Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I knew $15k was a touch low when The Car Connection reported it - $19k sounds more reasonable for the four-cylinder.

Still very affordable, though, considering the capabilities of the car. I can't wait to see it in a comparison test...

Duncan :D - Protege or 6? I could go either way now...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Originally posted by Duncan@Oct 31 2002, 04:01 PM
I knew $15k was a touch low when The Car Connection reported it - $19k sounds more reasonable for the four-cylinder.

Still very affordable, though, considering the capabilities of the car. I can't wait to see it in a comparison test...

Duncan :D - Protege or 6? I could go either way now...
Take the 6 man, then you can show it off on the boards :)

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Thing is, I could get the Protege ES up to 160hp (or more) pretty easily with a chip, a cold air intake and an exhaust upgrade. And I've been checking around - going rate for a 1999-2001 ES is about $10-12 grand.

Not bad at all - but the Mazda6 is a damn beautiful car, and quite a bit bigger. I'd just have to wait longer if I wanted to be able to pay for it. With the Protege, the payments would be fairly low, and I'd be keeping it for quite a while anyway.

The 6 is very, very tempting though. Any word on whether the hatchback version will be cheaper than the sedan? That might seal it for me...

Duncan :D - now I'm flip-flopping, damn it!

·
Registered
517 Posts
WTF???? 19k for the 4cylinder??? they need to drop that price some especially with the 6yclinder just 2grand above it... i wud have thought it wud have been 15k to start with.. thats quite gay

and i know someone who wanted to buy the mazda6 for around 15k (tight budget) so didnt wanna go over... thats just gayyyy

·
Registered
903 Posts
That does seem to be kinda steep, especially after that review of spoo(I think) driving one and his comments on the cloth interior as 'cheap'. I agree a price tag starting around 16k would be more resonable. What was the price of a new 626 this year, can't start at 19k can it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
how can the pricing be competitive when the altima can come loaded (4cylinder) for abot 19k... 19k base for the 4banger is a load of shit... mazda shud drop the price... period (start around 14,500) and make the other companies sweat a bit

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Eternal TL2k3@Nov 19 2002, 06:53 PM
how can the pricing be competitive when the altima can come loaded (4cylinder) for abot 19k... 19k base for the 4banger is a load of shit... mazda shud drop the price... period (start around 14,500) and make the other companies sweat a bit
Look at the features on a base Altima, or an Altima S even, and youll see the 6i is competitve at $19k. If you equip the Alti S with the convenience package, that pushes it up over 21k. All the 6i needs to match it almost feature to feature (except auto up windows, unfortunately) is the Premium package.

·
Registered
517 Posts
the altima is also a bigger car though along with the new accord... a car of the mazda6 size should be priced lower to be very appealing to the masses

1 - 10 of 10 Posts