Mazda World Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
thanx guys, i should have some pics up tonight of the progress. one of the injectors is a bit leaky thus reducing fuel pressure but other than that it seems to be sweet.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
well heres the engine in all its glory.

dash is still having some problems that we are trying to sort...

heres the computer mess i have to deal with :ninja:

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
well today was a good day for Project Luce.

since i had it started last we had a huge amount of issues.

The dash would always turn off when the head lights were turned on
reverse lights wouldnt work
trans wouldnt work
injectors were leaking.
and we just couldnt figure out the wiring situation above.

i then went to the auto parts store and then got some new O rings for the injectors which fixed the injector problem. then me and my dad started to work out the wiring. the difference between the S1 loom and S2 connectors was huge. massive amounts of time, soldering and effort later it seemed that the dash was working again long with the tacho. but the reverse lights stayed on and the trans still wasnt working.

we ended up working out that the one of the plugs on the car was one wire different to the loom we were trying to plug into it. it turns out that, that difference was that the S2 plug in the car was a ignition on + feed but the wire that corrosponded on the S1 plug was a reverse light feed. plugged in it was giving a constant 12v to the inhibitor switch and reverse lights. making a short circuit that was just so hard to work out.

plugged it all in and FINALLY drove it of the ramps. backed it out of the drive and went for a quick spin up the street.
all i can say is that i am really impressed with the 2.0 JFT. i came onto boost very nicely and quite hard as well.

all in all the car is 95% complete.

heres a list of things we did:
Installed a low km jap import JFT
removed the EGR system
changed Air Flow Meter
changed ignition module and coil
changed radiator
flushed the heater system
installed a S1 loom and modified it to suit
installed a jap canon muffler
replaced all window regulators
replaced the stock tape player with a sony MP3 player
installed a Alpine Sub and amp
installed Sony rear speakers
installed Clarion competition splits
got fresh coolent and oil.
replaced 2 door handles
got a new wood grain steering wheel
and im sure theres more but i cant remember.. lol

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
ok, now the car is complete. it went through inspection no worries and is now used daily. to be honest the hard work has paid off. but like i said with my dohc 929 conversion i dont want to do it again.. yet somehow i think i will. :huh:

some pics and vids to come

·
Registered
283 Posts
i strugle with the money to modify one Luce, i dont know how you afford a Luce, 929 and an rx7 :lol:

in your opinion, which engine do you prefer... the JFT or DOHC in the areas of performance, fuel consumption, drivability?

i would love to see a comparison on these two engines.

cheers Louis

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
personally i prefer the JFT, theres just something about the way it comes onto boost that i like. the DOHC is an awsome engine though and very well made as far as i can see.

·
Registered
709 Posts
So which one do u reckon is quicker? Surely the DOHC would have to be wouldnt it?
I admire ur work mate, great job.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
yeah the DOHC is definatly quicker. and i love the lower end torque of the DOHC compared to the JFT.. I drive both cars now even though i gave the JFT Luce to my brother so i still get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i struggle with money too lol but got 2 luces and 1 rs type ra legacy. getting 2 jft engines next week then i have 4jft engines total in my back yard lol. thinking bout doing 1 engine as like more power etc like bigger cams, ported heads etc js cheap mods not going all out on it like i said i struggle with money haha **** im addicted to luces im getting more when i can. i know of some for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Karmii ^^ i live in new zealand and nah not selling any jfts lol i keeping as spares sorry. 3 jft engines got manual flywheel and 1 jft in luce is auto. 1 is in my manual shell 2 lying round outside i will cover them next time lol. i gave 1 manual flywheel away to my mate for his luce so yeah.. sorry. got them of a mate. 1 come running and 1 come with rolling body engine not good needs rebuild. (using it as spares) 2 engines of a mate for $500 with manual flywheels!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Seems most have gone quiet on the JFT - I have a bit of knowledge if anyone has any questions, as well as some questions of my own. Have done a twin turbo setup with mine and it is now in a RWD 323 wagon. Going to rip the engine apart since the the pistons/rings/lower bearings havent been touched and 3 cylinders are down on compression. If that proves difficult parts wise I may have to swap everything on to a 3L JE block (of which parts are still a plenty).

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
good day everybody,

I found this topic here and hope to get some help.

it's about a 1988 mazda luce 2.0 turbo with the JFT engine.

I bought this vehicle in its original Japanese condition from an importer and am now looking for technical information.

the first question would be: does the engine have a timing belt or timing chain?

and does anyone have the part numbers to allow for a major inspection? oil filter, air filter, type of oil, V-belt number etc ...

this would be very helpful and nice.

i am writing from germany.

Many Thanks.

81 - 97 of 97 Posts