Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as many of you know i was in search of a luce, the search is now over and i got a new one :)

its rough, but has less kays then mine and in one peace and the interior is almost brand new (double floor mats too) :)

I call it Mars Bar :p

i'm sure that the car has never been washed.... had moss growing our of the boot lid gap (and the gap was full of dirt... it was flush with the panels)

now the work begins....

* turbo gasket
* Timing belt, pulleys, watterpump
* Fluids (duh)
* all Alloy Heater Core
* Steering rack
* Suspension bits
* transplant the heater system from the old one (this one does not have rear vents or Auto button :()

i'm sure that list will balloon like crazy soon - open for suggestions :)

the old one

·
Registered
709 Posts
Nice, great project car. Im guessing its the 2L turbo like the old one? Does it go?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, its a turbo one as well :)

it goes, not bad either, but has massive exhaust leak and boost leak...

·
Registered
931 Posts
looks good man.. welcome to my world now haha.. they are a prick of a car to work on. if you need any help gimme a shout.
sorry to see your old luce in that state mate :( disregard my question in my PM ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
nice find if it is a genuine JFT luce.

2 things ive picked already at a glance

1. 929 boot badge????? pic of genuine LFT luce boot

2. no intercooler scoop on the passenger side of the front bar (bit hard to see in this pic but look below passenger indicator on front bar) –

I know they are bolt on items so what prefix does the chassis start with??

its definetly between 89 to 91 from the looks of it.

same colour as the genuine JFT Luce i sold to nitros13, which is where the pics above came from.

not having a go just want to know for certain its a genuine Luce as ive made it a bit of a mission to try and keep track of all Luce as best as possible in aus B) ..

·
Registered
931 Posts
i would say it is a genuine luce. some knob must have relpaced the boot badge and front bumper. would be good to see the chassis number tho.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its complied by the same mob that did my old one, and they are known to silicone (as holes don't line up) the 929 badges to the boot ( i still have badging from my old one, including the rare Efini badge)

the real distinguishing points of the import:

Color
Short bars
Interior (its Velur but the shape of the leather option Hardtop HC in Australia (sedans had basic seats wrapped in leather)) also the color, its dark brown never was available in Oz.
Speedometer
folding mirrors
the weather shields (as far as i know they were never offered in Australia)
Foglights (on Australian it is high beam)
Limited badge (as it actually mounts through the pegs)
Corner Guides
Boot Lid Hide away lock

the vent, it is possible that the car had bar replaced in its 20 year life (gives good reason to move away from factory weak cooler)

this is 88, cross over model, so it has late taillights and early color, has early fabric interior, late seats

the original owner of this car really hated ticking boxes, as this thing is as basic as Limited could be bought

compare to my old one, no electric drivers seat, no 'star wars' dash, no rear vents, no Auto option on Climate, no moving vents

but it is nothing that cannot be transfered (except electric seat.... long gone :()

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW the VIN is HCFS2xxxxxx

Motor is FS (the neck of the plenum is different), the code on the airflow is different to Oz, and always favorite boost cut light on the dash

·
Registered
931 Posts
so is it a series 2 or one? looks good tho.

·
Registered
849 Posts
cool.

nice find then man..

the "star wars" dash was standard for Royal Classic and Grand Turismo. limited has the analogue dash.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Anyone know where i can get the weather shields on the windows? They look awesome. Can you fit them to Aus model?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Anyone know where i can get the weather shields on the windows? They look awesome. Can you fit them to Aus model?[/b]
good luck it took me 6 months of searching to get the weather shield and factory Luce mudflaps.

aussie and jap are the same body. so they will clip up the same.

·
Registered
849 Posts
matsuda 9 - does your new luce have the Luce metal scuff inserts on the scuff panels that bolt on the bottom of the door opening??

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, started to digging into the wreck. taking bits of i want to keep also learning along the way :)

here some photos :)

there is a turbo down there..... i think :)

could some one please explain why there vaccum controlled butterflies in the manifold?

Could do with some knife edging ay?

and still can't get the turbo out...

so does anyone else want a turbo v6?

·
Registered
931 Posts
the vacuum controlled butterflys in the inlet manifold are there to help with low end torque, off of idle they open proportionately with the rpm to reduce the air speed and therefore torque.

in order to get the turbo out you have to raise the motor out of the car and remove the turbo. it is a absolute shit of a job.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well, heres a good chance to find out if the 2L and 3L blocks are interchangable.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nitros... i'm stuffin' around so want to see if i can get the turbs out from the top :)

BTW were there any brakets bolting it up to the block???

its a complex system, damn... would be interesting if it could do without it.... or better still, welding up that 'bridge port' and using the butterflies as throttle bodies???? :lol:

does JE have them?

i'm sure that 3L block is the same (from the words) one of the guys of the Mazdaworld past has transplanted JF-T gear onto JE... i have a spare JF-T (that is 3 JF-T i have right now *brag*) but i will be building a 3L block... they are cheap enough, if it blows under boost oh well :D

·
Registered
931 Posts
the the JFT and the JE are technically the same block as the quad cam. the reason why it is a 2L is bacause of the shorter stroke. you should be able to put a 3L crank in the 2L block and make it a 3L. yes both the JE SOHC and the JE DOHC and the late model HD JE have the valve things.

i think the mazda engineers realised that the motors were a very revvy sort of motor and came to the conclusion that they had shit low end torque.

umm from memory there is a bracket supporting the turbo that connects to the block.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts