Mazda World Forum banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
The JFT was availible in all years of HC production.

I would have alot more interest in this subject if I had not heard the horror stories of fitting the turbo plumbing along side the LHD steering components from an old member, 89JFT929. Either way, good luck on this project and another one of your informative threads. I look forward to the finish product.

Let us know when you know about the turbo plumbing and the 3L motor.

·
Registered
937 Posts
thanx for clearing that.... but again i have never seen one :unsure:

Deuse, do you have any information about what that guy did and how he fit the piping and turbo etc?????? why i ask????

well if he successfully did that....... should give me a template to fit a second snail on the JFT..... you know what i mean :ph34r:

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I posted a few random pics within the last 2 months, they were not clear but it might work for you. Wow a TT 2L V6 that sounds sic, I think Honda made one as limited production on there Legend back in 87', I think it made 180HP or sumthin like that...

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Lucky Im a nice guy.

Like I said they really arent too clear, and this is all I have. However he lives near Seattle and I have phoned him a few times. He is quiet knowledgeable. He has even told me about a camber kit that he bought fomo Aus. Supposedly he got 240RWHP from the JFT.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
yeah that turbo is in a complete whore of a position.

ive just been pullingapart the front cut and found the front cut motor has a exhaust recirculation system, but JFT in my car doesnt.. any ideas? ill get pics up shortly.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
ok so we got the motor out of the front cut today.

ill get some pics first thing tomorrow, i found it funny that this motor has knock sensors in the same position as they are on the DOHC motor.

the turbo is a funny looking thing, looks almost like it has two wastegates although i know this cant be true. aside from that it looks like an absolute nightmare. i would hate to ever try to take the turbo off while the engine is still in the car..

pics soon

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
so heres some of the pics you guys have been waiting for.

heres the back of the motor. Note the JF marking and the fact that the crank bolts are the same between the JFT, JE and JEZE.

heres the exhaust side of the turbo.

heres the intake side fo the turbo

knock sensor. (has one both sides)

rear view of the motor.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Id be interested to see what it looks like under all those heat shield. Such an interesting motor. Who makes that turbo again ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you could figure out what the flange was, it would be easy to find bolt on upgrades...

And just so you know, motors can have dual wastegates, especially in a divided housing setup.

·
Registered
937 Posts
the turbo must be IHI, i don't think mazda used any one else

good progress nitros.

htat engine is very different to both that i have.... this must be much later model

i don't have that copper pipe, and my PCV connecter is alloy and yours is plastic

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
ok guys, heres some more pics. these are of the stuffed motor we took out today.

turbo minus the shrouds.

the turbine and waste gate.

whole motor

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Wow, thanks for those. I really hope all that will fit on a 3L, it would be sic...

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
no worries deuce, ill have some more tonight hopefully with the turbo actually off.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
ok guys, so i can confirm that the Turbo is actually a IHI the number looks to be a VJ109001

heres some progress pics.

manifold

no manifold, note knock sensor

mmm turbo

more turbo

pic of the turbine

another turbo shot.

serial number and model.

enjoy.

heres a good site for IHI turbos
http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/m...amp;pagina=RHB5

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
...and look at that skinny piping. No wonder why it only made 150HP and 170LB-FT of TQ.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I already stated most of what I knew, some in the post and more through out the forum if you search. 88JFT929 is the member who made 240+ RWHP with this motor. I dont think it would be too hard with even just bolt on upgrades. Anyways heres a thread where he mentions some info, search him up.

http://forums.mazdaworld.org/index.php?sho...15389&st=40

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
as some of you know i have run into some problems with putting the late model JFT in. the main is the wiring loom.

i have a late model manual wiring loom and a early model auto wiring loom.

i have to use the auto cause i cant find another manual box at this stage, i have to use the late model loom/computer because of the dizzy and the injectors, plus i want the CAS and the seqential injection that the later version offers.

Left: Early Type JFT. Right: Later Type JFT

This is the late model 6 pin dizzy that incorporates a CAS

This is the early model 4 pin dizzy

ENGINE FINALLY IN!!!!!

old stuffed engine (early type)

41 - 60 of 97 Posts