new Protege5 enthousiast.

-Tony

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I dont know about the proteges, but on rangers yanking out that silencer, which btw you cant tell unless you know, produces nearly identical results on the dyno as aftermarket intakes. so call it ghetto if you want, but spending $ just to say you spent it...i call that rice. let the dyno tell the tale b4 you bash him to hard

·
Registered
903 Posts
I say cut a hole in your hood, get an empty winsheild cleaner bottle or old milk gallon. Mount that, then run a hose to your intake. Madddd ram air :D

-courtisy of my old high school 'hicks :wacko:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Now see thats just silly, where I come from they used to use mailboxes, much more sturdy.
now that was cool

·
Registered
6 Posts
what I did on mine was modifythe top grille so the air would flow directly into the "silencer" from the front of the car.....seems to help some

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I would have to see some dyno plots first as well. I know the ghetto mod we are talking about on the nissan sentra made nil power compared to the CAI. Anyway I plan to go with the racing beat exhaust and collect that extra supposed 10 hp of the previous mp3. 130 to 140 due to exhaust or so it was stated. Mazda was never really clear on it though.

Marcus

·
Registered
6 Posts
all that 10 HP didn't come from just the exaust.....the MP3 has a diff ecu, they said that made a decent difference also...i'll try to find the article

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Skurge help me out. I tried to download the charts but could not. The paragrapg says that theare basically the same but the MP3 ecu has a better torque curve. If I could intrude and ask you to give me a break down of the curve. If you could tell me the peak numbers of the two ecu on the mp3, that would tell me just how much benefit the muffler is. I am especially interested as I intend to go fot the cat back option.

Marcus

·
Registered
6 Posts
hmm try again...they work for me.......or try "save target as"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts