Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
its still there, stuffed as usual.

i really should get it replaced

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
so you drilled another opening of is that one of those "fake" lids ?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
nar the silver one is for the gas (lpg) system and the normal one is for petrol. but i just took the whole gas system out and im just running it on petrol at the moment.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The vacuum needle part is like $26 US and made a huge difference on my 90 DOHC. It would explain the smoke too. Its simple to test, just yank the vacuum hose off. It should be bone dry. If not, replace. Heck, I would just go ahead and replace it before doing the volve body.
Miss you guys, the Toyota forum just is not the same!
[/b]
does any one have a picture of this thing??? im guessing my geabox issue started wiht that and gone so bad that i have only 3rd and 4th gear left.... changing that might give me a bit of drivability before i scavange up cash to replace the box.... 2L engine + 1400kg + 3rd gear start = :'(

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
that would have sucked matsuda9!

i really just need to find someone that doesnt want their gearbox anymore so i can have it. i might give allmaz a call to see if they have one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi,
There is a HC with the DOHC motor down at the wrecker. I'm just wondering why you had to go through all the hassle of modifying the engine/gearbox loom, transmission cooler lines, power steering pump etc... etc...

Would I have the same hassles if I just got the motor and gearbox with all accessories? I can't see why it wouldn't be a direct bolt in?!

Or did you use a DOHC from an HD?

·
Registered
937 Posts
while mechanically the job is simple and will bolt up but electronically they are different.

there is a lot of work was put into this conversion due to upgrade to DOHC gearbox (as it is stronger)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just dont see why anything would need to be changed if I use the DOHC Engine, box, looms and ECU.

If it was working in one car why wont it work in ours?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
the reason why i had to change so much is because i wanted to use the SOHC computer rather than the DOHC computer. This was because it just looked too hard to integrate the DOHC computer into the SOHC car.. not only that, i couldnt find a DOHC loom either. i also had to use a modified version of the DOHC power steering pump because the mounting was different including the A/C compressor, and all the pullies. The power steering fittings are different between the SOHC and the DOHC as well.

The DOHC box actually uses a different trans computer than the SOHC so in order for the SOHC Engine computer to work i needed to use the SOHC trans computer as well.

and dont think about using your SOHC air con compressor either, it doesnt mout up to the DOHC engine, if you try to change the A/C mounts then you have to change the pullies and the resto of the shit. i found out the hard way.

having said that though the DOHC has things the SOHC doesnt.. knock sensors, better dizzy, twin cams and sequential injection.

also in the end i ditched the Auto and bolted up a manual trans too it.. as far as i know i was the first ever to do this..

·
Registered
6 Posts
sup g.just had a quick look thru ur conversion.Lucky i got my 3.0 doch wit da ecu n loom.did everyfng just basicly bolt straght up?Well ill soon find out when my loco low luce z on tz way to life.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
also it is worth mentioning that the Jap spec and the Aus spec alternators are different. the jap spec one is a 70A unit and the Jap unit is 80A.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Mate, your car isn't efi, so first there is the part of the conversion where u have to fit an efi pump and fuel lines, wire in the computer etc. You will need the auto that it comes with, as this is also computer controlled. A custom tailshaft, speedo, engine mounts, gearbox crossmember, auto linkages, and a brake conversion (legally) etc.

Are you up to this? If so, theres lots of people on here that can help.

Oh, n i love the 929L's :wub: Couldnt have picked a better car, just maybe a better engine choice (V8 or JZ) :p

·
Registered
937 Posts
you forgot surge tank.... the carby tanks have a tiny ones, so when converting to EFI you have to have large external surge tank

101 - 118 of 118 Posts