Mazda World Forum banner

question about cost

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DjXsF 
#1 ·
hi there, i'm new to the forum, and i'm kinda just curious. My dad just bought me a 5 spd '92 protoge for $250, and all it needs to be drivable is a new head gasket. Are there any problems that go along with a blown head gasket? do you have any ideas how much it should cost to repair?
Thank You.

#2 ·
your pops got a deal as long as the chassis is any good and there ain't too many miles on the engine. as far as the head gasket if you're fairly mechanically inclined its cake work just involved (pay attention to were everything goes, i usually write my self a diagram and hide the bolts) cost shouldn't be too bad, napa or pepboys should have the whole engine gasket kit for round 100 bucks. as far as damage you want to send the head out a local machine shop for inspection, warpage and cracks and valve failure can result from the introduction of cold water on hot parts. sendin out the head will be around 150. so with investing that and some other small parts you'll have an opperatable ride. now when you want to do turbo you talk to me.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.