Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, life has certainly been better.
today we put a new radiator because the crap plastic one was stuffed, we flushed the cooling system and did an oil change.
the engine was tapping like crazy even after 15mins the oil treatment. so i embarked on taking the rocker cover off to see what was going on.

This is what i was faced with. RIP JFT.

thats right. the rocker shaft had completely broken off.

:thumbsdown:

so, the plan for now is to get another JFT motor and swap that in with a write up.

·
Registered
85 Posts
is there more damage done or can you just change the rocker shaft or even the head and clean up?

·
Registered
937 Posts
finaly some one with JFT

vertually all mechanical parts will fit from JE, so get a new rocker shaft from local yard (cams might be different)

dizzy is different - its a combination of SOHC and DOHC (JF-07 part number) the cap is DOHC and Rotor is SOHC

Air flow is different and is impossible to find, so take care of it

the throttle body boot is BIG problem, (1) very weak and (2) impossible to find, came down to welding oval section to cooler pipe and using 'stretched beyond its capobilities 3.5in silicone section

while you have valve cover off get the PCV and dizzy plugs on the back of the drivers head, get some silicone o-rings as rubber will leak in 2 months

would not recomend getting boost higher then 1 bar at 1.1 creeps upto 1.3 and boost cut is a nightmare - will print ADZAM on your forehead, and hit it three times you will need to shut the engine off or the buzzer will not shutup

look after electronics as many of them are hard to find if at all.

good to have someone finaly dirtying therir hands with JFT

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thankyou for the info matsuda9, it is going to come in useful in the comming weeks.
i dont know wether or not the engine is salvageable or not.

what i am thinking of doing is buying a JFT front cut off a importer here so we will have spare electronics and piping etc etc. The front cut had 72,000 on the clock so im thinking that might be a 1/2 decent motor. So we will probably have the turbo gear for sale soon.

Since we will most likely be doing a full transplant i will have a writeup here with all the things we find just as a reference for other people doing the same thing.

maybe while all this is happening it would be a good time to put a front mount in. :whistle:

·
Registered
937 Posts
not much room there for front mount, but factory is a good cooler, its about 2JZ supra size, with no radiator or anything else heating it up, unless you put electric fans in straight away i wouldn't put the front mount on.... this engine runs hot.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i see, i must admit im not looking forward to actually doing this engine change but i am looking forward to seeing the finished product.
So now im going on a hunt for JFT information.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok. ordered the whole front cut. going down tomorrow and putting a deposit on it and hopfully picking it up Saturday.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah dima i bought a Luce Limited JFT to add to the collection, to my suprise the engine was fucked.

so now it has become a project

·
Registered
85 Posts
nitro, if it's not a personal question, how old are ya and what do you do for a living?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well chuck, im 21, at uni and i work as a 'cartridge broker' at a printer consumables wholesaler. basicly we collect up empty cartridges from around the place and then sell them off to the UK and the US.

heres the outer shots of my Luce.

·
Registered
85 Posts
damn you've done and spent alot for your age, no offence, you obviously have your shit together and know what you want, well done dude!

she's a nice lookin Luce too

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
cheers heaps for the comments man!

so what do you do?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm 41, married 15yrs, with a 6yr old daughter, was a fridgy with a small shop, but with the wife working and earning more $$ we decided I'd close shop and I'd play Mr. Mom.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds good to me mate.

ill have more updates on the Luce soon

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Since you have all those parts there, would you be able to find out if the turbo plumbing from a 2L JFT can fit a 3L JE ?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no sweat Sim.

yes that is what i was going to do, i had some secret plans going for the manual 929.. hehehe

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I like the get to the bottom of all HC secrets...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts