Mazda World Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div align="left">Hi all,

I have a 1992 Miata with 90,000 original miles. This car is in very, very good condition. All original except the aftermarket cd player.
My problem is that the rear brake lights stay on all the time! The brake light switch under the pedal is new. Brake warning light on the dash functions perfectly when hand brake is applied.
If you have this problem before or know of a solution, please help me.
I have to unhook the battery terminal every time I turn off the car or the light will drain the battery. The brake lights, left and right, stay on even when the car is not running.
Thank you for reading.
Have a great day!

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I dont exactly know to much about the Miata but isnt there a brake light relay? Maybe the relay has fried and left the connection on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I believe that the brake light switch is adjustable look under the dash at brake pedal and I believe you will see nuts on each side of of the brake switch holding it to the pedal bracket. Back off the switch until the lights goes out and then test them

·
Registered
1 Posts
Realizing this thread is more than a bit old, I will venture another answer. This happened to me. It was simply a small plastic part, a "bumper" of sorts, about 3/4" in diameter. It had fallen off, probably the plastic having aged. It looks like a button with a barb on one side.
Mine was brown (not that this matters except for the purists). This is attached through a hole on the brake pedal and the spacer pushes on a switch when the brake pedal is UP in the resting position. When the brake pedal is UP, the switch closes. Pedal down and the switch opens and the brake light turns on. If this spacer is missing, the switch will always be open -and the brake light on.
An easy fix but it did require me having to remove the front seat in order to get to it. At least I was finally able to vacuum under the driver's seat.
By the way, there is a similar part, the same part number really, on the clutch pedal requiring you to press the clutch pedal in order to start the engine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts